Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DivX to VHS - How to?

• 23-07-2002 6:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭

Hi,

How would I copy a DivX (or a .avi/.wmv/etc) to a VHS cassette? Bear in mind in a newbie at this, and most of the stuff I've found already is how to do the opposite.

I know I'll need a Graphics card with Tv Out, and some kind of port to go on the SCART input on the Tv, to take the video+audio feeds, but that's the extent of my knowledge! TIA,

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Thanks!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

No problems, mightn't of been much help though, I'm gona buy a tv in/out card soon enough now, and see fi I can get it work right recording divx's
    Tell me if you can get it sorted too..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

I've tried it on an ATI AIW 128 32mb AGP card (the one with that rage theater chip), on a Hauppage WinTV home theater card, and on a Hauppage PCtv pro card, and met with limited success every time. I was using bundled software / shareware / demos only though. Problems included picture no audio, audio no picture, gamma/contrast problems, frame skipping (leading to synch problems, and completely inaccurate picture colouring. ATM I have it working on stuff I record myself to MPEG 2 using the bundled software so it might have something to do with source file formats? *shrug*

If you have any more luck than I have, please post back here :)

<edit> got theatre card name wrong (pctv -> wintv) </edit>

Hmm,

I'm gonna get a GeForce 3 with Tv Out and try that. I have a Tv/Video combi with one SCART input on the back, or a VHS Video Recorder to try. It'll be a while, but I'll post the results when they're available.

BTW, check out www.doom9.org

• Advertisement

I have a WinTV card, I can watch tv on it,
    Not sure if it has out, thought I see a little hole, with a yellow ring around it, I think thats the tv out now, not too sure..
    Will have to get my hands on a vcr player, as the one in our house controls the sky digital, pipe and pipe going to other televisions in the house..

Yeah, I have a WinTv card here too, with the following jacks:
    (In order) Tv, Line Out, S-Video, Line In, Vid (Yellow). I'll try experimenting with the Tv/Video combi and the VCR, and see what I get. I mainly want to record .divX's onto VHS cassette, so I'll see what happens.

BTW, This (http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/details.php?CartID=020724220626144988&moduleno=29325&modulecode=) would be pretty cool for receiving regular Tv onto your Pc.

Hmm, just saw this: (http://www.paraknowya.com/articles/reviews/WinTV/WinTV3.shtml)

Seems the WinTv card in input-only. Ah well. BTW, does anyone know if you can stream DivX's over a network, and at what speeds is it acceptable viewing?

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭noog

you only need about 100k/s for divx streaming divx across a network, and seeing as the slowest speed networks you can pickup these days are 10mbit (roughly 600/700k/s) you shoudlen't have any problems in that department...

As for the TV-out, i currently use a Hollywood+ card (actually a Creative drx3) but it's rather messy as it's intended for DVD output, so i have to convert my movies to MPEG before outputting... however it has the advantage of being alot crisper and supports a better resolution than a standard tv-out

As for the win-tv, it's only intended to recieve TV signals i think , (Does it recieve digital signal? )

I wouldent mind a card so i can pick up the free Sky chanels from my computer... that would be rather decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭noog

i meant a card to receieve digital terestrial, not sky... but as it's not avaliable in eire , i doubt you'd know :>

nm

• Advertisement

Originally posted by noog
    you only need about 100k/s for divx streaming divx across a network, and seeing as the slowest speed networks you can pickup these days are 10mbit (roughly 600/700k/s) you shoudlen't have any problems in that department...

Thanks. Ideas were also to capture Tv shows on the WinTv card and leave them on the server in case anyone missed them on Tv that week :D

As for the win-tv, it's only intended to recieve TV signals i think , (Does it recieve digital signal? )

I don't think it receives digital signals, have to check the docs...

I wouldent mind a card so i can pick up the free Sky chanels from my computer... that would be rather decent.

i meant a card to receieve digital terestrial, not sky... but as it's not avaliable in eire , i doubt you'd know :>

Umm, check out the link to that GigaAir 2020 Video Sender from Maplin (link above). If you plug that into your Tv, and transmit to the receiver that's plugged into your Tv-In on your Tv Card, it might work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

yer soon as i get a second grfx card with tv-out for meh old pc il be streaming meh films over the network - i can get about 6megs a sec throughput so the bandwidth should be enough for dvd's

old nvidia tnt2's with tv-out are easy to come buy these days second hand

Avaible in PCI strat, and locations of getitng them second hand cheap these days? :)

Advertisement