Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watercooling in Ireland?

Options
  • 23-07-2002 12:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭

Has anyone switched over to water-cooling here?

I got a new P4 1.8A and it's runs amazingly well with an open case, got it up to 2.7Ghz stable, but when I close the case it gets so incredibly hot inside, and of course the whole thing crashes within 15 minutes.

So I was thinking it's finally time to make the switch over to water cooling. I'd keep the pump and rad outside the case, lying on the floor or something. I've been looking around, however there doesn't seem to be any sites into this sort of thing in Ireland, and for christs sake every store that ships to Ireland has ridiculous shipping charges. For example getting a simple pump relay switch from a store in the states (costs $18), they're asking $50 for delivery. Getting anything from a store in the UK - 25 quid ! I mean what's wrong with these people !?

I was thinking of getting something like:
    Black Ice rad
    Eheim 1046 / 1048 pump w/ reservoir
    Dangerden Maze3 Socket 478 block
    Dangerden or Innovatek Geforce4 block
    Swiftech PRS kit

Any suggestions? I'd love to hear from people who've done this before, or just get a few links to stores that don't rip you off on shipping.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Dizz

On a side note watch out for VAT + Duty if you're bringing your gear in from ythe states - that delivery charge will double if not treble! :mad:

You might want to look for some german online shops - I don't have any URL's on hand but if I remember correctly tomshardware.com recently had a review on water cooling systems and provided a number of URL's.

Tell us how ya got on - I'm dead interested in getting the plumbing in my box :)

Dizz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

Yeah, they have one US site and one german site listed. The german one is out of stock at the moment (wonder why?) and the US... well... even if they did ship over you'd be stuck with a 110v pump.

One interesting thing I've found out. Stores from Italy and Germany charge a lot less for shipping than the UK ones. And they're further out. What's the story here? And it's not a small difference! 7 euro or 35 quid... that's a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Try
    http://www.watercooling.de
    or
    http://www.com-tra.de
    (Actually tbh i'm not 100% sure they ship to Ireland)
    or
    http://www.overclockershideout.com

The latter is purdy expensive, but sell sweet parts.

Don't go super cheap. Just do it and get it over with. I got watercooling and I've been a happy puppy ever since.

Thanks! What did you get yourself, and if you don't mind me asking where did you order it from?

Did you ever find a store that sells Swiftech PRS kit or something else that lets you run the pump only when the PC is turned on? I mean a store that ships here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Dizz

How noisy/quiet are the water cooling setups? Are the fans on the rad' or is the water pump the noisier of the compnents?

Dizz

• Advertisement

It depends. I used to have it set up with a load of fans aswell (cos it was a ****ty old small case). Now in my new Chieftec case, lots of space, tidy cables, I don't really have any fans set up (though I will be putting one in).

The fans on my rad are on 7 volt, so they're pretty much quiet. The pump itself makes a bit of noise, but I can't say I notice it much, it's definitely better than it was when I was running on aircooling (though admittedly that's a long time ago).

I got the reservoir with pumps in it from OChideout (saves space, and really really easy to fill). I'm not sure they sell that one anymore that I got though. I admit tough the plexi external filler from watercooling.de looks pretty nice :) And the Einheim pumps are meant to be deadly.

I'm not big on the Swiftech kits, so I haven't really checked if many of them ship it here.

I hope someone else will answer your question from experience... :)

I figure if I leave the pump and radiator outside the case and lie them down on the floor on some padded material there wouldn't be any vibration noise, and I'd keep the noise of the fan down to a minimum by either wiring it to 7v or 5v if it's too noisy at the default 12v.

And with all the heat removed from the PC case I'd wire the power supply fan to 7v or 5v. Already tried this and it's noiseless.

I guess the most annoying thing for me is the fact that I can't overclock the processor as far as I'd like to, and once I get into the 2+ GHz clocks in the closed case the little Intel cooler starts spinning so fast it produces a higher pitched noise and you can literally hear it through the case.

I just hope I won't get dissapointed by the noise levels and performance.

BTW the pump noise volume will also depend on which pump you get, of course, but as you say with padding you should be able to get that down to a minimum. Mmm, water :)

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

I was watercooling until last week until me brother (bullman) forgot to turn on the pump, everything got wet because the block overheated and then leaked . It dried out me pc and is working now tho.
    I got a Maxi-jet 1200(quite) from http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk they also do Eheims delivery was alright aswell about St£3.50.
    I got a motorbike radiator which can hold 2 120mm fans on both sides. I believe that heater cores are better a local scrapyard should have these. Far cheaper than the Black Ice.
    Dunno about water blocks as i made me own wasn't too hard.
    I only had one fan run very low but i could have done with two as one didn't cover me rad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Well, being the lazy git that I am, I just ordered a Swiftech FS020-H20-C372 case. Ultra quiet, self contained, pre built watercooling. With most of the heat being dissipated outside the case I reckon you can line it with PowerSnooze to absorb whats left of internal noise.
    http://216.116.115.209/SwiftechQuietPower.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Thats sweet creed. That setup has been around for a while, looks like they made some nice little improvements. Those fans look like panaflos to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

How much did you pay? The prices on that site seemed high for just watercooling.

Matt

Thanks guys for all the help, I'm really glad there's people who've done this before and wanted to share the experience!

As of yesterday, I've gone watercooling and don't think I'll be going back :)

Got a kit from www.watercooling.de (thanks koneko!), works like a charm and the pump is really silent. Took all the fans out of the case and left he power supply fan running at 7v. Figure it's about as silent as it will ever get. Pushed the P4 1.8a to 2.7Ghz and it's running cool and quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

How much did you spend?

saw 1 thing saying €49 and i was like thats cheap and then when i added it to the cart it went to 180 cause it adds all the things like rad, pump, ect...

€300 + some €30 for the shipping.

€49 might be the price of just one waterblock.
    If you ever see a kit for that price I'd be wary of the quality.
    This thing is worth every cent :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭mackanz

German is as far as i know the best place to buy wc parts from, the delivery is dead cheap.

If you look at my rig in my sig, all wc parts except for the pump was delivered for 10 euro (!) and the quality of the setup is 2:nd to none. My XP 1600 runs at 2.05 volt @1950 MHZ, sig not updated. The temps are 27 for the system and 42 for the cpu at max load.

Dangerden.com is a us based manufacturer that sends to europe, vat free even! Just ask them to send it as a gift and you should be allright. However, dont buy the pump from there as it is 110 volts compare to our 220 here.

Mac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭[CALIBUR]

I'm trying to get bits and pieces togeter to make my pc. And I'm thinking of putting watercooling in my rig. I know some stuff of watercool but I feel I should know more?. Any places where I can get info about it (I'm lazy and short on internet time)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭BioHazRd

This thread has a few good links or you could try http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=64576

I have now bought a watercooling rig. All I have to do now is wait for the delivery - I will post the results and pics of my project as it happens.

Bio

Advertisement