Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with a friend

• 24-07-2002 12:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Some people probably have experienced this kind of thing before.
    When I was in scondary school, I was good friends with a particular guy. When we went to college, we both did the same course. As you've guessed, we've drifted apart since. The thing is should you make an effort to renew contact with an old friend or do you just simply leave it. I haven't actually talked to him in a month. One time there I took 3 lifts of him in one month and he kept bitching about how I was using him as a taxi service. Thats not an exaggeration. The annoying thing was he would be a right asshole to me and then turn around and be all sweetness to whoever walked into the room. He used to be a best friend of mine. Anyone in a similar situation, how did you resolve it? Good friends are hard to come by. However, given his attitude towards me now, I am tempted to just say "Screw him " and ignore him for the rest of college.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

people get new friends and lose old friends all the time.. i drifted apart from loads of people throughout college, never anyone in my own class/course though so thats a bit strange.. still these things are almost always two-sided, if you don't make an effort why the hell should he? .. so basically decide whether you want to... go out for a few drinks or something.. ye know talk, these things can easily be mended.. although it means beating your pride :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

^ what Kali said.

if it doesn't work, who cares?

I've a few really good friends that I don't have proper contact with for months at times. I'd like to think we still all get on really well - sometimes we do make the effort. About four of us were good friends in college. We've all only been in the same room twice in the past three years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

make an effort , good friends are very hard to come by .............................find out why he`s being so rude , maybe he wants to move on and break all contact from school friends and if this is the case let it go , some people like to completely make a new life in college , if its something to do with you personally , confront him , who knows maybe its just college pressure , if after you make the effort , he still wont give , just let him go , you dont need people especially those who you deem to be your fiends bitch*ng on you .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

either make the effort to see him or contact him and see how it goes.
    or.
    dont bother.

but if you dont bother, make sure you arent going to do what i do which is beat yourself up over not getting in touch with people and then feeling youve let them down. maintaining a friendship is hard work.
    and it takes an effort on both sides.
    only beat yourself up on those people you want to keep as friends, and then make the effort. otherwise, they arent friends, just people you remember fondly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Make an effort to keep as many friends as you can, even if some of them are moody ****s. You don't have to hang with them everyday to keep them as friends. Just keep in touch regularly.

In the time of a crisis friends can prove invaluable and you'd be surprised at the ones who turn out to be the most supportive at crunchtime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Benn thinking along those lines. I suppose it'd be best to give it one last shot rather than holding regrets about it. If it doesn't work out, its just part of life I suppose.

Advertisement