Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NT4 Workstation Question

• 24-07-2002 2:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

Started a new job a while back and I'm back using NT4 on a pretty restrictive network. After running redhat for 2 years on a similar network in a different area of my job, as you can gathered, I'm pretty pissed to say the least to be having to use nt4 :(

Firstly, one of the most annoying things about the setup is that the Run option has been removed from the user accounts :( Luckily enough I know the admin password, but really haven't enough knowledge of nt as I once thought I had.

My question is this ...

If I wish to ..

1. Have a run.. command option on my user account
    2. Be able to have full admin rights as my user

what exactly should I be doing on my pc. I've managed to set a local user with admin rights no bothers - but am stumped when it comes to setting up my domain user account as an admin with the above privileges.

Anyone care to give me a dig out ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Micko

Do you have the network administrator password?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Stinkah

I reckon I only have the workstation password... but am not too sure of how it works.

But what I do know is that the password is the administrator password for all workstations.

For example when I look with my user account to the LAN I will just the domain and enter my details. Whereas, when I am loggin in as the admin I will choose the workstation name as the domain and then enter details.

I really should know more about NT4 and Primary domain controller, but I honesty thought I'd never be using it again.... was hoping for unix position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Login as the local admin, run USER MANAGER (usrmgr.exe), open the administrators group and add your %domain%\%username% . This will give your account local admin rights.
    To get your Run command back the handiest way is to look for a file called POLEDIT.EXE from a Winnt CD. Load it up, import your registry and you'll find the tick box for the command restrictions. It can also be done via the registry but damned if I can remember where it is.

Advertisement