Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NT4 Workstation Question - from technology board

Options
  • 24-07-2002 2:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

Started a new job a while back and I'm back using NT4 on a pretty restrictive network. After running redhat for 2 years on a similar network in a different area of my job, as you can gathered, I'm pretty pissed to say the least to be having to use nt4

Firstly, one of the most annoying things about the setup is that the Run option has been removed from the user accounts Luckily enough I know the admin password, but really haven't enough knowledge of nt as I once thought I had.

My question is this ...

If I wish to ..

1. Have a run.. command option on my user account
    2. Be able to have full admin rights as my user

what exactly should I be doing on my pc. I've managed to set a local user with admin rights no bothers - but am stumped when it comes to setting up my domain user account as an admin with the above privileges.

Anyone care to give me a dig out ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Talk to your sys admin.
    We hate it when you Linux lads want to mess around with our boxes.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

The simpleist solution here is for you to keep the restricted domain account, but have an administrator level account on the local pc.

If you know the admin password, log onto the pc, and create a local account with admin priviliges. Use this to 'run' etc.

(That is assuming you are logging ono a domain, which is what i'm guessing fro the mail.)

X

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭ando

god i hate ppl like this that are always trying to break domain security :mad:

what happens if you f*ck up your machine.. who do you go crying to then ???

1 less lunch break for the sys admin

Exactly, if you needed that kind of permissions you would have been given them, period.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

heh... reminds me of my old job a couple of years ago. We had Windows 95, and it had policies up the wazoo. You couldn't do anything on the PC other than your job :)

Apart from the usual stuff ("run" option removed, control panel disabled etc.), were were also restricted to run certain programs, as definied in the policy. So, for example, you could run winword.exe, notepad.exe etc., but not textpad.exe (for instance).

Took me about 2 days after the lockdown to figure out that I could rename regedit.exe to notepad.exe and run it. As you can guess, this gave me alot more breathing room on the PC.

Locking down computers in a call center is one thing, but locking computers in an IT department full of computer-literate people is ridiculous.

- Dave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

in short no.
    i wouldnt give you a dig out.
    i hate people who bugger around with their systems. and you want to try and get domain admin as well?
    what for?
    what good will that do you?
    why dont you try doing some work, instead of annoying the admins by prícking around on their networks.

besides, unless you have network admin password, you get no network admin rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by TmB
    Locking down computers in a call center is one thing, but locking computers in an IT department full of computer-literate people is ridiculous

ah, I've had to many ppl thinking they knew everything about PC's only for it to end up with me.. alone... on a friday evening reinstalling the system

If I was going to tamper with something that could screw up the system completely, I'd take precautions against getting getting stuck between a rock and a hard place, e.g. I would always back files up, back the registry up etc. etc.

However, I haven't been in an locked-down environment for a few years now. Things are different these days with Windows 2000 around (Win95 was anything but secure).

Bottom line (and disclaimer) - "Don't try anything if you aren't 100% sure about it, and if you HAVE to try - take precautions."

(ass covered!) :p

Don't give these poor helpdesk boyos needless work to do.

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Stinkah

Omg, can you get down off your high horse.

Sure, that's what I want to do - "prick about"

If that's the way you guys see it fairy nuff.

I honestly don't blame you. - Your NT admins, you're meant to have to deal with "ppl like" me all the time.

I should really "do my job" and keep my head and not try to expand my knowledge in any other way.

That way I wouldn't be in danger of taking your jobs from you - not that I'd want to.

If I had have known this would have been such a bone of contention I certainly wouldn't have posted here.

/me back to linux :)

Touchy, aren't they? :D

- Dave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Good god lads.

Obviously you guys are the best NT admins in the world ever. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately a lot of people have to end up working on a network using computers set up by people <politically correct hat> a lot less 'cluefull'. </politically correct hat>

When you point out that a machine is having a problem they whip out the ol ghost image, "Dont worry im sure you had nothing important on there anyway, mwuahahahha"....ARGH!!.

Bottom line is some of us can do a better job managing our machine than you guys. We dont want admin on your network, we want admin on our local machine.

We wont install unreal tournament/quake though, we wouldnt want to come across your IT department server and interrupt you while your working.

<Note - This posting was sprinkled with large amounts of satire, anyone taking offense can take a hike> ;P

Originally posted by Snaga
    Good god lads.

Obviously you guys are the best NT admins in the world ever. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately a lot of people have to end up working on a network using computers set up by people <politically correct hat> a lot less 'cluefull'. </politically correct hat>

When you point out that a machine is having a problem they whip out the ol ghost image, "Dont worry im sure you had nothing important on there anyway, mwuahahahha"....ARGH!!.

Bottom line is some of us can do a better job managing our machine than you guys. We dont want admin on your network, we want admin on our local machine.

We wont install unreal tournament/quake though, we wouldnt want to come across your IT department server and interrupt you while your working.

<Note - This posting was sprinkled with large amounts of satire, anyone taking offense can take a hike> ;P

i have no problems with people having admin access to local machines. if i give it to them the first thing i will say is if you break it, its your own fault. if you lose a 6 month project becuase you wanted to play with your machine, dont point at me.

however, theres a huge difference between local admin rights and
    but am stumped when it comes to setting up my domain user account as an admin with the above privileges.

now to me, thats just plain stupid.
    someone who admits to not having great knowledge in windows networking.
    yeah, sure, id love that on my network. here, why dont you just go and change the passwords while youre abou it so no-one can do anything

you can break your machine.
    you touch my network, and i'll string you from a dizzy fúcking height and watch you kick...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

To be fair, I read the question as him wanting to set up his domain user account as a local administrator on his machine.

Given that he has local admin through a local account, this doesnt exactly make his machine any more or less damageable, except that it would be his everyday account which had admin privs, which might make mistakes a bit easier to make.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

Just load up user mananger when you are logged into the local administrator account. Then double click on the administrators group and select the domain user you want to give access to and add them to your local admins group and while your in there it might be an idea to remove the 'Domain Admins' global group and any other users you don't want in there.
    This is the easy bit....
    Now you're on your own. Anything goes wrong with your machine and then you can't really expect support from the admin people. I'm guessing that you used that special Linux boot disk to get your local admin rights too.

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan
    now to me, thats just plain stupid.
    someone who admits to not having great knowledge in windows networking.

Hahaha,

What a joker you are. Fairy nuff whitewash - you whitewashed me. I shouldn't even be able to use the internet- I'm such a clueless mother..

Ok the question wasn't phrased the best and I'll be first to admit it. But I'm bucked if I want admin rights on the bloody domain. They can keep that. Don't be such an anal twat. The question didn't exactly point out my level of knowledge of networking but where do you get off with this tripe .. Would you mind pointing out to me where exactly I admitted to
    not having great knowledge in windows networking.
    ????

With all due respect, I'm sure your the biggest and bestest NT admin in the whole wide world, but it doesn't give you the ability to tell how much or little knowledge I have of anything.

Don't get me wrong, the ultimate problem is the way I phrased the post and indeed the board I posted it to, but I shall repeat my earlier comments .. Omg, can you get down off your high horse.

And...
    I'm guessing that you used that special Linux boot disk to get your local admin rights too.

Good guess, but NO .... Some of the NT admins I have the absolute pleasure to work with actually, strangely enough if you were to ask Whitewashman, feel that I am competant enough to be given the admin password and am thrustworthy enough not to "prick around" with the machine I use :P

If you can't take the heat, get out of the bloody kitchen....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Hmmm, I already answered your question on the original thread on Tech btw.
    And lads stop being so goddamn pretentious.
    I remember well posts from a lot of the folks replying here (Admins too) asking about things I found scarey they didn't know but had access to/responsibility for as part of their jobs. Also if someone posts about getting through firewalls etc. we're all only too quick to point them in the right direction. But as soon as it can potentially link to our own experiences with fk-it-up users it's onto the high horses.
    Besides anything else he already had local admin and could destroy the machine if he wished. All he was asking for was a way to do whatever it was he wanted as a local admin (Which lets face it means installing your favourite apps or a game or 2...and which one of us hasn't at least tried that ;) ) without having to log off.

Methinks this has been blown way out of proportion.

You did too creed. fair play

Originally posted by Stinkah

Hahaha,

What a joker you are. Fairy nuff whitewash - you whitewashed me. I shouldn't even be able to use the internet- I'm such a clueless mother..

whatever, if you are that stupid, i wouldnt even give you a computer.

Ok the question wasn't phrased the best and I'll be first to admit it. But I'm bucked if I want admin rights on the bloody domain. They can keep that. Don't be such an anal twat. The question didn't exactly point out my level of knowledge of networking but where do you get off with this tripe .. Would you mind pointing out to me where exactly I admitted to ????

no problem....
    but really haven't enough knowledge of nt as I once thought I had

there you go.

With all due respect, I'm sure your the biggest and bestest NT admin in the whole wide world, but it doesn't give you the ability to tell how much or little knowledge I have of anything.

im sorry, i believe i just showed you where you admitted that you didnt know as much as you use to. shut up already

Don't get me wrong, the ultimate problem is the way I phrased the post and indeed the board I posted it to, but I shall repeat my earlier comments .. Omg, can you get down off your high horse.

sorry?
    do you actually have a point here?
    you posted a badly phrased question?
    and you tell me to get of my high horse.
    ok good buddy, tell you what, go and take out the network, and see what the network admin says when you admit that it was you. and see if my reaction is any different than his.
    go on, try it, i double dare you.

anyway, why do you want admin rights anyway?
    do some work will you.

now, stop being a self-righteous little clueless user, and get back to your work.

oh and one thing, just becuase you use redhat, does not make you automatically leet, cool, an OS rebel, or anything else that you may vaguely deem as sociably acceptable to the rest of the human race. the fact of the matter is you are trying to get admin rights where you are not suppose to have them.
    get over it.
    go home and try to grow a beard or something

/me puts on model worker's hat and gets back to work.

• Advertisement

/me puts on model worker's hat and gets back to work.

good boy

Advertisement