Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can ISDN D channel be used ?

Options
  • 21-07-2002 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

I have Eircom ISDN, in some countries the D channel can be used as a 24/7 16k download, for example always on email downloading. I've asked Eircom but nobody knows what I'm talking about. I suspect, knowing Eircom, that its disabled here.

Does ne1 know if it works here and if so how can it be used ?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

No, it is not in use in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭ando

eircom did have plans to introduce it in september last year. I dunno if its available now or not, but I'm 100% sure they did have plans to launch a service like your describing.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭oisin

Thanks guys, I'll try Eircom again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Nope you cant use the D channel here. To open the D channel Eircom would need to provide a gateway from the D channel to their IP network ( such as their Frame Relay/ATM backbones) , as such they have never done this , or more to the point is has never been "productised" - the business case would never stack up anyway ( now where have we hard this before!!??). BT and the likes of France Telecom offer it.

Not too sure how good it is anyway & takeup seems pretty low where it is offered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

My experiences of the D channel were with certain business ISP's in the UK. The scenario came into effect when small companies wanted to run a local mail server but the ISP's insisted on them using NAT routers. The connection wasn't always on but the ISP amil servers were configured to use the D-Channel to bring up the router's B-channel connections, and get the local mailserver to do a 'collection' using POP. Can be pretty useful then, but if you don't got it, you don't got it. Another example of Eircom grabbing failure from the jaws of success.

• Advertisement
Advertisement