Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you stay awake?

• 06-04-2001 2:58pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It's one of those days - you've had a hectic week - you're destroyed tired. All you can do is look at web sites - and even that's a toughie!!!

How do you keep yourselves awake (cause I need help)?!?!?!?!???

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Prepare yourself - The Beefy King stirs from his slumber...</font>

[honey i] violated [the kids]

[This message has been edited by Kharn (edited 06-04-2001).]

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Start mumbling under your breath during your manager's Friday team meeting, and get caught.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Large and sudden doses of caffeine...

"Inocculatté": To take coffee intravenously when you are running late.

Bard
    "Ooh! You're so clever today you'd better be careful your foot doesn't fall off." -Nursie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kharn:
    It's one of those days - you've had a hectic week - you're destroyed tired. All you can do is look at web sites - and even that's a toughie!!!
    </font>

amen to that brother.
    last week, BT decided to drop the local optical fibre line, so we had to run off our backup 128k isdn line. took about 6 hours for our boys in dublin to get it running. 128k between 80 users is not an awful lot. anyone here use citrix youll understand...
    oh, forgot to mention that president of world sales is in the office and wants me to fix his laptop, cannot log into american domain...no stress baby!
    monday, dhcp server starts acting up. no-one in london can log in. lease not being renewed. spend all day with networks on the phone trying to solve... figure out wht problem is on tuesday, spend half the day with networks as THEY try to figure out how to solve problem. tuesday evening create local dhcp server in london
    wednesday, everything fine until 9:10 in the morning. vice president of sales emea cannot log in. from madrid. calls me. like hello, whats wrong withthe entire IT department in dublin? canhe not phone them? find out hes trying to use dhcp on a static ip network. tell him to dial in. he goes to paris instead and insists that he must have a static ip address for each country he visits. i tell him its ok, coz paris is dhcp. finally gets on.
    rest of office however is not happy as 'net work is running slowly' yes the network always runs slowely compared to your system at home because your system at home DOES NOT RELY ON 10mg NETWORK BECAUSE ALL INFORMATION IT IS ALL ON THE LOCAL MACHINE. so i get all the blame and frustration. my inly comeback? if i was a network engineer, do you think id be hear with this crap pay listening to you whine.....
    so friday comes around, and im doing no work, and only the thought of flying home and opening a bottle of wine and having an indian is keeping me awake.

was that laright, or was i just talking a load of load tosh....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WhiteWashMan:

only the thought of flying home and opening a bottle of wine and having an indian is keeping me awake.
    </font>

And what are you and this Indian going to get up to, eh?

Ah... sorry... my brain is frazzled to...

will be on the sauce tonight, though!

Bard
    "Ooh! You're so clever today you'd better be careful your foot doesn't fall off." -Nursie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Hope you're not coming back on Aer Lingus Eamo as all those gits are out on strike today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

no british midland.
    yummy mini areo and a creamcheese roll...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bard:
    Ah... sorry... my brain is frazzled to... </font>

Shouldn't that be zooped Niall??? smile.gif

I'm going to Dublinia this evening for an ex-ebeon pi$$up!!! They've gotta spend the last of the sports and social club's money or else the liquidator'll have it! Bastid!

Anyway - I'm on my second can of Red Bull and I'm managing it - one hour to go and I'm away!

I just spent the last hour flucking around on an iMac testing my site on it's Exploder and Nutscrape!

Anyway - Eamo - that's a toughie mate - enjoy a glass or 6 and mind them Injuns! tongue.gif

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Prepare yourself - The Beefy King stirs from his slumber...</font>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

cheer up
    i've got over 3 more hours to go frown.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Caffeine.

I drink so much the company had a bag of samples left in for me to try. Love those kinda perks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Caffeine, mostly. It is by Spiked Silver alone that I set my mind in motion. When that starts to fail on me, I find someone interesting to ring about a story, because talking to folk keeps you far more alert than messing about on a PC screen does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Kharn lad Talk to Monty r Sico they will give u a few pointers r even shadow u no there after hour activities wink.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

About 2/3 litres of Pepsi Max a day, 20/30 cigarettes and adrenalin.

Mind you I'm off for the next 2 weeks so I'm going to sleep for most of it.

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!
    art is everything and of course nothing and possibly also a sausage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kharn:

How do you keep yourselves awake (cause I need help)?!?!?!?!???

</font>

You don't have a Thursday night like that! smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Hmmm...

Cooookiiieeee! smile.gif

Al.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

I had had no sleep before an 8-5 day of work one day, I literally couldn't keep my eyelids open and was *trying* to catalogue things on a spreadsheet.
    Only drink in site was warm water and no fresh air.

Solution = say you're going out to lunch and then don't come back smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Slosh

Go to the bog and have a quick sleep.. Works great on hungover Friday mornings smile.gif

Ah jesus - it's only Tuesday and I'm exhausted already - these late nights will have to stop! It wasn't my falt this time - I was totally absorbed in watching Kealan bate the living bejesus outta his Cow in Black and White.

It's gonna be a long day... *yawns* redface.gif

Nearly time for a scone though, so that should help with the stay awake campaign!

I just typed most of this with my eyes closed and lost the match that was keeping my right eyelid open. Bugger.

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Yeah Slosh I do the toilet trick.. **** off out for a kip.. it's the only thing keeps me awake afterwards.. also toilets are quite cool and refreshing.. I hang out in them alot..

I've said too much.

.logic.

Logic - big George Michael fan, eh?

The Toilet thing's a good idea, but in a really small shop like this (with only one male and one female bog), it's just not practical. I had a can of Red Bull just after my scone, and that's seems to have temporarily done the trick - lets see if this soup helps...

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Just go to the medical room (located on grnd floor behind reception). Climb on bed, close eyes, sleep for an hour, wake up refreshed.
    Sweeeet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Nero

For Don heads;

Head for the nest in BFTS ... if it's still there .... if you can find it .... oh there is isss sss zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Don? BFTS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Just dont sleep smile.gif

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭[fist]de_psIRE

Hrm, Avoiding Sleep Eh? Tis Simple. Ive been sleepin on average about 30 hrs a week for over a year and a half now with less then a handfull of weeks with over 40 as far back as I can remember. Heres my secrets:

1) If u want to, and your not busy: Sleep. This is my number 1 rule, it doesnt matter where u r, who yr with r what yr doin, fall asleep if u can get away with it.

2) When you would normally be going to sleep do something which is both mentally and physically stimulating. I find this kinda resets yr clock so yr body thinks u've had a sleep. Perfect examples is Playing Pool/Snooker.

3) If yr staring at a screen (as i do) always get away from it every hour for a few mins (even if u dont feel like it). Perfect 4 this is a cigarette break.

4) Any kind of drug is a bad idea. Pep Pills, Caffeine, Speed, and especially alcahol r terrible 4 the non sleeper. If u believe any of these do help u yr wrong, no-one can maintain the levels these drugs promote, so, added to the fact yr already tired, yr gonna be due an awfull comedown.

5) If u wear glasses, get contact lenses, Mine get irritable when i close my eyes, so it is physically impossible for me to fall asleep without consciously taking my lenses out.

6) Try not to do it on yr own, Everyone has peaks and troughs so its great if someone can be ther to nudge u if u seem to be fallin asleep.

7) By the time hours have kicked into days, u'll be finding it difficult to concentrate on any 1 task 4 long. So multitask, I find doin 100 things at once is far more productive when u can only concentrate for 3 mins at a time.

8) Always know the times of everything. What time the buses are, when the cinema shows r, where can u get breakfast at 7am in town on a sunday etc etc. Coz u wont be thinkin straight by the time u need to know it.

9) If all fails and u do need a kip, just go to the cinema, U get 2 hrs of sleep in the dark (great durin the day) in the warmth and comfort for a fiver. Best part is if the staff wake u from yr slumber u can usually persuade them to give u a refund. No this is not a joke, people who dont sleep arent funny.

10)Always bring a spare pair o clothes to work, with a can of deoderant, and know when yr m8s who live near work are at work themselves, people really arent offended if u ask to use ther shower, and its a great pick me up, despite the fact its brutally necessary sometimes.

Ther ya go, wonder if ne1 will ever read all that???

BTW current Uptime is 94 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭androphobic

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by [fist]de_psIRE:

Ther ya go, wonder if ne1 will ever read all that???
    </font>

heheheh very good smile.gif

alternatively develop insomnia.. smile.gif

heh - I WISH I had imsomnia!!!

I go home (to Mayo) at the weekends and all I do is veg infront of the telly and sleep and yet, I'm still tired (nothing to do with the fact that I was out last night).

Thanks for the tips there psIRE biggrin.gif

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Off the topic dude, what the hell happened to you Sunday ? You could have kept me awake, or at least vaguely interested in the TF, but you didnt show, ya bastid. Poor old Long Haired Crok Freak was looking forward to seeing you again, to talk and stick his throbbing...mabye not....

Damn it Jim, im a doctor, not a Beefy King !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

Just take your rest. Going to bed early is the best idea if you can get your body used to it. Staying up late on a weekday is just meaningless; just goto bed and make tomorrow easier.

Don't sleep more than 9 hours at most. You just stick your body into hibernation mode. 7 hours is best supposedly for keeping you all lively. Any sleep before 12 is supposed to be far better than sleep after 12.

Finding staying awake 14 hours is difficult, then you're still in student mode smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭regi

hehe
    In my last job I used to get so tired, I'd sleep all the time - in work, when I got home from work and then all night.

Now... I have insomnia, which I reckon sucks even more smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

My sleep pattern consists of staying awake for 30-40 hours, then sleeping for 16-20.

• Advertisement
Advertisement