Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Email addresses

Options
  • 22-07-2002 3:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

If i register a web site... say www.joebloggs.com and I want email addresses joe@joebloggs.com, am i right in saying that with most standard hosting packages, you will get a few xxxx@joebloggs.com email addresses ????

If so will the hosting company set them up for you? Or do you have to submit them your self ???/

any and all help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yep, that's about right. I'm sure most hosting companies will set up any emails addresses you want if you ask them nicely. I've never registered any domains, but I'm sure a few hosting co's offer scripts that'll set up the email account for you. It's a simple procedure anyway if not. They'll usually give you 10/20 email accounts with even the smallest package, but you don't have to use them all right away.

Do a quick search for some small tutorials/primers on SMTP and POP3 - that'll give you some insight into how email works, etc etc

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

If the email address is all you're interested in, then there's no real need for hosting. Most registrars give you the option for email redirects (i.e. xxxx@joebloggs.com will get sent to another, free, email account of your choosing). As such redirect your mail to, say an eircom.net account, and in your mail client set the address of that account to xxxx@joebloggs.com).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭JJSolutions

webwannabe check you PM

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Depending on the hosting platform you can be given almost full control of your email addresses and aliases.
    In many cases you will not need more than one or two email addresses and can use aliases to point to actual mailboxes.

Email forwarding is an option, but if you are using your domain for business it might not look very professional, as many of them will not give you the chance to use your domain in the return address.
    (Of course this depends on the registrar)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by blacknight
    as many of them will not give you the chance to use your domain in the return address.

what exactly do you mean by this?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by jd

what exactly do you mean by this?
    Just that they forward the mail to you, so it arrives in your eircon account. When you reply the return address etc., is the eircon account not your domain.

This might have changed, but it was like that in the past :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

misread what you are saying..

you can set the reply to address on the client though, its not a perfect solution

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by jd
    you can set the reply to address on the client though, its not a perfect solution
    No, but it's close enough to one. You send an email that displays to have come from xxxx@joebloggs.com and whenever anyone replies to that address, it arrives and is forwarded to your real POP3 account.

The only way anyone's the wiser, is if they examine your email headers.
    Email forwarding is an option, but if you are using your domain for business it might not look very professional, as many of them will not give you the chance to use your domain in the return address.
    (Of course this depends on the registrar)
    True, but rapidly becoming the exception rather than the rule.

The easiest solution is to get a small hosting package or an email only package and be done with it.

Advertisement