Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

your opinion of internet music swapping!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

I think youll find that popular music has ruled the music business since the 60's.

Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers?
    Monkees?

Nearly all of the motown stuff was manufactured. With the slight caveat that most of them could actually sing. etc etc etc. nothing new here folsk, move along.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭fester

I think youll find that popular music has ruled the music business since the 60's.
    yeah, i was just thinking that after i posted. I agree.
    My point still stands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭BJJ

it's not a good thing, it's a great thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭BJJ

Originally posted by Dustaz

Admitedly, the price is TOO high, but comments like that are moronic.

The only moron here is you Dustaz,
    now F*ck off back to your Ireland offline forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

If i want 1 song i will download it. its as simple as that. I dont want to go out and buy the ablum if i only want one song. Although i did download thw whole Counting Crows Hard Candy album .. but i plan to buy it so no harm done :D

Its just the people that download albums, make cds of em and then sell em off that are the real problem. Not the people that download 1 or 2 songs of artist cos they like thoese songs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Originally posted by BJJ

The only moron here is you Dustaz,
    now F*ck off back to your Ireland offline forum.

Actually all his points are valid and make perfect sense. If you cant grasp the concept of reality maybe it's you that needs to fuck off.

Its just the people that download albums, make cds of em and then sell em off that are the real problem

Do people do that? Not that I know of!

And Winters, i know it's not too bad when it's only one or two tracks your downloading... but when you start to get faster internet connections one or two albums aint too bad either. And thats where the problem starts.

...but i dont care.

im going to download 'the cold vein' full album right now :)
    I've already given def jux ~€100 anyway... so i'm owed a free album :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭poobags

p.s. Poobags, sorry to break this to you but 90% of signed bands are signed to major labels or labels that are subsidiaries of major lables, there are VERY few indie labels left

Exactly Duztaz. Thats what I'm sayin. Thats why the industry is worried. There 90% is threatened because I'm downloading indie and going out and buying indie. My point is, were not easy to market for any more (altough PoPstars would suggest otherwise)
    and thats why the industry are worried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

"I think youll find that popular music has ruled the music business since the 60's."

That's a stupid statement. Of course it's popular music that is important to the "industry" because the "industry" is about making money and popular music is what makes money. Your just stating the obvious there.

• Advertisement

I think i'd like to create the distinction between popular music and pop music ( if u c what i'm saying).

for exmaple...
    Eminem is popular but he aint pop.
    Britney Spears is popular and pop.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Originally posted by Winters
    Although i did download thw whole Counting Crows Hard Candy album .. but i plan to buy it so no harm done :D

Major harm done...you've downloaded the feckin' Counting Crows. What were you thinking????

I'm not going to comment on the topic of file-sharing, but one thing that is glaringly obvious from this thread is that a lot of people don't seem to know about any other music stores other than HMV and Virgin. What's with paying 25 euro for cds??? I have never paid anything near that for a bog standard cd.

Has no-one ever heard of independant music stores??? Try the Soundcellar for metal/punk/hardcore/rock, you won't pay more than 22 euro. Try Road Records for cds around 21-22 euro. Try Freebird for second-hand cds. Try www.cdwow.ie, where you will find The Coral for 13.95, and Coldplays new album on presale for the same. In short, walk past HMV's door and treat them with the contempt they deserve. Its amazing how much you can save.

Theres 2 different discussions happening on this thread and one is slightly off topic. Ill just say a quick thing on that first.
    Originally posted by fester
    I think i'd like to create the distinction between popular music and pop music ( if u c what i'm saying).

for exmaple...
    Eminem is popular but he aint pop.
    Britney Spears is popular and pop.

Popular music IS pop music. I know what your trying to say, but it runs into trouble when you encounter bands like Linkin Park. Are they Pop? theres lots of opinions on what they are and arent. You cannot arbitrarily say that artist X is or isnt pop. You CAN say whether they are popular.

Kids, this is the way the record industry works. Labels sign bands on different deals. Some will be signed because a clever A&R man sees a lot of potential talent in a band. They will be nurtured in so much as they will be allowed record up to 3 albums for very little relative return (this is getting rarer nowadays). The hope is that eventually this band will metamorphise into world beaters and make everyone involved a lot of money. U2, RHCP, REM are good examples of this type of band.
    Labels will also sign acts like Take That, Boyzone and New Kids on the Block to PAY for the other bands. These acts are fairly much gaurenteed to give you a huge return on very little investment in the short term. They dont have the longevity to make money in the long term but they provide revenue needed to foster more 'adult' acts.

This has been the situation for the last 40 years, but over the last 10 years it has changed slightly. With the advent of acts like The Spice Girls and Britney Spears it appears that these 'pop' acts can make an enourmous amount of money in the short term, and if conditions are right, can go on generating revenue in the long term. As a result more money is spent in grooming and preparing these acts and as a further result less money is spent cultivating the traditional long term moneyspinners.

The more people download and not buy music from those 'indie' or 'rock' or 'real' acts, the more damage is done. If someone downloads an album by one of these bands, thats one less sale of that album and as far as the record company is concerned, why should they spend money on it if it will never give them any return on it. Thats the simple truth.

Originally posted by poobags

Exactly Duztaz. Thats what I'm sayin. Thats why the industry is worried. There 90% is threatened because I'm downloading indie and going out and buying indie. My point is, were not easy to market for any more (altough PoPstars would suggest otherwise)
    and thats why the industry are worried.

Well no, your not buying indie, thats my point. All of the bands you mentioned first time round are on major labels or on labels owned by major labels.
    That's a stupid statement. Of course it's popular music that is important to the "industry" because the "industry" is about making money and popular music is what makes money. Your just stating the obvious there.

I would have thought that was obvious too, but it doesnt seem to be. Popularity is generally measured in record sales and record sales is what arent happening when you download music.

Oh and makavelli, thanks but you can safely ignore BJJ. Hes a member of my fanclub, and when hes not posting 20 times to the same top ten list he can be found suckling at the teat of my opinion:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I used to, and still do d/l song from filesharing sites etc. I haven't bought an album in years coz I haven't needed to. If I find a good new band on these places I look for more of their stuff up there. Can't afford to buy anything much at the mo, but I like to think that when I have the quids I will buy albums again.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Hopefully it'll teach them to charge us 20 squid for an album that cost 2 to make.

The above is a classic example of the ignorance of the general populace.

It didnt cost 2 quid. Read the posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

fisifan01 wrote: »
    is it a good thing? or is it just pure theft?

its loike, totally awsoem!

2002 was a great year for threads :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

I always think of the pet shop boys when people talk about music piracy

This group produced several albums in the 80's but never did any live gigs,they just lived off the fat of the land...The Pet Shop Boys have to go on tour now to make money.

Why are concert ticket prices so high now?

If the big acts want to make money now well then they will just have to go on the road.

Advertisement