Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening webpages to full screen

Options
  • 22-07-2002 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭

When I click on links within a webpage, the pop-ups that subsequently open up, never occupy full-screen, sometimes I can only see a section of the pop-up.
    Q. Can I make all pop-ups occupy the full-screen automatically?
    A. ?????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

<SCRIPT Language="JavaScript">
    function PopUp(fileName) {
            if (!window.ThePopupWindow){
                    ThePopupWindow = window.open('','myWindow','scrollbars=yes,status=yes,width=620,height=465,resizable=no')
                    ThePopupWindow.location.href = fileName;
            }
            else {
                    if (!ThePopupWindow.closed) {
                            ThePopupWindow.focus();
                    } else {
                            ThePopupWindow =
    window.open('','myWindow','scrollbars=yes,status=no,width=620,height=465,resizable=no')
                    }
            }
    }
    </SCRIPT>

Just change the dimensions in this code (i.e.: the width and height variables), pop it into your html's <head> section and call your popup windows with links like:
    <a href="Javascript:PopUp('pagename.html')">pop up a page</a>

you can provide a link within those popups to close the window like this:
    <a href="javascript:window.close">Close Window</a>

This way you can specify the exact dimensions of the window (as well as whether it has scroll bars, the status bar, etc.) - this is better, as far as I'm concerned, from a usability point of view than making it "full screen" as you're not necessarily annoying the user by obscuring other items. Anyway, to make it full screen I'd imagine you'd have to know the users screen resolution and as far as I recall... that's an awkward one...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Perhaps I should have said that I'm not a Java, HTML or VB guru. My knowledge doesn't really extend beyond the Internet / menu options.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by thegills
    Perhaps I should have said that I'm not a Java, HTML or VB guru. My knowledge doesn't really extend beyond the Internet / menu options.

That's JavaScript above. It bears no relationship or resemblence to Java - it's a totally different animal.

I may have misread the question. I thought at the time that you wanted to WRITE a web page that launched popups that filled the screen.

If you were asking if there's some way that you can make your browser default to making all popup windows maximized and thus override the width and height set by the popup scripts on websites ... then no, I don't think you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Thanks Bard.
    From what you are saying, if I contact the originator of the Popups then perhaps they could do something??
    I can do this as my Company have bought a web-based software PM package from an Irish-based company. They have loads of popups and each time one opens up half of it is off-screen, so I have to firstly drag it so that I can see the top righthand butons to maximise. Its real annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭fuse

You don't necessarily need to click the maximize button. You can just double-click on the title bar which will also maximize, there's a temporary solution that'll save you a bit of hassle.

• Advertisement
Advertisement