Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

(Motor)Boats - advice please!

Options
  • 22-07-2002 8:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

(Afterall, there is a motor in it, so its aint OT ;) )

I am looking to buy a boat for about ~e6,000.

I have absolutely no experience of boats but I know what I want it for....

1) I want a boat which can carry maybe 6 people comfortably for pure recreation, some fishing, cruising, etc. I have no clue of nautical navigation (my g/f would even say in a car!) and so will be sticking to the coast on our travels.

2) I dont mind a small bit of restoration, but am not going fixing something critical to the boat which keeps us upright! ie. hull or ballast...

3) A sail-less boat avec outboard motor is fine right now..

4) I am looking for a solid hull vessel , i.e. not an inflatable and something that isnt going to list too much when the water-racer tries to flip us in his wake...

5) Can you get such boats with prehaps fold-away deck table, etc...

As I say, I really dont know much about boats and any advice is greatly appreciated...

Thanks, J.

P.s. On the sea/inlet..who has right-of-way? Do you stay left or right of oncoming traffic? or does the bigger, less manourverable vessel get their own rights automatically?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Havn't a clue on most of that, but were I you, I'd try a nearby Yacht club. Bound to get advice from them, and possible leads on a boat
    Good luck with it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Are you looking for a boat for the sea or inland waterway ?
    If its the sea you have to take a course in Navigation/Rules of the sea etc.If you buy a cruiser for inland waterways you can get in the boat and start using it the day you bought it.All you have to do is pay €127 per year for the registration of the boat and this includes free mooring anywhere on the Canals.
    We just bought one recently a 20 foot cruiser which sleeps 4 people for €4000.It comes with cooker/table fold away bed-which converts to a sofa and can sit about 6-8 people in it at any time.
    Also because you can moor it any where you are not limited to trying to get back to a dock if you decide to travel a bit on it.Ours is kept in Kildare where there is a marina?? where there are mechanics on duty 6 days a week and also a crane which will lift the boat into the water for you rather than try to get it into the water on a slipway(great fu<king fun that)
    I personally prefer the inland waterways as its safer,less to learn and also a lot of the mooring points along the canals have some great pubs/b&b`s where you can go and get pi$$ed and not have to worry about finding somewhere to sleep etc.
    Now wheres that sun so I can start using the thing:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

Hey Hellrazer,
    Good info..thanks!

I am looking for a boat for sea fairing...albeit very close to the coast !! and so that course is a requirement..!
    I am in Cork, so will probably base the boat in crosshaven, monkstown or somewhere similiar?

Do boats get nicked very often by the way?
    I am thinking a moored boat would be in danger of either being rammed or stolen? ?!?! ??!

Would you happen to have apic of your boat by any chance? you can mail me it if you dont want to share with these loonies ;)shermixo@hotmail.com

thanks..
    J.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Havent got a pic of it yet but Ill post one when I do get around to it.
    As for boats being stolen I havent heard of actual boats being stolen but motors definately do(at €800 or ther abouts) especially outboards.We have ours chained to the boat but its also built in to the back of it so its a bit safer.
    I think you can do that course if you join a Yacht/boating club.Also as far as I know your boat(if being used on the sea) has to be fitted with a radio/tracking device which can bump up your overall costs.
    If you do decide to buy a boat the North is the cheapest by far-Ive already been offered €9000 for ours even though we only paid £2700 sterling(about€4100).I got the boat from an ad in the AUTOTRADER but Buy andsell also has a fair few in it too.

Look for something which is about 20 foot long, has a fibreglass hull(less upkeep).Preferably an out board engine(can be repaired more easily as opposed to diesel engine which are usually buried in to the boat and sometimes require a full rebuild every few years).Another must is a decent sized sleeping area.The front of ours consists of as I said before a sofa in a u-shape which a has wooden pull-out batons to form a fairly decent sized double bed.The other 2 sleeping areas are at the back of the boat and are fairly small.
    Hope this helps.
    Richie

Thats good info John...

Never thought of going to the North for one...

Cheers man!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

P.s. On the sea/inlet..who has right-of-way? Do you stay left or right of oncoming traffic? or does the bigger, less manourverable vessel get their own rights automatically?

You should do a basic navigation and seamanship course before your take to the water in a serious way.
    Take a look at the RNLI website it give excellent advice for people like yourself it also has an interactive training module http://www.rnli.org.uk/training/launch.asp which will teach you the basics of navigation markers and bouyage and the rules of the road. I strongly advise you get some formal training at least a level 2 powerboating cert and a coastal VHF licence.
    I Coxwain an 8 Mtr Rib (Rigid inflatable boat)Recue boat for Dublin Civil Defence and I have seen first hand the sometimes life endangering situations people get themselves and their families into through lack of training and preparation. I hope you find the boat you want but be safe the sea is an unforgiving place to get into trouble.
    If you want further advice just email me info@civildefence-dl.com and I would be happy to help you out.

Regards
    Redshift

Redshift....

What can I say....thats perfect!

Greatly appreciated..thank you,
    J.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,698 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by Ba$tard
    (Afterall, there is a motor in it, so its aint OT ;) )

I am looking to buy a boat for about ~e6,000.

I'll post a link on the angling board to this thread, as some people have talked about boat fishing there

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭BlueDrax

My old man's selling his speed boat:

> 20' Chris Craft Cavalier Cuddy
    > Weekender / Skiboat
    > 2 Berths
    > Mercruiser 130hp Inboard Engine, Outboard Drive
    > Hydraulic Tilt & Trim
    > Excellent Condition Inside & Out

He's looking for €10000 for it - So it might be out of your price range.

Can send you photo's if your interested.

Patrick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Redshift....

What can I say....thats perfect!

Greatly appreciated..thank you,
    J.

Your welcome m8, just be sure your well prepared as you can see from the incident last weekend where 3 generations of 1 family were lost on a fun day out because they were not wearing lifejackets, you cannot become complacent about water safety problems can and do happen. If they had done the obviously safe thing and worn lifejackets its likely they would have all survived.

Regards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,698 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by Redshift

Your welcome m8, just be sure your well prepared as you can see from the incident last weekend where 3 generations of 1 family were lost on a fun day out because they were not wearing lifejackets, you cannot become complacent about water safety problems can and do happen. If they had done the obviously safe thing and worn lifejackets its likely they would have all survived.

Regards
    Thread/poll discussing safety on charters here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59380

Well...

Update....I have changed my mind slightly...i am going to go for a sail boat instead... (OTness Level: 0 - still has an inboard Motor! :) )

Probably looking for something comfortable between 22 - 25ft.
    Seeing as I am buying it as part of a syndicate, our price range has now become circa. 9,000 Euro...

I was considering Northern Eire or Uk if it means big cost savings...have people done this ?

It is certainly a tradegy what happens the 3 men who lost their lives and these serve as serious reminders that safety always comes first.. :(

Cheers,
    J

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

You probably think I'm takin the piss but you should ring up liveline on Radio One. Derek Davis is coverin for the Duffer at the moment and he is a major boatman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

P.s. On the sea/inlet..who has right-of-way? Do you stay left or right of oncoming traffic? or does the bigger, less manourverable vessel get their own rights automatically? [/B]

Basic Rules of the Road apply at sea..

When in a restricted channel always keep to the right...

Boats on a collision course *always* alter course to the right
    (ie. pass each other port side to port side)

Motor (incl. motor sailing) always gives way to sail.. except if the vessel can't manoeuvre easily (a tanker, ferry, the HSS etc..)

If you don't want to take a navigation course just yet the ISA Level 2 Powerboat cert (which you can get over a single weekend) covers basic aspects of safety, rules of the road etc.. you'll also learn basic powerboat operation... Do a course in RiBs 'tis fun..

:D

Hey Duffman,
    Thanks for your comments/help... I am sure it will come in handy at some hairy moment !

Hey Neil...as for the reference to the Duffer...do you refer to Joe Duffy ?

Anyways....moving along...we have come across a yacht which may be of interest...

a Westerly GK24...berths 4 and in good condition at a grand total of 9.9k euro and is lying somewhere in Munster I believe...

Has anyone any opinions on such a vessel? What to look out for (apart from large gaping holes in the hull!) on these models..etc... It comes with GPS & Sonar.

Or...if anyone could recommend a yacht around the 10k euro mark, ideally 24 foot long for added space at the stern for people...

Thanks IA,
    James.

Advertisement