Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptops with Docking Stations

Options
  • 23-07-2002 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭

Having no experience with Docking Stations I need a question answered.

When setting up a laptop(NT4) onto a network do you initially do it with it docked or undocked??

Thanks for the help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Would normally set it up docked, but you haven't given any information as to network cards on the laptop and expansion base. Are you using PCMCIA adapters or are the LAN ports integrated and also will the laptop be used on the LAN both docked and undocked.

Makes and models also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

yep complete lack of information there..
    does the docking station itself have a network card?
    or does the laptop have a network card? or both?

set it up whatever way it will be (the majority of the time) in the office and go from there.

moved to net/comms anyway..

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

They're Dell Latitude C10's(American). I don't know whether they're port replicators or true docking stations yet.

The laptops have integrated NIC's, 3com 3c905tx's. Again the docking/port stations may have an integrated NIC also.

The laptops will need to be used networked when away from the docking station aswell.

Before all this Docking station stuff I configured office laptops with 2 hardware profiles disabling the NIC when the user logs in on the Stadalone profile. They would then use RAS to dial in when away from the office. They will continue to do this but with the docking station staying at their desks obviously so that when they are in the office they dock, choose the networked profile and can log in.

As I said, I have no experience with Docking Stations but have heard stories where if you don't configure them a certain way it leads to some messy problems.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Still a bit all over the place with this.

First off, find out if you've got replicators or expansion bases and what/if ethernet cards are installed(or if there is just a pass through as found on the Dell X200).

You mention RAS & Docked. Are these the only two profiles that you intend to use or are you also planning to have the Dell attached to a LAN port when undocked.

Lastly, have never heard of a Latitude C10. Are you sure you didn't mean a C510, 610 or 810, in which case you'll have either C/Dock II's or C/Port II's.

Advertisement