Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer work

• 10-03-2001 9:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

Anyone know where would be a good place to apply for work during the summer around Dublin, Naas area. I'm in first year of a Computer Engineering degree in NUI Maynooth and i am interested i the networking, programming side of computer's but anything in computer industry would be good.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭podgeen

me looking for similar job.. me third year computer systems.. any where in ireland would be good....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Renton

Im 17, in sixth year in school and I have a job equally as fun if not better muwhahahaha :P

RentZ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

decdoc.. mail Verb.
    he has worked in the physics department as an admin in NUI for the past two summers.
    might be the handiest if your already there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

This country needs Software Developers MY FOOT!!

I am in my 3rd Year Software Dev., and anywhere I look for a job, I hunted back to unemployment by the word "EXPERIENCE".

How the **** are we supposed to get experience if they won't give us a chance. I hope we can make a big deal out of this; for all the IT students looking for work this summer.

I know that companies might not want to give someone a chance just for the summer months, but I never told anyone it would just be for the summer!. I myself have knowledge of several languages and usually match the technical requirements of the advertised job. But still nothing.

I wish the government would do something to help people like myself (who want to help this country advance, with S/W Dev.)

I am sick and tired of hearing about wee Patrick Murphy down the road, who got a job with IBM, because his wee Daddy knows some head guy in IBM. Oh!, did I forget to mention Patrick is only interested in who is going to win the premier league, and has no interest in computers. Won't the parish think he's great when they see he how well he is doing with his DTP skills?
    Here paddy, have a full time job!!. It's not like anyone else needs/deserves it.
    --(Note: Characters made up)--

SORRY!, Sorry!!, I got a bit carried away there, but anyway; I am sure that type of story is familiar to all of us.

So with that I will retire to my EJB project combined with enough caffeine to keep me awake (until wee paddy has to get up for work). :-)

:-phobos-|

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i never knew any patricks when i worked in IBM...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by phobos:
    How the **** are we supposed to get experience if they won't give us a chance. </font>

Try offering to work for free.

Btw, I know my place offers summer work to collage and people wanting to learn about the industry. However the application forms closed last month (plus I'm out of Ireland, so it's too much hassle to set up).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

I have to agree that the word experience excludes alot of good college students from getting jobs. When I left college (with a cert in Elec Eng) I had no problems getting work even though I knew none of the languages I ended up using in work. If your looking for exp I think you really do have to bend over and grab you socks when it comes to money but that changes once you've proved your worth. I think the main thing here is that no matter how much your learn in college nothing can prepare you for the real world and companies dont like hiring ppl for just 3 months because at that stage they have just brough you up to speed. I know where I work all grads/newbies to the company go through a three month training program. We have no problems in hiring ppl with no exp. Phobos you said you never told them it was only for the summer but they know your in thrird year in college so unless you tell them your dropping out or finished this year they will presume your going back. Have you tried www.infopoint.ie they were looking like mad for programmers a while back maybe they'll take you on.

As for the young lad down the road getting a job because his dad plays golf with the MD I hate that to. Although it can happen with you knowing (ain't that right Dav).

Anywho thats my 2 cents worth

kayos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

Work like a buzzard to get yourself on the inside track for something while you're still in college; network like mad. That will help. I'm **** at it though, but I do have a few options to follow.

It is funny that everyone says you get hired straight out of college etc, blah blah - it doesn't happen though, in just about any career, you've always got that starting off bit to contend with - computers graduates probably have the easiest time though.

The only way to counter-act this ****ty situation is to work hard, apply for everthing, do all the interviews, don't be arrogant and search for that special situation where someone is in desperate need of someone. Make sure you do goto a place that is prepared to train you - make that your first priority - otherwise they just want you cheap and to burn you out - you'd be better on the cheaper job that trains for sure.

With tech markets going down the drain, its a harder summer than two years ago to get employeed, especially for summer work - welcome reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Im 17, in sixth year in school and I have a job equally as fun if not better muwhahahaha :P
    RentZ</font>

A fun job eh?
    I find that hard to believe. smile.gif At least at 17.
    So do tell us, so that we all maybe in awe of this wonderous thing!
    RENTON!

Gideon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭havok*

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hobbes:
    Try offering to work for free.
    </font>

Yeah,
    I'd had to do that @ Havok.com,
    and beleive me they had hundreds off ppl that where willing to do the same.
    They only took on 4 ppl, so i was lucky to get in on it.
    Plus this was during college, so i had to quit my part time job to do it, The Date to have the demo's done for also fell only 2 days after my final 3dsmax (2 week project) exam. So as u can imagine it got fairly intence, i worked 22 hours a day for 2 weeks to get the demo's out and get my destintion in the max exam.
    An opertinity does'nt always come @ the wanted time smile.gif
    I done it to get first hand games industry expeirance, and of course in a country with about all of 4 game developers it looks savage down on a C.V

In fairness to them they did give us a few hundred quid for doing it,
    and got tons of developers signed up baced on the demo's we produced

Bottom line is beggers cant be choosers, Your not going to land that dream job straight out of college.
    Expeirance is more valusble then any deegree u might have.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Cheers Guys,

Now how come I am not told this kind of stuff in college??

It's like you come out with every **** hot programming language under your belt, but have no idea where to apply or how much to demand (before you start take the ****, or they try to take this ****).

I will take that advice and hardcode it in to my head. Anyway I have managed to get some job offers.

N E 1 be able to tell me how much I should earn. All I have to date are my 3 years of Software Dev (in college) and 1 year web design (experience). @ the moment Java is my main language of expertice ("Expertice" yeah right!).

The offers are:
    1) Developing n-tier distributed systems using Enterprise JavaBeans + XML (Contract for summer and continue part time during my final year).

2) Web Design (admin a single site, with some web scripting, Java, and SQL Server)

Thanks again,

:-phobos-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

hey havok* , what did you do for havok.com ?

Hugh was my lecturer in 2nd year...he was a cool guy who gave us sweeties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by phobos:
    Cheers Guys,
    The offers are:
    1) Developing n-tier distributed systems using Enterprise JavaBeans + XML (Contract for summer and continue part time during my final year).

2) Web Design (admin a single site, with some web scripting, Java, and SQL Server)

B]</font>

Eamonn, dya really need to think about that? I'd have gone for #1 straight off, especially with opp. for wk during 4th yr. Whats the co.? That tree-named one Dav used to work beside?

Al.

Advertisement