Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hltm work ?

• 29-04-2001 1:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

Im looking for html/webdesign work
    ive designed http://www.unreal-gamers.com/

The reason i find it hard 2 find work is because of my age 16.

any 1 got any ideas or offers?

( P.S: it is legal to work at my age. )

[This message has been edited by Cr8or (edited 29-04-2001).]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

erm NO smile.gif im 17 and know loads ur better off learning more stuff. you should of tryed brainbench.com while twas free i always used to get e-mails from recrutment agencies in dublin but of course when they found out how old i was they never said anything smile.gif .

what exactly do you know ? if your going to learn more stuff look towards java and asp which will both be fairly big if you dont wanna put any effort in learn coldfusion, php is pretty decent dont have much expierence with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Cr8or

im learning php at the min and im also doing basic(vb).

I was thinking of learning java but and mabe asp :/

[This message has been edited by Cr8or (edited 29-04-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Go to college. Get at least a Cert (2 years) or Dip (3).

You could work part time doing sites and stuff.

See prev thread on this.

Al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Jademan

I would agree with Trojan, it getting a lot more difficult these days to get a job with out some sort of collage education or recognised industry certification!

yea but yea can get verry far wit a jc can yea ? and no lc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Lord Khan

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cr8or:
    yea but yea can get verry far wit a jc can yea ? and no lc</font>

age is only really a problem up to 18.

doubtful ... you need a Leaving Cert to get in to College or Uni. I know several companies that won't hire unless you have at least one year of Uni or College ... even if you drop out ( what's wrong with that?? )

but seriously knowing HTML will only get you so far in web design now, previous jobs I've done required HTML, java and basic PERL.

PHP is good to know it's becoming more and more used, if you are learning PHP I recommended learning SQL(MySQL) too.

But personally the whole Internet business community in Ireland is a load of B*ll*ck. The typical Irish websites being created are a load of crap, they focus too much on having FLASH intro's and excessive amounts of shockwave. that content is now just about non-existant.

To get a job in Web design or web building you need some piece of paper and a nice portfolio behind you ... which was why I used to do a load of free websites when I was younger. hell even make up ones your self. America is a really good place for getting web building or web design jobs, a friend of mine was over there for the summer working in a bar ... he barely knows HTML he can just about spell front page :-) and he landed a job $450 a week building a site for a company. I got one similar too with more experince ... I was only over for a month or so and went for an interview, they asked me when I could start before I leave the office :-).

you can try just looking up all the webdesign companies in ireland and just send in your CV with a few example links.

Yea i might do that. I was going 2 put an add in the paper and c what i would get from it :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭harVee

Yeah, if you think about it, as much effort should go into webdesign as any other sort (ie advertising, furniture etc.)
    At the moment, because it's so accessible, any fool with a copy of frontpage thinks they deserve £30k p.a.
    Stringing html together on the fly is not hard, but web design should be treated the same as any other software engineering (or regular eng. for that matter) project. design design design. and when you are doing that think content content content.

i dont think you can get a job just by knowing html, a lot of ppl who use flash claiming to be pro's because they can use motion tween dont have a clue about it. they look all puzzeled when u mention action script. recently i have seen a great decline in html/javascript jobs now comapanys seem to be looking for ppl with all the front end and 2 or 3 backend languages with them.

if your learning vb go with asp thats what you make asp with or jscript. to make jsp(java) pages you have to learn java itself which is like C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Argh! That's me! I'm a web designer (with work done for Alfa Romeo and Citroen) and I know Perl and some SH and SQL. I can set up webservers too, on Unix machines (and probably Windows, never tried it). Why haven't I gotten a better job that 4.51 an hour cleaning up after filthy kids! frown.gif

It rained in San Francisco Wednesday evening, but the penguins were
    still there Thursday morning, smiling broadly.

[This message has been edited by JustHalf (edited 29-04-2001).]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭vac

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Why haven't I gotten a better job that 4.51 an hour cleaning up after filthy kids! </font>

lol, I think i know you Justhalf, i have worked were you work wink.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Lord Khan

hmmmm so all the great webbers can be found in MacDonalds cleaning the floor?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by VacilatoR:
    lol, I think i know you Justhalf, i have worked were you work wink.gif</font>
    Yeah Phil, are you still crap at Quake 3? smile.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Lord Khan:
    hmmmm so all the great webbers can be found in MacDonalds cleaning the floor?</font>
    No, the cinema. smile.gif And it's just me smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

mail me @ vagga@iol.ie and I may be able ot put you in contact with a few nixers

Thanks for all the comments and thanks 2 vAGGABOND as well smile.gif

BTW - its HTML, not HLTM as you say in the topic, its kinda important wink.gif

[This message has been edited by tHE vAGGABOND (edited 01-05-2001).]

lol typo biggrin.gif

vAGGABOND did u get my mail?

and mine!! biggrin.gif

• Advertisement

> frown.gif

is that why you havent replyed?
    :/

nope he aint replyed to me either maybe he just wanted to get our hopes up and then say NO, if u wanna organize something between urself and me ill get u on irc/icq/msn some time i fink its all in my profile if not here they are

sbdi on irc
    icq# 26402432
    msn terenure_66@hotmail.com

got several mails - just getting my act together on my own side..

U will hear from me over the weekend.

If you wanted u could send me examples of work (as some of you have done already!) Im not going to give you stuff to do based on your word smile.gif

vagg i think you know my work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭vac

HAHAHAHAHA Its dave, i don't ever remeber playing you in q3 dave and btw, j0000000 SUCKS :P

Phil, on a 30 minute game of Q3, with you playing vert and getting 30 odd frags, I can in with 10 mins to go and you bet me by one or two frags. It's interesting the things you forget when it doesn't suit you smile.gif.

Advertisement