Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modem Help

• 22-07-2002 9:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭

My friend has a really old pc. Some sort of pentium. Anyway he bought himself a new modem but we couldn't get it to work in his pc. So we swapped modems. His new one works perfect in mine. No Problems.

My old modem appears to work in his. In the device manage it comes up ok and in phone dialer it will dial out to outer numbers. The problem occurs when he tries to connect to the internet. It gets to the verifying user name passwaord stage and then just says number busy????? I can't think why it would do that. Has anyone any suggestions? I installed the east cd so it configured all its settings.

Also before some says that the line might aactually be engaged its not. We tried dialling ourselves with the phone and it was fine.

If anyone could give me some advice I would really appreciate it. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Try a different ISP.

Kdja

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

We tried connecting to unison aswell with no joy. I'm baffled. What else could it be? I've never had that type of problem with my modem before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭Stinkah

Dude, another ISP is not the problem.

The bottom line is this...

If you have a number configured in dial up networking to be dialed via your specified modem and you dial that same number on a handset plugged into the same phone line being used by the modem and it works then...

You will either need to reinstall

A: the modem drivers
    B: dial up networking
    C: TCP/IP

To be honest if your connection is getting as far as verification then your modem has done it's job - Namely dialed said number, handshake and complete connection. It is then down to your mates OS communication software to complete the connection to whatever ISP at a software level.

This said, 70% of dialup issues are resolved by reinstalling TCP/IP ( windoze communication protocol for networking and internet communication )

However, in limited cases, you may be told that you are verifying username and password before you have even heard the modem dialing. This may well be that DUN ( Dial up networking ) is shagged and needs reinstalling.

To finish up this rant I would strongly recommend a reinstallation of TCP/IP and if that doesn't work, post the Error number you get and ppl may be able to give you more specific answers. This said, there is NO specific answers when you are using windoze and an analogue modem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭ando

try making a dial up account:

1891 121121

Put in any username and password... see if it dials up, connects and gives you an 'Invalid username and password'.

try that. If its saying line busy again, tell us :) Try dialling early in the morning or around 5pm

Thanks Stinkah for all the help. Unfortunately its not that.

I got fed up playing with the tcp/ip settings and just formatted the harddisk and started over. Reinstalled everything and still no luck! Same problem. Maybe if I try different OS? He has win 98. WOuld installing win95 help? He's only running on a pentium so win2k is out of the question and he'd just be lost using linux.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

You downloaded the most recent drivers for it?
    They're probably V.92, which most ISPs won't let you conenct with, even though it's supposedly abckwards compatible.

have you got "Log onto Network" turned on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

I fixed a problem like this for a guy in Spain once (believe it or not). Its two years ago so I cannot remember exactly what was wrong.

From what I do remember it was extremely hard to track down the cause of the problem but the solution involved getting my hands on the AT commands supported by the modem and setting it to ignore busy signals.

What make is the modem?

If you want I'll try to find the AT commands on the web.

Bottom of this page http://www.modem.com/glossary/extend2g.html

under heading X2.

Originally posted by SyxPak
    You downloaded the most recent drivers for it?
    They're probably V.92, which most ISPs won't let you conenct with, even though it's supposedly abckwards compatible.

have you got "Log onto Network" turned on?

Thats not the problem ( thanks for the help though) Its an old 33.6 modem. It was made by CPI ( whoever they are?) and came with my gateway computer years ago.

Also I've tried to connect logging on to the network and also without logging on.

Paid the AT commands look promising. I don't know if i'll have access to my friends pc this weekend because hes going away but i'll post up the results. I have a feeling this is going to work though.

I don't have Win98 anymore I have Windows 2000 so I assume it'll be slightly different.

Go to the Control Panel and click Phone and Modem options.
    Click modems, then selct you modem from the list and click properties.

There may be a place to add extra initialisation commands somewhere there.

Try entering X2 and ok or AT&X2

More help here - http://www.modemhelp.org/initwhere.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭Stinkah

God the memories..

Init bloody strings.

You shouldn't really need them nowadays to be honest. Should be just a matter of getting the most up to date drivers for your particular modem of their website.

This is a concept I have to admit that I find highly amusing.

The interweb has evolved so much so that you have to go onto it to check for drivers for a device which gets you on the interweb in the first place :rolleyes:

Advertisement