Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet Errors

Options
  • 22-07-2002 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭

A while ago i turned off my internet compresion to see if i would get a better ping in games. I can't remember if it was better or not but when i connected again it was very laggy browsing the net and downloading. So i turned on the compresion again but it didn't do much. I got a load of errors at least 200 every time i connected. It made the internet unusable. I reinstalled win2k and it was fine again for a while but its happening again. I didn't change any of the settings either. Then i realised that windows media player was making the errors. Whenever i played music from a cd it start the count of errors and when i closed the program it stopped. So that was fine but i still get some errors now and then and it lagges the hell out of cs making my ping very erratic ranging from 130 to 400. Just today i got 5 errors and all i had open was mirc, all seeing eye, and cs. Any help would be appreciated. I live in Galway and i use the ntl isp. Also i have a US robotics 56k modem.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by [-=RaVeN=-]
    Also i have a US robotics 56k modem.
    Is it a hardware or sofware modem, whats type of sound card?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Its an external modem. I have an onboard via something or other soudn card. Its pretty crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by [-=RaVeN=-]
    Its an external modem. I have an onboard via something or other soudn card. Its pretty crap.

dunno-maybe its using some type of software emulation and chewing up cpu cycles -shrug -which could affect performance on serial port-whats your serial port set to in you DUN connection-maybe there is some setting where you could reduce the sound quality from the card

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

You should try using the other serial port on your machine which will have a different IRQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

i'll give that a go but it seems like a software error imho.

• Advertisement
Advertisement