Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to wave?

Options
  • 21-07-2002 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭

Where in Ireland has the best waves? And can I hire a wetsuit with ease or not in Ireland, how much would it cost? I just love bodysurfing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Not in the local swimming pool anyway!

Last time I did that I was asked to leave and bring my friend dressed as a dolphine with me.

Anyway your best bet is to check out a tourist info center near to ya!

If its body surfing the wave size wont be hugely important so most beachs should do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

If your in Dublin the nearest place to go is brittas bay (which once in a blue moon is decent but is by far one of the suckiest places to go)

La Hynch in Cork is great and you can rent all you need there.
    Easkey in Sligo (by far the most impressive waves I've ever seen)
    and you can rent all you need here too. It's a village, you'll find everything in the tourist info centre, in fact the tourist info centre anywhere will give you what you need. (watch out for the rock hard seabed and the locals in either of the above spots, particularly la hynch)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

East Coast is generally pretty poor for waves, but if you pay attention to forecasts you can get reasonable luck in the south east. Tramore for one has a pretty active surfing crowd, and on rare occasions it can really go off there.

Other than that, the top two mainstream places have been mentioned -

Lahinch (which is in Clare last i checked)

and Easkey are pretty good.

Any time you are planning a weekend tho - try to check forecasts -for Lahinch in particular there is a daily and projected surf report at http://www.magicosoftware.net/surf/lahinch.asp - which is also the shop where you can rent stuff. Generally if conditions are very rough/good they sometimes won't rent gear to people as they are likely to damage it or get damaged.

A good spot I find is in Cork - Barley cove - small little beach but can be fantastic and is close enough to 2 or 3 other decent spots. I would say your best bet is buy a body board, fins and wetsuit (they are cheap - a new suit for surfing you could probs get for 150 and there is a decent second hand market) and then just locate yourself in an area and drive around all the beaches checking. Its what most people tend to do as lcoalised conditions can varely hugely.

Jak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Tramore for one has a pretty active surfing crowd, and on rare occasions it can really go off there.
    Check out http://www.surftbay.com/surf_report.php for a daily update and photo.

Garretstown in Cork is about the closest break to the city. It's mostly beginners and there's a friendly atmosphere there. it works on a low-mid tide. It's a fairly easy wave to ride. High-tide there can be a fairly heavy shorebreak so watch out.

Take a trip down to Inchydoney too and drive around there are plenty of good beaches down there.

The best waves, though are in the west and north-west.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Lahinch is in clare and is got some damn good waves. The surf shop down there rents boards and suits by the hour and I think they will still tell you if its worth going down for thw aves if you ring them before hand. And of course there is O'Looney's pub which is great for food and drink.

kayos

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭TetsuoHashimoto

Lahinch is the place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Might head to Lahinch next weekend, looks like the west might be going off.

I'd say The Peak looks like the best break in Ireland from what I've seen, doesn't look suitable for bodysurfing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

The Maharees is a good place to surf, But defo the most impressive waves are in the NW of the Country along the Sligo, Donegal coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Thanks everyone, great help.

/me downloads some beach boieez in readiness...

Advertisement