Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

workplace ettiquete?

• 20-04-2001 10:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭

Everybody knows about not critising people in public but that's about all I know about how to behave in the workplace. smile.gif

Back when I worked in apple, we used to have meetings at the other end of the building, so often my boss and I would walk up together. I never knew should I hang back and let him go through a door first, or barge through the door first and hold open the door for him. If I let him go first, I'm (no pervy meaning here) being submissive, but then he had to hold the door for me, which is not something you should have to do for an underling smile.gif Would the rules be different if my boss was a woman? Funniest answer wins a prize biggrin.gif

not really smile.gif

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

our director here started about 9 months ago.
    he came up out of nowhere and started shouting at this guy in our office. this guy is the quiet person ive ever met. hard working. just really nice. the director starts laying into him, calls him a fu<kwit, asks him what the fu<k he thinks hes doing, has he got a fu<king brain, was he clueless.
    the guy stands there and says, excuse me, what are you talking about. director goes, you know what im on about, im on about such and such a thing. the guy responds, oh, i think you'll find that that guy over there is looking after it, and its been done.
    ive never in my life seen anyone apologise so much and so profusely in my life. my supervisor then came up and lashed the **** out of the director and and told him if he ever spoke to any of his people like taht again, not only would he report him to HR, but that he would drag him out side and kick the living **** out of him.....
    director has been as nice as pie ever since....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Magwitch

Not sure I agree with those rules but thats why maybe I work for myself. I did punch a sales man once. He was a knob of the shiny red clibre who was abusive as hel to my junior when I was not about. SO he lost it with me when I took him up on it. So I smacked him and siad that when he lost it he pushed me (a lie of course) but I did have the good sense to point out that the other version of the story came from a "salesman" with s temper to boot. Never looked back but jacked all that office horse in for a laugh, too much hassle.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I had a bad experience once - not realising the person I was talking to on the other end of a phone was a director (he answered the IT guy's phone *all* the time, so I thought he was IT staff), I asked him if he'd send a fax for me (ours was out of action). He said he would and I went about getting the fax sorted (cause I was the tech aswell). It all blew up - yer man never sent the fax, I got in a hell of a lot of grief, one of the supervisors of the company resigned over the whole mess and I couldn't turn around and say "it was the director's fault!"

It's messy and it make's life pants, but I'd loved to have been a fly on the wall for that episode Eamo smile.gif

There's all sorts of things you've got to look out for - show respect (especially when they don't deserve it - they're obviously dinosaurs who don't know any different).

A few rules:
    • NEVER take the most comfy looking chair in a meeting or canteen
    • Open the doors for the boss
    • Let the boss do the talking unless he/she asks you to talk
    • No matter how tired you are and boring the meeting is, stay alert
    • Don't go over your bosses head unless you really have to!

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Prepare yourself - The Beefy King stirs from his slumber...</font>

[honey i] violated [the kids]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kharn:
    A few rules:
    • NEVER take the most comfy looking chair in a meeting or canteen
    • Open the doors for the boss
    • Let the boss do the talking unless he/she asks you to talk
    • No matter how tired you are and boring the meeting is, stay alert
    • Don't go over your bosses head unless you really have to!
    </font>

biggrin.gif

- Ciaran
    smoke-me-a-kipper
    S-M-A-K bottom!!™

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Hmm, some of the no-no's I've committed...

Went out to a night-club on my first night in Limerick, was 3 hours late for my first day of work at Dell (excuse was, soz, got a puncture driving down from Mayo this morning)

Almost missed a big meeting between our co. and a major s/w co. cos I was out the night before (hmm, seems to be a connection here), but I made the dart that my boss was on, so I was able to go over and proceeded to sleep through the meeting (oops).

Hmm, that's enough for now, both unfortunately true...

Al.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

here's another one :

don't shag any fellow employees smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Megatron

why ????
    i've done so .. then again most of the left the company ofter about 2 months !!!
    but yes a general rule , don't sh!t on your own doorstep

No !!!!! I will crush you with my Bare hands

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

When working in Quinnsworth IT once I had a blazing row with one of the directors.

The guy was an assh0le and I'd been on a 12 hour day (short by the standards of the office).

The network crashed due to a moron severing a fibre optic and we fixed it within 20 minutes! (thats response time!)

One machine *didnt* crash and after 12 hecktic hours he told me he wanted to know why.

I ask him sarcastically how long I should watch it work properly. He wasnt impressed so the next day he called me into the office (just off the main programmers area) to officially rebuke me.

I think he got as far as "I'm thoroughly dissappointed in your attitude" before I just totally and utterly lost it. I mean baaaad.

If any of you have heard me shout at lans you know the surprising loud voice I have (for such a weedy body smile.gif )

I let loose a torrent of telling him exactly what I thought of him and how bad a manager he was and how he didnt know jack about technology (true!) etc.
    I dont recall what I said exactly except at one point he tried to tell me to calm down so I told him to sit down and shut up and listen. I dunno who was more surprised when he did!

When I stormed out the programmers were nowhere to be seen, they were hiding behind their monitors laughing hysterically and as I stalked righteous back to my desk a few gave me the thumbs up.

I dunno much about ettiquette but thats how you DONT it smile.gif

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

LOL dev smile.gif
    pld

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DeVore:
    When working in Quinnsworth IT once I had a blazing row with one of the directors.

The guy was an assh0le and I'd been on a 12 hour day (short by the standards of the office).

The network crashed due to a moron severing a fibre optic and we fixed it within 20 minutes! (thats response time!)

One machine *didnt* crash and after 12 hecktic hours he told me he wanted to know why.

I ask him sarcastically how long I should watch it work properly. He wasnt impressed so the next day he called me into the office (just off the main programmers area) to officially rebuke me.

I think he got as far as "I'm thoroughly dissappointed in your attitude" before I just totally and utterly lost it. I mean baaaad.

If any of you have heard me shout at lans you know the surprising loud voice I have (for such a weedy body smile.gif )

I let loose a torrent of telling him exactly what I thought of him and how bad a manager he was and how he didnt know jack about technology (true!) etc.
    I dont recall what I said exactly except at one point he tried to tell me to calm down so I told him to sit down and shut up and listen. I dunno who was more surprised when he did!

When I stormed out the programmers were nowhere to be seen, they were hiding behind their monitors laughing hysterically and as I stalked righteous back to my desk a few gave me the thumbs up.

I dunno much about ettiquette but thats how you DONT it smile.gif

DeV.
    </font>

wasnt the same person who tried to insert several floppies into a drive similtaneously was it tom?

[This message has been edited by WhiteWashMan (edited 07-05-2001).]

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DeVore:
    When working in Quinnsworth IT once I had a blazing row with one of the directors.</font>

Wasn't a guy I used to work with was it Tom??? Answers to the name of Billy Boy?!?!? wink.gif

All the best!
    Dav
    @B^)
    So I turned around to Jack Charlton and said: "Well of course it's not a football Jack, it's an '86 Chardonay!!!"
    [honey i] violated [the kids]
    Tribes 2 Goodness
    The Dawn of the Beefy King approaches...

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

WWMan, Nah that was another muppet in there.

Kharn, yup ... the one and only.

Tom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭[fist]Pi$$er

Hey, DeVore, u worked in Quinsworth IT? I worked in Tesco IT!!! (does that make u my predecessor?) Was it the Infotech Department?

I have a story I like to remind myself of every time I need a smile.

One of the top Director's (We're Talkin big bucks) secretaries was a right cow. She had, how should I say, a few assets that weren't really to do with her typing skillz. But both of these assets were rather impressive, prizes of the company, well, prizes of the director in Question anyway wink.gif .

So neway, this lady was complaining that her printer wasn't good enough 4 her needs, a nice little HP Laserjet. We constantly explained for about two weeks that the printer was perfect, it was the fact that she didn't really use it properly.

Neway, eventually, she moaned for long enough (if u know what I mean) and I was called into the Directors office 4 a chat (not good methinks). I calmly explained that the printer was perfect and that the only other types of printer we purchased were unsuitable for her tasks. He got angry, I licked up to him, and two days later there was £15,000 worth of WOW Laser printer sitting under her desk (it had a brilliant wax paper color option which was just amazing, printed amazing res at A3 'n' all). I thought my problem was over.

A week after this, and I got an emergency call on my bleeper on a Saturday at 9am (I was a Mon-Fri 9-5er). A Taxi picked me up, I was rushed straight to the office where the Director and his Secretary were having awfull trouble printing a few documents which were to be produced five minutes ago, according to this guy on pain of my job.

I took a look at the printer. Realized they had physically broken this hefty beast (Quite alot of work involved in breaking one of those babies, believe me). What had happened was they had attempted to print, not realizing that a machine of this magnitude is designed for constant printing, and takes about 15 mins to warm up. When they became impatient, they broke it. Muppets.

I promptly went down to the lock-up, grabbed the old printer, plugged it in, no reboot. Clicked on Print and out popped the valuable pages.

I was God for 5 Mins

As they rushed off to a meeting, I asked what I was to do with the 2 week old Printer in a bad state of repair on the ground. The Director told me to get rid of it.

And thats how I got a great Xmas bonus and a brand new £15,000 printer in my bedroom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

pffffft.......you's should try working in a stock brokers. All the dealers are peon's of the highest order.
    The corp Finace department are the biggest load of muppets.

Settlements & Client services are some of the nicest ppl you will meet.

Notes and cack ups of Departments:
    Dealers: We use a system called Global Topic. There are two different types of this system. The Trader and Workstation. There are two Traders, both have Dell Optiplex Gx110's with 128 megs ram and 633Mhz cpu's. one of the Traders (this is its user) Started saying his system need more ram as it was to slow. When I went up it seemed ok. So I told him to call me if it "slows down again". a day later He rang saying it's happing again(But not in such nice terms) When I went up and looked at the comp......He had about 20 IE windows up, abotu 10 word and excel. and the Trader program. I told him that is why, and him that was why it was slow and that he should try closing down some windows. Not content with this answer, he went to one of the MD's who looks after the Dealers. blah blah blah....he still moans about not having enough ram (how ever the second trader is ok?!?!?!)

Corp Finance: I went up to them to install speakers and sound cards on their systems as the had gone to the second MD who is over them. I wen to test the sound on one of the comps when the guy loaded up napster and connected to the natster server....through our Firewall (I'm not going to say what type it is, but its a very good one) Thinking to my self this guy must be joking, I went to my boss, told him what ya'man was doing, my boss went and gave him a bloxing (as we had a out side source doing penetration test on our firewall) (BTW the guy was the head of Corp Finance, and knew fully what was going on with the testing)

what I want to know is, Why is it ok for them to go over our heads and go to the MD's on us. But as soon as we try do it, we get told to fu<k off and end up having to do it our selfs. Its things like that that get me going in an office.

As fo opening doors for people....This is how I do it. If you are Fist to the door, you open it and let the other ppl through first. If you are about five seconds a head of some one you hold the door for them.(I blame working in IBM's AS/400 plant for this line of thought)

pps...I'm tired and sorry for not making sence

ps......is it just me or are IT the under dogs of all companies........but if theres no IT department for 20 min, the place can't function?????

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    aka: sutty
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com

Advertisement