Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD RW Drive on Komplett this week

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Its Pioneer its decent.

The memorex ones are twice the price.

It also says bulk order. Does that mean you bulk order or they did e.g no manuals and drivers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

It just means that there are no cables or drivers. You only need to buy one. They do look tasty!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

The media is still too expensive:(
    10-20Euros for a DVD-R.
    It seems to me that the drives are at the right price.
    But the media doesn't seem to have hit the big time yet:(
    Also I might wait till the 9 gig ones come out.
    And there only 2x at the moment.
    Does that mean 35mins for a full 4.3gig?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 paws

you can get 5-packs of Apple DVD-Rs for 35 euro.

paw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 General_Lee_Erudite

Originally posted by bricks
    Also I might wait till the 9 gig ones come out.
    And there only 2x at the moment.
    Does that mean 35mins for a full 4.3gig?

I have spent month saving to buy a cool new DVD-RW and found some good ones in Peats (http://www.peats.com/) but I wanted to know if bricks could explain the "9 gig ones" and the other lines quoted that he was talking about.

Are they 9 gig discs or what?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

the drives are behind the disc in terms of technology.
    there are some DVDs that can hold 18gb but the burners cant burn 4 layers yet.
    So as the media improves the burners are catching up so im waiting till the burners are capable of 9/18gb discs.

Kinda explains it :)
    Kdja

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭lynchie

Im holding out for the new dvd+rw drives to come down in price. They are much better than the dvd-rw. dvd+rw can be read in most dvdroms/dvd players.

Bricks, The dvd+rw drives write at 2.4x which is roughly 30 mins for 4.7gb

There are no 9gb drives as such. Im sure there will be double sided media soon which would allow you to write 4.7gb on each side which would equate to having over 9gb on a single dvd.

More info on dvd+rw here and here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Thanks guys, I think I'll buy it and I just so happened to get a shiny new credit card in the post today. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Can most stand alone dvd players read the dvd-r/dvd-rw disks? If not can the DVD+r/+RW disks??

thanks
    ambrose

Advertisement