Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

internal E-mail setup help

• 22-07-2002 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hello there,
    Anyone out there able to help me.
    I have a few machines connected to a server running Nt4,
    I like to be able to have internal e-mail using outlook express. Is it much of a job ? or where do I start?

Thanks

Tom

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Afaik, there's MS Exchange or sumthink that comes with NT. I dunno how it works, or how to use it, but it might do what you want :)

What I'd do is just download freeware SMTP and POP3 servers and run them on the NT4 box. That way, Outlook can log into the box and get the email, as you would do for other accounts. If the hostname of the server is, say, SERVER_IE, then you can just email your colleagues by sending it to johndoe@server_ie, but this could vary depending on what type of server you put in. NO doubt someone is now going to come along and completely rubbiish everything I've said :)

(Remember to google for 'Mail Server', not 'Mail Client', Big difference! If this is all way over your head, and you're in Dublin, I'll happily do it for you, for a cup of tea and the experience :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Not exchange. You have to buy that AFAIK. W2K server comes with an SMTP/POP3 server built into it's IIS. Just remember to install all the patches (unless you like viruses).

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭tmcd

Well done lads, Thanks, Got it all sorted very easy from the replies, And thanks for the offer seamus.
    I ended up downloading ArGoSoft Mail Server, took me all of 2 minutes to work out how it worked, and have to say it works like a charm

Thanks again

Tom

Advertisement