Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relatives to bombers? no longer arrested?

Options
  • 22-07-2002 2:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

Israeli officials, faced with an international outcry and a ruling by the attorney general, acknowledged Sunday they couldn't legally deport distant relatives of suicide bombers unless they were directly linked to attacks.

On Friday, Israeli officials had said they were considering deportation to the Gaza Strip for 21 people arrested near the West Bank city of Nablus on Friday.

Israeli officials backed down after receiving criticism from Canada, France, Mexico, Germany, New Zealand and other nations around the world.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭BJJ

The lastest form of Racism!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭JarJar blinks

F*cked up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭TetsuoHashimoto

Did Bush object to this inhumane act?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I don't think Bush commented - actually I think a US envoy directly refused comment. I sure as hell didn't hear a condemnation.

The UK kept its mouth shut too.

After all, is group-punishment really that far away from internment without charge? The UK and the US know they're on shaky ground when it comes to condemning anyone elses treatment of human beings' basic rights these days...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Hmmm I heard the UK and the US both expressed their disapproval of it. Now I could be wrong, maybe I was half asleep listening to the news that day. Either way they're not going to do anything about it, Bush also expressed his disapproval of the raids on Jenin and warned Sharon to pull back, then a week later it was all forgotten about, I wonder why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

It's such a completely absurd process. I can only imagine how counter-productive it could be too. I mean, I'm not close to my sister, and no-one in my family is political really. Imagine a similar family in the West Bank. There's a man who holds fairly forceful political views, carries out an attack, and all of a sudden his parents and siblings are expelled from their homes. Just another instance of how not to respond to terrorism I suppose...

Advertisement