Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Electric Shocks

• 21-07-2002 11:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭

Ok i am ****ing fed up of getting shocks from cars, banisters and lockers, everyday this happens and its driving me mental!!!!

any ideas and how to stop this, short of suggesting gloves

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

You could always try permenantly earthing yourself with a huge copper wire ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Your shoes are the problem. You probably wear plastic soled shoes that do not let the static release from your body.

I got that loads by wearing cotton trousers I think it was. I sat on a plastic chair and whenever I moved it would charge more. It's like that Van der Graaf machine, friction building up more and more.

Change your shoes basically. Unfortunately I'm not sure what to. Leather soled shoes maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

its probally static electricity,some people seem to be more prone to it than others.
    try non insullated soles on your shoes like leather as this will help static build up ground itself naturally through the day rather than suddenly all at once when you touch something metalic which is what causes the shock sensation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Copper wrist band is supposed to stop it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

ah yes, the horrible thing that is static electricity...I'd have to laugh at all the people that jump and shout "ah!" when they try touch the banister in dunnes stores..

best thing ya can do is change yer shoes imho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

Originally posted by SearrarD
    Ok i am ****ing fed up of getting shocks from cars, banisters and lockers, everyday this happens and its driving me mental!!!!

any ideas and how to stop this, short of suggesting gloves

A more Fool Proof and Easier way is to just touch the ground (Non Carpet BTW! Very Importent) with your finger when you are going to be touching a likely surface (e.g. Car Door) . Hey Presto.. Your Earthed!

No More shocks for you :)

Also, with the car situation, handle the Glass or the door handle. Not the actual metal.

This works for me, as I used to dread touching the car door. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

or you could post it on the after hours board, or the science board, or the oh look ive got a problem, i will share it with the world board.
    do you realkly think static electricity is a personal issue?
    becuase i dont.

by the way, change your shoes, its the rubber on the souls insulating you from the ground.
    very annoying.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Stop wearing rings too, if you wear any.. I notice it builds up a lot more if you were a few rings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Happens me a lot. I never touch a metal bannister before touching off it with my elbow or something (no shock that way). I once went out with a girl who had the same problem - a kiss would result in a shock to both of us (relationship didn't last - it may have been electric:D) but it was painful (I'm serious - I'm not making it up).

It's bad enough that putting my hand within a foot of a radio aeriel will often make the radio reception a lot better and the radio louder as a result. My mother used to find that one hilarious for some reason.

Changing shoes doesn't seem to make that much of a difference to me - hardly ever happens when I wear rubber soles but having smelly feet is a big price to pay for avoiding a few static shocks.

So, earth yourself before touching something metallic (particularly if you're on a marble or glass floor (all stairs in the UL library) - if like me you teach yourself to do it automatically, you'll never get another shock from stairs, cars, lockers, whatever. And don't go out with any women with the same problem. The one thing to be careful of is the shock you may get when you step out of a car - haven't found a way around this yet. As Mutz probably also does, I always close the car door by pushing the window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

Low humidity seems to make it worse too. I was staying in a town in the rocky mountains with v low humidity and I was nearly killed with shocks. Mind you it might also have been the very expensive deep pile carpet that was everywhere (very rich town). Or maybe both. Wooley jumpers don't help either - mind you if your full of static switch off the lights, pull off your jumper and watch the light show (you may feel less sad and pathetic if you do this with a loved one).

If you want to shock someone on purpose, slide along deep pile carpet and then touch them with your finger.

B

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭ciderandhavoc

the worst for this is the steps down to the lower ground floor in Easons (O'Connell Street, Dublin), its the handrail in the centre, I don't touch it now, its evil.

Bloody strange!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

This used to always happen to me when i was younger but i just grew out of it.As said department store handrails(the ones that are very smooth,copper coloured and prone to scratching)and car doors were all bad for me.Just left me though:) I got a slight shock a few days ago but it was the first time in ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

I suffer from this as well, quite annoying really. I've learnt to touch a banister/car door/etc. with my knuckle first before I put my hand on it. i.e. make your hand into a fist and then touch your knuckle off the metal object, hey presto no pain! :D

viking:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭mdf

Touch the door/object with a key before touching it with your hand - works!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

its probally static electricity,some people seem to be more prone to it than others.

Yup this would be the case I belive.

Id suggest that the only way to cure this alement is to build up a resistance to electricty.This can be achieved by sticking ones finger into the plug socket in your home.Repeatly subjecting yourself to this procedure will ensure that the wussy little charges you get from your car,rail,carpet or underpants after you do a good session,will hardly be noticeable.

The doctor is leaving the building.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Originally posted by Venom
    Yup this would be the case I belive.

Id suggest that the only way to cure this alement is to build up a resistance to electricty.This can be achieved by sticking ones finger into the plug socket in your home.Repeatly subjecting yourself to this procedure will ensure that the wussy little charges you get from your car,rail,carpet or underpants after you do a good session,will hardly be noticeable.

The doctor is leaving the building.
    i kinda tried some thing like that early in my youth.

i got the carbon from a pencil and held it near the spark the lights the gas on our cooker.

just taught i would see what would happen.

the result was a large shock that traveled up my arm. very painful :(

there was a lesson learned that day ;)

dont mess with electricty, it nearly always win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

Samba changed a fuse in the plug for the commodore 64 when he was 10 or so, with the plug plugged in, he got blasted against the wall on the other side of the room and scared the living sh!t out of the rest of us sitting downstairs having lunch on a sunday afternoon :D

I used to get electric shocks from the pinball machines so I changed my shoes :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Could be a lot worse - you could be evicted as a result of your electric shocks

Like this poor chap here:D

Advertisement