Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comp constantly restarting/ending programs

• 23-07-2002 5:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭

Since I got the comp, it's restarted once or twice while I was playing jk2. I assumed something went wrong during install, and didnt bother playing it much since then. everything went fine. Got a new modem (old one was faulty), and found that it's crashing much more often now that I use it more often. I'd be in the middle of playing a game, and the program would suddenly close, if I tried restart the program, sometimes it'd run fine for about half an hour then restart my system, but usually quicker.

Considering the fact I spent a few hundred on an AMDXP 2000, GF4 and 512DDR to make it a proper gaming machine, it doesnt do me any good if the damn thing keeps crashing on me!

anybody got any ideas on how to fix this problem?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Most problems that occur after a set amount of time under heavy stress are heat related. When it crashes go into your BIOS and check the case/CPU temps, see if you can find a correlation between the crashes and any set temp. If you're o'clocking either the Gfx or cpu drop both back to normal and see if it works, if it does try moving your Gfx card back up first, when you hit it's limit take your CPU up. I've found with my own Gf4 that it's very sensitive to the FSB, much more so than any other GF card I;ve had over the years (ie. Lowering the FSb a few mhz allowed me to o'clock the core/ram of the card a bit more).
    If that doesn't do any good then it's the usual route of checking you have the correct Agp/chipset drivers etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Seems like it may be a overheating issue to me also.
    Either the card or the CPU.
    But my BIOS beeps when it overheats and then goes into shutdown ,thought all them did

Have you got the correct HSF???

get motherboard monitor and check you temps .

kdja

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

or right click My Computer->properties->advanced->startup and recovery->uncheck box to automatically reboot in event of system failure.
    Check your logs to find out what's causing it to happen.
    I also won't touch motherboard monitor, use your bios to check your temps, last system I had I would startup motherboard monitor and every fan on my system stopped dead!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

hold on
    your topic says its restarting and ending programs.
    but you seem to be saying its crashing and restarting the system.

is it individual apps that are being stop/started, or the entire machine just hangs and then restarts?
    or does it just restart on its own?

by the way, when you say crashing, describe exactly what is happening?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

It actually mainly happens when I run games.. so the most logical explanation is that I need to get a few fans...I'll get something to monitor the heat, any recommended progs and where I can get em?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Motherboard monitor 5 or MBProbe.
    Google 'em

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

not a very practical suggestion I know. But you could get a water cooling system.

Does anyone else REALLY want one of these?

It will keep your PC cooler than a fan will and over-clocking and over heating is no longer a problem. And your PC is eerily silent!

anyways ...

for temperature testing equipment and water cooling systems for PCs

http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/02q1/020102/watercooling-11.html

Advertisement