Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dma

• 21-07-2002 7:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭

I'm running a win2000 machine dual boot with 98SE on FAT32. The hard drive is stuck in PIO mode even though I have the DMA if available is on. My main drive is a Western Digital Caviar wd204bb 7200. And it should have DMA on it. I bought another drive today 80gig maxtor drive. And transfer one folder that was 1.2 gigs to the new drive it took 13 minutes!!!

The new drive is ntfs though so that might have an effect on it. But I can't seem to switch the dma mode on. My pci bus is also missing a driver. That might have something to do with it, but I can't seem to find the driver on the internet for it. Dell 4100 Dimension, also looked at the dell website and they don't have the driver either. Help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

did you try windowsupdate/driverguide or http://updates.zdnet.com

I forget the reg hack but I believe it lies somewhere within h_key_local_machine/currentcontrolset/services/class/about 10down from that you should find your primary ata/ide controller and you add a new dword EnableUdma66 1.

I'd go with the drivers though, then enable it as it should.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Cool, I did try that and definitely thought it would work. But it didn't so I upgraded the IDE controller driver to UDMA and bobs your uncle. Thanks anni, would of need to do that anyway.

Advertisement