Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

few pc questions...

• 20-07-2002 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭

I just built a pc, and it runs fine ..but every time i boot up it says that my cpu is not working and that i need an IDE 80 conducter cable for my Primary hard-drive. - what is that cable and does/did it come with the power supply or do i have to buy it?

Also...if i put my new hard drive into it, it formats but when i try to install a Dell copy of Windows ME, it won't allow me, "will not run on your machine"- is there anyway of getting around this? Is it just the cd?

thx in advance and all the rest..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

the ide cable come with the motherboard, its the flat wide one. Usually you get 2, the one that looks like it has more wires packed on it is the ide 80 your looking for.

The cpu probably just needs to be setup. read the mobo manual for that.

I dont think theres any way around the dell WinME problem, I had a similar problem with a gateway win98 disk and I couldnt get round it. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Are you uuing an old IDE cable???

Should invest in a new one.

the cd isnt a full version its the cd you would get if Dell had preloaded the software onto the PC.
    I might be wrong on that but gateway do it that way (there is a way to install it but its sneaky, search google for it )

Kdja

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭[nicK]

cheers lads,

but, that ide 80 cable, where should i connect it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

The IDE80 cable goes from your motherboard to your hardrive usually. It is distinguisable from the older IDE cable normally because the part that plugs into the motherboard is blue instead of black.

Even our local rip off merchant shops here sell them for about 5 euro a shot.

i never got that with my motherboard...should i have?

komplett couldn't possibly have ****ed me, could they?

• Advertisement

Normally you get one IDE cable and one Floppy cable with a new motherboard. With some motherboards you will get the older IDE cable, with others the newer one. You obviously got the older one.

ahh yes, i have a few of those ide cables ...ill mess around with them and hopefully one of them is the right one.

as for the windows cd - where could i get one compatible with my motherboard? i'm not going to have to buy the full windows package for the high street price am i?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Theres no way they'd give you an older one, are you using the ide cable that came with the motherboard yes/no?

About the problem with windows me, its saving you the hassle of actually using windows me. Go get win2k instead.

The only way you'd get an old IDE cable would be if your mobo was an older one that was being flogged (you sometimes see these on special).

I'm with Gerry on the Windows ME thing tho' What a disaster that is. Windows 98 SE is far better if that's your thing. Windows 2000 Pro is solid as a rock. Whatever you do, don't get Windows ME, even if it's free.

thx guys, /me burns the windows me cd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Did you get a retail mobo from komplett? I ordered a Abit KR7A from komplett and as it was a retail mobo I got the floppy and HDD IDE cables with em.. :D

you might not have got a retail mobo...

Advertisement