Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being Videoed without your permission at work.

• 22-07-2002 1:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭

Lo laeds! :O)
    The Boss has been calling a number of meetings and been videoing employees during these meetings. He has not gotten any permission from the employees to film them talking about their jobs / departments and when asked about the video he has refused to comment. Is this legal? If we decline to appear on video and he gets píssed can he slap us around or give us the boot?

Itd be nice to know.. because it seems really big brotherish etc.

Thanks in advance for any help you have to offer folks :O)

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

If you are being videoed for security reasons ie handling cash etc. then its ok by the law.
    But for any other reason your boss needs your permission in writing.
    Why does he want these tapes of employees discussing their work?
    Seems a bit strange, unless he`s trying to hang someone to someone else in these interviews.If he did sack you because you refused to be filmed you would have them for unfair dismissal along with a few other breach of privacy issues.If you were to take a case I would imagine that you would win outright.
    Richie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Data Protection Act

As far as I know CCTV and videos are covered under the act and you can ask for a copy of the video or not allow him to video you. If he video'd you with telling you or asking your permission he could be in a bit of trouble.

The above is not rock solid I dont know enough about it for it to be so ask someone who knows about that act maybe some legal head.

kayos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

hell is correct
    security videos are legal if the employee knows about them .
    kinda like a disclaimer in your contract or on the entrance to the workplace.
    but if videoing you about your job either 2 things.
    he doing it for educatonial puposes
    or he wants to fire someone.

he being a boss should know he cant fire someone without them consenting to the video(if he usesu it a s a reaosn to fire)
    and if its educational he knows he cant use it without there consenting.

kdja

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

last i heard it is illegal to video someone without their knowlegde, unless specifically suggested in your contract.
    you certainly cant video peoples workplaces, with the exception of security video. and even then the camera is only suppose to be focused on exits, aisles etc, not peoples desks or anything.

also, if an employer uses security video as evidence in a sacking case, its against the law to do so, as security cameras are for security, not for personal use, including personal use of comapanies.

so you are entitled to see the video, if the boss wont let you see it youa re entitled to take them to court, as you have not given express consent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Chief

Thanks for all the help lads... I hope the crossposting between here and Business / Economy isnt a pain in the ass... do ya's wanna merge them together or anything? :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=58442

is the thread on business and economy to.. again thanks for all the help laeds! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

I am a CCTV/Security installer and I have installed both covert and overt cameras in workplaces. The whole area of videoing people is a bit grey but generally once someone knows their on camera or are possibly on camera then it's legal to video the working area of employees. It is not legal to video employee rest and changing areas unless it is a high security facility like a mint or something. It is legal to temporarily video these areas where the employer can show just cause like ongoing theft ect but the camera would generaly be removed when the problem is resolved also afaik this would not be submissible as evidence and can only be used to identify the guilty party.
    when you enter a shop that has CCTV you can normaly see a big signsaying CCTV in operation or something to that effect or you will be able to see live pictures from the cameras on one or more monitors as well as acting as a deterant this informs you that your on video enabling the owner to use CCTV tapes as evidence.

Regards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by Redshift
    The whole area of videoing people is a bit grey but generally once someone knows their on camera or are possibly on camera then it's legal to video the working area of employees.

only as a security issue, as long as workers know they are being videod, and only for a short period of time....

Advertisement