Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Counting time to words.

Options
  • 22-07-2002 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

Bit of a werid one, just wondering if something like this already exists.

I was thinking of doing something up which would create an average time per text.

For example.

"Four score and twenty years" - spoken in 4 seconds slow, 2 fast.

Is there a method of creating timing to words? I would guess that the timer would be based on the syllables but I can't think of anyway offhand to do it beyond getting some kind of dictionary?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Interesting idea. Probably requires quite a bit of pre-coding preparation though. You'd have to confirm if the length of time it takes to say a word does actually depend on the number of syllables. Maybe the length of time to say a certain syllable also depends on the no of letters in the syllable.

I'd say get the dictionary out and do an averaging over 2/3 hundred words or so, with different amounts of syllables. No doubt you'd need a mic and some sort of wave analysis software, as you'll be dealing in milliseconds for the syllable length.

Offhand, here's a URL for one of the computers lecturers here in ucd: http://cspeech.ucd.ie/~fred/ <-- he has a PhD in Linguistics and is all into speech analysis software etc..

Anyway IMO, it sounds like a good idea, but with a lot of practical research and not very much coding.

:)

Advertisement