Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips & Tricks

• 21-07-2002 11:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭

OK, so what tips do you have for the culinary mind?
    I have a few but can only think of a couple right now.

• To check if your eggs are fine or rotten: Place them in a bowl of water ddeeper than the eggs. If your eggs sink - they are fine, if they float - they are rotten. (Akin to the witchtrials of yore...)

• Eggs again. Always check your eggs in the supermarket. I got a 6 pack of eggs one time that only had 5 in them. pesky kids.

• Put a few [rice] grains in your salt cellar to prevent moisture and clumpy salt. (or does everyone in the world know that)

OK, mine are pretty crappy really. You must have better!

[d'oh, thanks lawnkiller, didnt see that!]

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

In order to keep your cake or pastries fresher longer, place a piece of white bread in the container with it and seal it, you"ll get atleast another week or so if your slow at eating that sort of stuff ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

I've heard that you shouldn't drink red wine from a crystal glass,

reason: - the red wine can absorb some of the lead from the crystal, thus giving you lead poisoning, which i'm sure that no-one wants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

on that note, be careful of opening older bottles of wine.

Rip the seal from well below the top of the bottle as this seal was once made of lead. If you rip from the top you can run the risk of getting lead on the opening of the bottle and ingest some of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

if you spill red wine , it can be removed using white wine , or so my mama says anyway .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by OLDYELLAR
    if you spill red wine , it can be removed using white wine , or so my mama says anyway .

Even easier (and cheaper) - you can remove red-wine spills using lots of table salt. I usually have one of those 500g saxa bottles around for just such an emergency.

Learned the trick from a cousin. Dinner my place, the night before the landlord was coming to check for damages cause I was about to move out. We spilled 1/2 bottle of red wine on a cream carpet. One bottle of salt (sprinkle on, brush off, repeat. Do !not! rub it in) later, and all was well again.

jc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,529 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

When preparing Ginger and Garlic to add to a meal (e.g. Chinese) prepare the garlic first, so you're fingers smell of pleasant ginger smells, instead of smelly garlic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

In most garlic crushers, you wont need to peel your garlic first. Just put in the clove, crush, and then take the "paper" skin out from the crusher. Cleaner too.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

if you have to make fousands of Sambos, use a spoon and flora to butter the bread...and butter bread in half the time....mwahahahaha!

always have tossed salad as its so handy for anything!

when choppin onions, chew gum and you'll never cry!

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Lawnkiller

Originally posted by SearrarD
    if you have to make fousands of Sambos, use a spoon and flora to butter the bread...and butter bread in half the time....mwahahahaha!

always have tossed salad as its so handy for anything!

when choppin onions, chew gum and you'll never cry!

a slice of bread(white) usually does the trick if gum is absent.
    (absorbs the nasty crying stuff or sumfin)

rice in the salt shaker is good too - those must the grains reffered to.(sorry)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by SearrarD

yup, spoon=winnar

For slicing onions, I find it as good to halve the onion and run the halves under a cold tap first. No crying then either.

• Advertisement

When making white sauce (for cheese sauce/bechamel) use corn flour and milk instead of flour and milk and butter - it's healthier and easier to make, less chance of lumps and I find it's easier to solidify. It also seems less heavy (more brotherly...)

oh yeah, corn flour has a cool knack of seeming solid and liquid if you use a tiny amount of milk when mixing, great fun for 10 minutes of playing with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

If you want to get rotten drunk, I find a bottle of Jack Daniels does the trick nicely.

Use cornflour to thicken ANY sauce. That's what the Chinese take-aways do, along with MSG.

Use peanut oil instead of Olive\vegetable to add more taste to any fried food. Unless of course you're allergic to peanuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭accensi0n

if theres a draft in a room and you don't know where its coming from get a candle and light it. walk around the room with it and wherever it flickers thats where the draft is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

I put holes in sausages. Am I evil?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭accensi0n

your as evil as hitler

I cooked some Superquinn sausages last night. When I attempted to prick holes in them they resisted. They must have invented a new non-prickable sausage!!?

They were nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Don't eat yellow snow.

(I must be an egg-fanatic)
    When shelling boiled eggs, do it inside a bowl of water, then your shell doesn't go all over the place, you can drain bowl afterwards easily.

• Advertisement

Wrapping a cold carton of milk/juice in wet tissue paper will keep it cold out of the fridge for more or less a whole day (handy if you're working somewhere that doesn't have a fridge). I'm not sure but I think it works because the wet paper absorbs the heat from inside the carton by evaporation, so it keeps what is inside the carton cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

if you want to peel a tomato, stick it in a bowl of boiling water for a couple of minutes, then take it out & poke it with a knife. the skin should fly off now;)
    it's much less hassle to just use a tin of them tho

Does anyone else reckon this should be made a sticky? There's some quite useful stuff here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Don't eat yellow snow.
    :D
    brings back some funny drunken memories
    Does anyone else reckon this should be made a sticky? There's some quite useful stuff here...
    damn straight!

Originally posted by Kolodny
    Wrapping a cold carton of milk/juice in wet tissue paper will keep it cold out of the fridge for more or less a whole day (handy if you're working somewhere that doesn't have a fridge). I'm not sure but I think it works because the wet paper absorbs the heat from inside the carton by evaporation, so it keeps what is inside the carton cold.

Yes, good tip for when you are in a hot country too,soak a towel around your water bottle and keep it in the shade.

My father lived in Oz for a while and kept his beer cold by sticking a wet towel round his cans and lodging the cans to his leaking car radiator. As he drove the water would evaporate and suck the heat from the tinnies and he would have a constant supply of water from the leak!

**Tip
    When squeezing citrus fruit for juice with a spoon or a squeezer - microwave for a couple of seconds and the flesh will be easier to squeeze enabling a more productive squeeze. (mmmm productive squeezes...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

If your heating up food in the microwave sprinkle a small bit of water over it before you put it in. (works great with rice)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

I also think that this thread should be stickied!

*BUMP*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Originally posted by Kolodny

Your wish is my command ;)

Kayos

• Advertisement

Advertisement