Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job Advice?

• 09-05-2001 9:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭

Ok, I've eventually decided to go back to college. Ive accepted a 4 year Masters Degree course in Computer Science and Computational Physics over in London starting this September coming.

Ok, my question is, Ill be in London living with my girlfriend, doin 35 hours a week in college. Ive got a decent nuff CV including 1 1/2 years workin cyber cafes, 2 years in Network Management, 6 months in Web-Design, 6 months as an apprentice stock-broker, a 1st class honors in 1 year of Law in UCD and lots of other stuff.

What kind of job should I be looking for over in London?

How many hours a week could I work while studying for a first class honors (bearing in mind im an insomniac and don't sleep)?

How much can I expect to be paid?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by [fist]Pi$$er:
    Ok, I've eventually decided to go back to college. Ive accepted a 4 year Masters Degree course in Computer Science and Computational Physics over in London starting this September coming.

</font>

nice one. congratulations. shinji lives in london so you might ask him about what its all about. erm, maybe not!
    is it day or evening course? funnily enough. thats a siimilar course to what i was doing in college, except i was doig physics with computaional physics. more maths i guess smile.gif

Ok, my question is, Ill be in London living with my girlfriend, doin 35 hours a week in college. Ive got a decent nuff CV including 1 1/2 years workin cyber cafes, 2 years in Network Management, 6 months in Web-Design, 6 months as an apprentice stock-broker, a 1st class honors in 1 year of Law in UCD and lots of other stuff.

B]</font>

thats a lot of experience. however, its also a lot of job hoping, and unless you have good excuses for each of them, and make sure people know wat those excuses are, they will think that you are a job hopper. not a good thing.

What kind of job should I be looking for over in London?

B]</font>

what are you interested in? theres absolutely thousands of IT jobs in london
    www.jobtrack.co.uk or www.stepstone.co.uk
    figure out what you want before you do anything. however, are you looking for part time jobs? evening work, day work?
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">

How much can I expect to be paid?</font>

again, what are you looking for....
    try and get enough to live on. london is REALLY expensive in every way. just remember that. but if you are going to have 2 incomes coming inyou should be ok.

one thing i will say is that its very hard to study, work, and kep a relationship going. ive done it. at some stage you may find yourself sacrificing one for another. just be careful to balance everything. obviously the relationship and degree come first (at least in my book) so ifyou have to get a part time job in mcdonalds for 4 years, then thats just what you have to do.
    think about priorities.
    /end advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭[fist]Pi$$er

Jeez thanx m8, good advice, Ur much nicer on boards then in real life, slaggin my fat ass!!!!!! wink.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

well, you didnt have to turn around did you?
    i mean, you do a little turn for a bunch of drunk blokes, you gotta admit...!
    anyway, no pobs for the advise. not like im a pro, just stuff that makes sense and from experience.
    that'll be a tenner please!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Ah, our Eamo can be a nice chap occasionally! smile.gif

What you're talking about certainly sounds like a challenge. Personally, I just went through my final year of college after working (I did 3 years, worked a year, then went back). It's bloody tough and you have to be very determined because you don't really have a student mentality smile.gif

I think you've 2 options when seen from a certain POV.

- You can finance yourself with plenty of different jobs and get by alright.

- You can try and have a "career" as well as college, ie only one job on the side, proll better paid than the other ones. Requires a lot more effort though.

One area I think you may be interested in is Training, theres a lot of companies doing C&G training looking for people to teach. Half decent money (£16/hr at the low end of the scale (VEC pay), I got £20/hr in Galway). It's nice work if you enjoy dealing with people and stuff.

Anyways, best of luck.

Al.

Advertisement