Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark House : S.King/P.Straub

Options
  • 23-07-2002 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭

OK....

I used to be a big King fan. Yes, he is probably the "McDonalds of Horror" (his own term), but some of the stuff he wrote was genuinely very very good.

I went off him a while ago, but recently was tempted back by his second collaboration with Peter Straub.

The first collab produced a book called The Talisman, which I found to be a good read. I was hoping that this would be more of the same.

It is. So much of the same, in fact, that there are strong ties between both books, of which I will say no more.

However, also of note, is that this new book also ties in to King's on-and-off series The Dark Tower. For a while I thought he had abandoned it, but the tie-in which is done in this book kinda explains a lot of what the hell he is trying to do with the DarkTower series, indicating to me (at least) that book 5 of said series should be on its way any year now.

Anyways....I enjoyed it. This is quality King, as opposed to quantity King. Its pretty good...

jc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Thanks for that bonkey. Also was a big fan of Stephen King about ten years ago. Loved the Talisman, haven't gotten around to picking up Dark House at all. May go get it following your ncie favourable review

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

You know, I've not read any King since the green mile.
    And my Salem's Lot has gone missing mysteriously when I wanted to read it again. :confused:

But I don't think I've been satisfied with his work since I read Salem's.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by AngelWhore
    But I don't think I've been satisfied with his work since I read Salem's.

Salem's Lot was his second novel. Are you saying that only it and Carrie were "satisfying" for you?

I'm assuming not - that you read them out of order - but if thats the case, then I'd still have no idea what you consider as "good King" or "bad King".

For me, I liked almost all of his work up to Dolores Claibourne / Geralds Game which came out rather close together, although Tommyknockers (only shortly before that) was seriously dodgy too.

Since then, I've read very little of his work.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

I loved The Talisman, and i be looking forward to this one now..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Mikill

Don't you mean "Black House" ?? , as oposed to "Dark House"
    as you mentioned ?
    (just thought i'd point this out , in case ppl make a mistake)
    I'm reading it now atm and am finding very very good.
    What i find about Stephen King is he is a very descriptive writer
    which is one of the main reasons i like him so much.
    I read one of his Compilations ( Short Stories) , "Nightmares & Dreamscapes" , was pretty good.It was full of short stories
    which is good if you dont feel like reading a full-length novel.
    Anyways , I would recommend Black House to any fans of
    the genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Ahem - Black House.

Of course.

Silly me.

jc

Advertisement