Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Work (just had to do it)

• 18-05-2001 3:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭

Couldn't resist with all the other posts up smile.gif
    I apologise in advance.

I'm looking for work in Cork, I'm doing a Degree in Maths/ App. Maths/ Physics in UCC. I've experience in modelling (mathematical), electrical systems, electronics, and basically overseeing a network at small company (10 comps) level.

Anyone know of anyone hiring in Cork city itself??

On a completly unrelated topic, which is more employable? A degree in physics alone, or a joint honours in maths and applied maths??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nesf:

Anyone know of anyone hiring in Cork city itself??
    </font>

Try McDonalds
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    On a completly unrelated topic, which is more employable? A degree in physics alone, or a joint honours in maths and applied maths?? </font>

I'm no expert but I reckon joint in Maths and Applied Maths would get you a job in IT quicker than physics (of course you want to work in IT)

Although I'm probably wrong so queue flaming.

[This message has been edited by Evil Phil (edited 18-05-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Evil Phil:
    Try McDonalds</font>

Ahh phil, I was going to say that...

But seriously tho... dont go for anything network related if you only know how to manage 10 host networks. Try learning routers/bridges/repeaters etc then u might be able to get a job. As for the which is more employable - generally all companies are looking for now is a diploma or equivilent in computers with practical experience of the area. MCSE or Cisco is handy too. So youre over qualified! But on the upside, Tesco are always looking for bag packers and trolley collectors!

But for now, practice this line

"Would you like fries with that?"

[This message has been edited by rymus (edited 18-05-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

And, there i was applying to 4 star pizza smile.gif

I've no intention of working on a large network, my experience is far too limited. As for being over qualified, I must disagree, in Maths/app. Maths fields, a post-grad is normally a given.

Plus in an app. maths degree one learns how to "program" in Mathematica and Maple. V. useful for the above said modelling, which I'm primarily interested in.

Thanks anyway.

Advertisement