Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happened to the chilli peppers

Options
  • 21-07-2002 11:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭

What the hell has happened the red hot chilli peppers , their new album is just for lack of words kinda gay. By the way has one good bit in it where it gets kinda rocky but if just let down by the rest of the song . This trend is continued through most the tracks on the new album. Calforication was a poppy album for the chillis but i didnt think they'd take it this far, at least is had songs like around the world and purple stain. Maybe one album too much ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

its called walking into a studio, pressing the big red button that says "bog standard red hot chilli peppers music" and pushing record on the dac.

its a woeful album. compare it to the (at the time) slated One Hot Minute which sounds so much more funky and like theres more than three seconds of thought put into every song... they've just got worse and worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

I like the new album.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

I quite like it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I didnt' like it at first, but the more I listen to it ...

it;s not actually that bad.

What it is, is rather laid back mellow music. What it is not, is Californication.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭artvandelay

listen to there old stuff like on blood sex sugar magik and u can hear how main stream they've gotten. Seems anything a little heavy would'nt sell any more. all people want hear crap with people singing about there feelings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

What happened? They got older, wiser and better. Lyrically maybe not, but the musicianship is outstanding on by the way. Throw away your television- Bass, and drums for that matter, Minor Thing- guitar and lets not forget Anthony's singing which has really developed. What we have here is tremendous tempo, unerstanding of rhythm patterns and all the good stuff that you usually only figure out when your stoned but now you can experience it your sober and open minded. Gay, I think not. This is the Chili's on dope, not speed thats all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 SomeFink

at first I thought it sucked ass, but now its grown on me,

anyone got any soap?

just kidding, but there are too many slow songs, speed it up, funk it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭deco

Don't mean to be dogmatic...aw fúck that....

Ye are all wrong!!!

The album blows monkeys....

That new song is foul...I mean absolutely foul....

Words cannot expressmy seething anger....

Originally posted by deco
    Don't mean to be dogmatic...aw fúck that....

Ye are all wrong!!!

No we all have our own opinions.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Dr. Loon

No we all have our own opinions.

Nice to know...;)

The Chili's new album is awful if you compare it to "Blood Sugar Sex Magik"...

Well thats what loads of money does to a band....

Even look at the sticker on the front of the album, it tell u how long it is. Whats that got to do with anything. Also saying it's the follow up to califorication, who dos'nt know that! This album seem to be aimed just at the kids . People who think the Red hot chilli peppers started with califorication.

Originally posted by deco

Nice to know...;)

The Chili's new album is awful if you compare it to "Blood Sugar Sex Magik"...

Well thats what loads of money does to a band....

Fúck sake. Bands change all the time. It happens has to, otherwise they'll get bored. I agree, it's nothing close to Blood Sugar Sex Magic, but it's still great.

I don't think Pearl Jams other albums really lived up to Ten, aside from Vs. maybe, but still they changed.
    Same with Metallica, same with Jamiroquai, same with loads of bands.

Whiney bástards. If bands didn't change or mature, we'd have a boring shít world of music, with the same shít being produced constantly. You don't like it? Keep listening to Blood sugar....blah blah....

I can't imagine it was the band that decided to put a sticker on the front of the album saying how long it was... record company no doubt.

There is such a thing as toom much change. At least the album has one or two redeming song "Cant stop" for one, nice bit of bass. Everything else if for a nice evening in with ur feet up with the fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

I disagree...yield is pearl jam's best album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭metalish

Originally posted by artvandelay
    listen to there old stuff like on blood sex sugar magik and u can hear how main stream they've gotten. Seems anything a little heavy would'nt sell any more. all people want hear crap with people singing about there feelings.

I totally agree with you artvandelay, Blood Sugar Sex Magic is my favourite Chili's album, with songs on it i like, Give It Away, Under the Bridge and I Could Have Lied To You. they have gone a tad bit up the main stream but once you get your albums into the top ten you sorta do have to make that jump. Although the new songs that they played at thier concert here off "By The Way" did sound very very good live. Even though they are coming into the mainstream their shows are still one of a kind and they still keep their idenity, its a new road for them to take.

Originally posted by SheroN
    I disagree...yield is pearl jam's best album.

We ain't talkin abuot Pearl Jam here, but that's your opinion.
    I reckon they became shíte after Vs. After Dave Abruzzesse was kicked out.

Anyway, I think the Chilli's have come along great, they said this album is a lot lighter and mellow than their previous stuff, and they were right, but I like the style. Of course for pure funk and style you can't beat Blood sugar sex.....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Originally posted by artvandelay
    listen to there old stuff like on blood sex sugar magik and u can hear how main stream they've gotten.

WHAT? MAINSTREAM?! NOOOO! Why, that's a crime against all humanity!

* runs off and slashes wrists in a fit of angst *

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

the new album is as mellow as a well stoned Kenny G

i still like it but i want the old style back!

Originally posted by Dr. Loon

Fúck sake. Bands change all the time. It happens has to, otherwise they'll get bored. I agree, it's nothing close to Blood Sugar Sex Magic, but it's still great.

I don't think Pearl Jams other albums really lived up to Ten, aside from Vs. maybe, but still they changed.
    Same with Metallica, same with Jamiroquai, same with loads of bands.

Whiney bástards. If bands didn't change or mature, we'd have a boring shít world of music, with the same shít being produced constantly. You don't like it? Keep listening to Blood sugar....blah blah....

I can't imagine it was the band that decided to put a sticker on the front of the album saying how long it was... record company no doubt.

Oh for Gods sake man...

My point is that it isn'y of the same QUALITY as "Blood Sugar..."....

I agree completely, bands have to change. If they stay the same it is very, very easy to get bored of them (just look at Oasis)...

But still their new album isn't a step in what I consider a good direction....

And as for your point about Mettalica and Co....none of their recent output has matched the sheer brilliance of the earlier albums...they've changed...but not in a good way...

For an example of "good" change see REM and U2...bands that have the intelligence and depth to keep challenging themselves...

• Advertisement
Advertisement