Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Believe Nothing

• 22-07-2002 4:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone been watching this, caught the first two episodes and enjoyed them alot. Anyone who enjoyed the New Statesman will I think like this show, with Rik Mayall in the lead role.

Adonis Cnut is an Oxbridge don and brilliant in every field. Suddenly he is thrown into the seedy, shadowy world of big business as he is asked to join an organisation purporting to run the world. Satire on globalisation, big business and the Blair Government, very much in the mould of New Statesmen but in a different context

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭regi

what channel/time/day? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Is on ITV about tennish on Sundays.

This is on tonight, not to be missed. 10 o clock, ITV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I saw it a week or so ago and id was good. I hadent seen Rick Mail (Sp?) for a while and he is still as funny as he ever was....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

I saw it last week on the back of the positive comments in this thread and I have to say I thought it was terrible. There was no 'situation' to this sit-com and it was just an endless stream of 'witty' barbs at easy targets in the political world. The premise of the show seems to be that Cnut is the real power behind the politicians and that he is playing them off against each other but this doesn't really work because I never believed for a second that he wasn't going to come out on top by the end of the episode.

I think sit-com works best when you can actually believe that somehow, somewhere in the world a situation like this could just happen but the idea of a jet setting professor who meets Bush for breakfast, Blair for lunch, Castro for brunch and plays them all off each other is just too much of a stretch for the imagination. At least with New Statesman you could get involved that B'stard because he was a backstabbing politican in it for his own gain and nothing more. Also to draw another parallel with New Statesman the pathetic Pierce from New Statesman was an excellent foil where as the butler character in Believe Nothing is so unlikeable that you don't really care when Cnut mistreats him. If you don't care then no laughs.

It might have been taboo 20 years ago to aim sarcastic comments guys like Tony Blair and GW Bush Jr but in an era when George Michael is doing it you know it's time to move on!

Gotta admit last weeks episode was very diasppointing, but have faith, the previous couple of episodes were crackers.

Advertisement