Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ripped off. Suggestions?

Options
  • 24-07-2002 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭

There is no "Consumer Rights" board here, so PI is the next best thing! :)

I'm getting ripped off by EMusic, and I want to know what I can do.

Heres the story.

In May, I subscribed to the free trial for EMusic.com (a music downloading site). Didn't like it, so I cancelled my subscription. I got an email from them to say "Sorry you cancelled your subscription, hope you come back soon" etc. etc.

A couple of weeks ago, I checked my credit card statement to see that they have taken $10 from my card. I mailed them nearly 2 weeks ago to politely ask them why they did this, seeing as I cancelled my sub, and I haven't heard back from them.

Checked my statement again this morning and they've taken another $10 (second month in a row).

I logged onto EMusic to cancel it (again), and the cancel sub page says "sorry... you are committed to a 1 year contract". So basically over the next year, I'm stuck with paying these **** $120.

I actually have the email from them saying "You have successfully cancelled your subscription", but they aren't answering my bloody emails.....

Any ideas? I bet if I rang them up, I'd be put on hold for a couple of hours (and they are based in America).......... I guess I have to try, though.......

Here is the mail I got from them when I cancelled:
    Dear EMusic Customer,

At your request, your FREE EMusic subscription has been canceled. Since you canceled during your trial period, your credit card will not be charged. If you later decide you would like to subscribe to one of our full subscription plans, simply go to http://www.emusic.com/ and follow the sign-up process to activate your membership. Please be aware that there is only one trial allowed per customer, so you are not eligible for another EMusic trial.

While we are disappointed that you decided not to subscribe at this time, we hope you enjoyed your trial and we appreciate your willingness to try EMusic. Remember that the MP3s you downloaded are yours to keep as our gift for trying the service.

We add thousands of new tracks from new labels and artists each and every month, as well as helpful new features. We hope you will check back on a regular basis as we continue to expand.

If you have any comments or suggestions as to how we can improve EMusic, we'd love to hear them. Simply email us at service@emusic.com. Thanks for test-driving EMusic.

-EMusic.com
    What consumer rights do I have in a situation like this (if any) ?

- Dave.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

would this not be best suited to Business/Economy ?

was there any small print that you didnt read?
    if they replied to you and stated that your subscription was cancelled then there shouldnt be a problem.

maybe it is just one of these sites on the net that have no intention of giving good customer support. they are just after your money. its a con.

is Emusic a well known site or did you just stumble across it while surfing the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Contact your credit card issuer asap about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Mods - feel free to move to Business/Economy. Sorry - never thought of posting there.

EMusic is fairly well known, yeah. They have legitimate ties with record companys to offer full albums for download. Maybe their customer support just sucks.

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Originally posted by BuffyBot
    Contact your credit card issuer asap about it.
    agreed.
    could some one clear this up for me. if you are a victim of fraud will the credit card company refund you the money taken from you ilegally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

nevermind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

As said already, contact your credit card company. They will refund you and get the money from the offending company. That is one of the joys of buying online with a credit card.

Thanks for your help, everyone......

- Dave.

[Update] - Contacted AIB Credit Card Center. They asked me to fax in the details (including the email from EMusic confirming cancellation of service). They're going to dispute the transactions.

End of story (hopefully).

Thanks again,
    Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Cant fault AIB in these kind of things.

Something similar happenned to me when regisitering and cancelling a domain name. They sorted it out for me when I gave them the sequence of events. Very helpful staff altogether :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Ahh yeah AIB normally quite good for disputing chages - hopefully they'll get it sorted :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement