Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recruitment *gasp* agencies (there, I said it...)

• 26-04-2001 12:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭

Well, what's the word on the street? Are you pro or con? Applying directly seems to be a lot of effort.

Who's been good to you, etc?

Answers on a postcard to the usual address...

Al.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I'm pro agencies.
    I changed jobs about 6 weeks ago and went through an agency (TMP worldwide).
    I was delighted with the service, got just the job I wanted with very little hassle.
    They even did a little salary negotiation for me, resulting in me getting a lot more than I expected to.
    which was nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

aspect (dont know what he addy is) are very small, almost non-professional, but have come through for me from time to time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I found my last 2 jobs through CPL. (Originally recommended by DeVore I think). Both good jobs ~ however, and I'm sure this is true of all agencies. You have to be firm and stick to your guns to get a job you really want, as they'll be more interested in their commission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Loomer

Hays IT were good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

yes, cpl got me a job as well.
    although with agencies the best thing is to spam and then the first 3 or 4 that respond just go and harrass them until they get you a job. once thy have your cv theyre happy to send it out. they get paid for every cv they send a company, so the longer you arent employed, or you are looking, the more times they get to throw your cv out. so you really have to push them and hassle them
    marlborogh were the worst shower of w@nkers i ever went with. i will never give them any business again.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭bats

any recommendations for recruitment agencies in new york though? I have a stack of them in front of me but has anyone experience of good/bad/god-awful ones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

I'm anti-agencies, a friend of mine was looking for a job and used an agency. They forwarded her c.v. to a company she was very interested in - but the agency refused the positively returned offer (without telling her) because it didn't give them enough money. Perhaps illegally or whatever I don't know, they contacted her directly - because they'd seen agencies doing this before, just incase she'd be interested. They cut out the agency - she got paid more and they paid less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Didn't know they got anything from just submitting CVs...

The one I talked to had a rate of 15% up to £29,999, 18% thereafter, so that'd be £3750 for getting someone a £25k job.

Al.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Most of the companies I've worked for have been through agencies.

I can't be arséd going to companies directly so I just send off my CV to every IT related agency I can find and pick the most interesting vacancies.

Try and avoid agencies that sub-contract you out. They suck.

Lunacy Abounds! GLminesweeper RO><ORS!
    art is everything and of course nothing and possibly also a sausage

Advertisement