Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personalise your Boards.ie

Options
  • 23-07-2002 12:27am
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok, I was bored. I admit it. But I thought this would be cool, so I did what any good code-hacker would do... downloaded the code, read it through and then called his mate who actually knew how to code in that language. In this case Ecksor.

Anyway, here it is... drum roll please....

http://www.boards.ie/subindex.php

If you are logged in and you go there you will get the usual front page but the last 20 posts will only be from forums you have subscribed to.

To subscribe to a forum click the Subscribe link under the New Post button (top right) on any forum in Boards.

So, enjoy, you can now personalise the last 20 to just your fav forums! or not! A bit like the Lillets ad.
    We'll link the two front pages soon so you can switch easily between them.

Mucho grassy arse to Ecksor for doing most of the worky bits on this.

DeV.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Nice one.

Been looking for this type thing for a while.
    See me post in the bugs/suggestions board

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Quite slick Dev, it'll encourage more people to subscribed to forum like me :p
    Ammit it, you were suprised to find someone actualy used the function :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Ah, I can't take the credit, DeV actually did most of the coding, I just edited the file.

No seriously, I can't take all the backslapping, I have to slap your back too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

Very nice!:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

*Masses of applause*

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

i like it :)

whats next on the agenda? maybe personalised skins for the boards :D

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Personalised skins are something I'd LIKE to do but then for every change to a style we'd have to make hundreds of changes accross all the skins. We're looking into this one.

Some of the next things I want to do are things like XML feeds of the forums and the like.

We need to get the coding lads into it but that has to wait until we've got the server rebuilt.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

Very nice, pretty handy aswell. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Any chance of enabling a date in the when part?
    I'm subscribed to 3 forums and the 20th post if from the 18th.

• Advertisement

I'm subscribed to Webgames, Role Playing, RTS Gaming, LexCorp + HomeWorld, but it's not showing lexcorp or HomeWorld.

It's not supposed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Originally posted by Celt
    I'm subscribed to Webgames, Role Playing, RTS Gaming, LexCorp + HomeWorld, but it's not showing lexcorp or HomeWorld.

check out clouds post
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=58140

Ah.

Can it be made too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

cool ........excellent idea !

Originally posted by Celt
    Can it be made too?

Yes. If DeV/Cloud/Regi think it's a good idea, I'll modify the code for it.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I think if you are logged in and you've subscribed to the forum then it should show in the "subscribed" version of the front page.
    Since you have control over that (by subscribing or not) I dont see any reason why we shouldnt offer that option.

DeV.

On OcUK Forums when you post in a thread you get subscribed to that thread and new posts show up and then dissapear after you've read 'em.

Might be an idea.

That also happens on these boards. For example, I'm subscribed to this thread, and I got a mail telling me that you had posted. It's a setting in the User CP if I remember correctly.

Originally posted by ecksor
    That also happens on these boards. For example, I'm subscribed to this thread, and I got a mail telling me that you had posted. It's a setting in the User CP if I remember correctly.

This auto subs ya.
    Its a lot handier than doing each one everytime

• Advertisement

And subscribed mode should show all subscribed forums now. Works for me, but if anyone spots any problems post them here. (should be ok, it was a _tiny_ change).

PPC, that's what I meant (I thought I was clearer, but I wasn't now that I reread what I posted). I'm subscribed to this thread because I posted to it.

Having said that, I can't find the option right now in the User CP, but I could have sworn ...

And 5 seconds later he spots it.

Click on "User CP" at the top of the page, then "edit options" and select "Yes" for "Use 'Email Notification' by default".

No its not the email i want.
    It appears as a subscribed a thread in your cp and you don't get a email unless you want one.

Hm, well that does subscribe me to all threads I post to, so I see it in my cp, but I don't see a way of doing it automatically without the e-mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Is there any chance the Skin pack could be released, so that us people who like designing stuff could, and then submit them to you for inspection, and if they pass they can be used?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I would just like to say thanks lads, being able to just have the forums you subscribe to is excellent! fair play :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

From an idea by DeV, I've added a "Subscribed Forums" pop out menu to the boards.ie drop down menu up at the top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

Dunno what i'm doing wrong but under my subbed menu it tells me that i am subscribed to Cable/MMDS/Broadband, which is fine but i cant access it as ICDG doesnt even appear under the Community Drop down menu when i'm logged in. Anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

How can you put those little messages & quotes at the base of your messages?

Advertisement