Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Collection Of Events.

• 22-07-2002 12:59pm
    Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Right you tarts - Now that my creative mind has been whirring a lot lately (With the Boards Awards and other such things) I have decided to begin another few festivities - Which will help you battle off the demon known as Boredom.

-= Art Mapping =-

It got me thinking about that picture I saw from some chap who mapped a piece of artwork in WC two years ago, and it has gotten me well into mapping similar things in my spare time.
    The picture I had seen (I think, If I can just clear away the haze of my memory) was a distant picture of an Island surrounded by deep blue water against a night time sky with a lovely palm tree and a light coming from the moon beaming down on it. It was quite a nice piece of .jpeg, and it was hard to believe that it was cerated from WC.

I am hoping to run something similar, right here, right now. If anyone is interested in mapping some artwork, then give me a post. I can say right now that I, being of a moodier and darker mapping nature, will be working on something tomb-like, (Maybe even a church yard) dark and very damn foggy (With rain also) - What would you make!?

If no-one is interested then I will withdraw this idea and keep it to myself. if you ARE Interested then a few rules apply, but I wont post them now - I'll wait and see if there's a turnout.
    The Dublin City Center map from Robb_mm, if nicely lighted, might be capable of giving you a nice picture.

-= Galway LAN - Custom Warfare =-

I've been itching to get my hands on Starcraft / BroodWar off AngelWhore once again so that I could finish that RPG Campaign I was making. If it, indeed, gets finished then I shall be (Hopefully - Not many people play SC anymore) be hosting a 3 Player RPG Campaign for anyone who wants to witness custom maps frm something that is NOT HL, TFC, CS or DOD.

The RPG is called "Acid-Reign" and you get to choose which character you want - Which is nice for a start, and you have to traverse through a massive desert setting, completeing various tasks, earning money and experience, hiring mercs etc etc.
    Also, I have an SC RPG called "DragonSpell" that I got from my online days of SC'ing, and by holy god, it was AMAZING!
    It simply MUST be played.

Same applies to those of you who map for "Other" things and want to pimp them off... We should get a list of these things, and bring it to the next Galway Lan so that everyone can get their current projects playtested etc

-= General Mapping Competition=-

For the THIRD time I'm going to suggest this.
    Seeing as it never picked up off the ground at the previous LANS (Due to immense CS'age, Quake'age etc) I am going to be hosting one directly after the Boards.ie Awards. It'll start at a selected date, and end one whole month after that selected date.
    IN that month you'll be given the time to create, not an object, not artwork, but an entire map. To make sure that no one simply nabs someones Idea, or gets a half finished .rmf and completes it themselves I will be requesting at least three pics at the end of each week within that month of everything. Once the month is over, you bastards trot along and compile your maps with which we can playtest and review / judge ourselves. The maps will then be put up for vote, and a winner selected.

And thats it for now,
    So until I get some more ideas going, expect the above to happen rather soon. It'll be good for you in the long run.
    If you want to participate in any of the above (Or indeed an event that YOU think we should have) then I'd appreciate a response.

Good Day.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

They all sound excellent except the StarCarft one (imo)
    I would like to compete in either of the two competitons (artwork and map)

Good thinking Rope, gg shot pld etc :D

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

I posted the StarCraft one simply because AngelWhore mentioned he wanted to have a mass rapage on it at the next LAN and people seemed to want to play it also, and because I have a rake of SC RPG's (Along with one of my own - And tonnes of my own custom maps) I thought I'd get some playtested...

Obviously non SC Fans wont like this idea, but I can tell you right now that GL4 will not go by without games of SC, and I intend to make them custom games as opposed to crap melée against zerg turds and protoss ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

I'll give the art mapping a go. Sounds fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

hhummmmmm.....

might have a go at the mapping one.

post more details wen u get them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

prolly a stupid Q.
    Does Mohaa get played at Lans????

reason i ask is i want a outside Beta test of my map,outside meaning im not there in anyway.

I know CS rules the world but maybe some Lans its get a bit of play???

Never been to Lan btw.

Kdja

• Advertisement

MOHHA doesn't get played outside of EA :)

I hate it. I hate it with a passion.

That is all. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

why??
    Cracking game shame about the lack of a proper SDK but means we have to go back to basics to create decent levels.

I think its a great game ,online is very good.

And i can do things with that in terms of creation that arent possible with other games ,mainly the scritping code 2015 used its exceptional.

Kdja

I also hate MOHAA because to be blunt, its Sh1te. Oh yes it is horrible.

Lads, no more off topic, even if i did start it (kinda) :shock:

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Rules - Artwork Comp:

Basically, you map whatever you want, wether it's a plush field with plantlife and colourful rocks or whatever, compile it and get a nice screeny of it (Preferably in Spectator mode so that there are no fleshy arms of HE's in the way) and upload it.

You can ONLY use your mapping program (Hopefully WC) and the use of Photoshop or any pic editing proggies is dissalowed.
    If there is the slightest hint of editing, I will demand to check the .bsp, so please keep them.

No real prize other than being hailed a 'Great Mapper' and having the pic posted everywhere and stuff.

Rules - Mapping Competition:

When I get the time, I will set a date (And possibly a theme - just to ensure that you have to start from scratch rather than know what I want mapped and have it nearly finished before I say "GO") and then once that date comes and I shoot my little pistol, you little buggers run along and map until the cows come home, or in this case, I say "STOP" - Then you compile, upload, and have them tested by pretty much everyone.

I trust that you will all do just that, and start from scratch, otherwise (If you win) you'll all be kidding yourself by making us think you are great and l33t and amazing etc etc and have the misfortune of everyone expecting everything you make from then on to be absolutely breathtaking.

Rules - LAN Stuff:

Doesn't look like anyone cares about SC RPG'ing at the LAN, Map testing etc etc so sod off.
    Im sure you'll all make it up along the way on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

hmmm count me in for the mapping compo. post more details soon

POINT 2: (LAN STUFF)
    SC / OTHER TESTING: POSSIBLE COMP!?
    Seeing as no-one seems to care about StarCraft, I've taken the time to create a StarCraft Map along the lines of Metal Gear Solid, (In this case it's called 'Metal Gear Squidgy').

The only similarity really is the whole 'Enemy See's You', 'Enemy Gets Suspicious', 'If They See You Properly, They Kill / Capture You' etc etc.

I've half made a massive map already and for the life of me, despite me knowing where everything is, It's hard, even for me, to complete the little portion that I've made without slipping up and getting crucified. Also, I could really really really improve it once I get BroodWar installed seeing as a lot of new triggers were supplied on a patch that came with it, that unfortunately don't come with the original SC. The only reason I'm continuously bringing up old games such as StarCraft if because no-one seems to realise the amazing potential it has when it comes to mapping for it. There ae a vast variation of games / game styles you can create with it...

I have tried my hand at a few, and these include:
    Metal Gear Solid Style Maps,
    RPG's,
    Hero Quests,
    WarHammer Type Maps (Which you cannot create without BroodWar, and it's triggers),
    Your Own Custom Campaigns (That do NOT have to run the same as the Official StarCraft ones - You can have your own portraits / character voices and everything, even alter the weapons and abilities that the units fire - eg. Have a Hydralisk firing a ****ing rocket laucher instead of that green spit ****e)
    And so many more, yet I haven't bothered fully experimenting yet.
    Guys, Im being deadly serious when I say that SC isn't dead yet (Not even with the arrival of Warhammer 2 [Or is it WH3?] which is actually quite cool) and the ammount of maps I've downloaded from battle.net is unreal.

Also, that point I made above was NOT strictly for StarCraft. Apparantly the new WarCraft allows you to make your own levels. You've seen me play Warhammer at the LANS before, yet you didn't see me playing my Custom Warhammer, where I altered the units or made Undead / Elven / Dwarf / Necromancer campaigns and / or rearranged the entire armies. Im talking anything and everything that can be customised that isn't CS / HL / TFC / DOD... Im talking... STUFF!
    One thing that jerks into most peoples mind when there is mention of the Game Editing Board is "Well, they only really map for CS / HL / TFC / DOD" etc, and you have to respect the fact that I have been trying ever since I became mod here to change that little detail, and assure people that this isn't a ****ing CS / HL / TFC / DOD mapping board Only... It's a bloody Game Editing Board.
    So NeEeEeEr!

So I will ask again, and for the last bloody time. If you are going to participate in the next Galway Lan, will you spend at least 10mins out of that Lan WEEK and test out a few of my, and other peoples, stuff?
    Do you not like RPG's / MGS / WH style games!?

Also, in regards to "MORE DETAILS" - What type of details are you looking for? Both competitions are extremely obvious and basic. If you have any Q's post them here and I'll explain further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

hmm bugger that, i was hoping you'd come up with a theme that i already had half a map built for for. oh well.:o

I've lost you.
    What?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

i think every1 agrees wit me wen i say tat robbb_mm isnt allowed make any more maps until he finishes o conell st.
    for feck sake:mad: ]
    [:) ]

Right people, the drinks is tommorow.
    Im not sure how long after the drinks I should wait before these events commence, and it's more than likely I can't participate - What with having no PC anymore...

Sooooooooooooooooo.
    I suggest you all have a good night tommorow, and if you see me give me your suggestion, but dont talk to me for too long about it - Im not going up to talk about mapping or CS or whatever - Im going up to get absolutely locked.

Good day!

I think people are forgetting about this.
    Lads, when is the next school holiday (Looks like I'll have to go by that, because you're all a pack of creché type people) and are you still up for the above events?

BUMP

If no one answers, I'll scrap the entire idea and spend my spare time in a more constructive manner rather than attempt to give you lot something to think about...

End of October is the next school holidays. I'd still like to do the art mapping thing.

Advertisement