Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL - Is there a preffered DNS server?

Options
  • 23-07-2002 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭

About a month ago, I got a new comp, and as many know, the NTL CD didnt work with it. So I rang up the help line, one person said they'll mail out the details, while another just gave me the NTL number, and said it'll work fine with that. and it did. The info didnt arrive until today (3 weeks later), and it looks like it's the british info, as it uses a british number. What I noticed on it was a preffered and alternate DNS server. Somebody told me today that if Im not using it,I'll be charged by eircom.

Anybody got any clarification on this? Other people have told me that only britian uses the DNS servers. And christ I hope to god we dont, if we do, then it means another unpayable bill from the rat..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Hi Tizloz,

DNS servers have no bearing on cost, it is simply the machine your pc uses to resolve domain names to the actual location of the website on the net (its IP address).

You can use a DNS in tahiti if you want, it will have no impact on your phone bill, as long as the number you dial to go online is a local/1891/etc number.

HTH, Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Somebody told me today that if Im not using it,I'll be charged by eircom.

Sounds like they were talking about putting a prefix before the dial up number i.e. so your phone calls are routed via NTL for billing.
    Like steve said, what DNS addresses you use has nothing to do with billing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭ando

well technically you do get chared for DNS IP addresses. When you dial up, you are using DHCP and you pay for getting the IP address of the ISP's DNS server.

What I do to avoid this is manually put in a DNS address into the 'Networking' tab in the Dial up configuration.

The next time your online, get the DNS IP by typing 'winipcfg/all' or 'ipconfig/all'

Right down the IP's of the 1st and 2nd DNS servers, and when you disconnect, go into the dial up configuration.... networking tab and manually type in the DNS IP.

Just dont make the mistake of making the IP address of your machine the same as the DNS server. Then you'll never be able to connect.

:rolleyes:

When you dial up, you are using DHCP and you pay for getting the IP address of the ISP's DNS server.

No, you do not. You will be charged the same regardless of whether you specify the DNS or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Originally posted by ando
    well technically you do get chared for DNS IP addresses. When you dial up, you are using DHCP and you pay for getting the IP address of the ISP's DNS server.

:rolleyes:

As frank says, no you don't. I suppose indirectly by paying a subscription service to the isp, you are effectively paying to access their DNS, but that's _quite_ indirectly.

Gav

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭ando

I was always under the impression you were charged for addresses of DNS servers?

Was it done in the past ?

I was always under the impression you were charged for addresses of DNS servers?

Not as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by Frank_Grimes

Not as far as I know.
    Absolutely not..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

That has to be the most rediculous thing that anyone has ever suggested on boards. :P

Advertisement