Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contracting

• 24-07-2002 11:53am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

LAds

Bit of advise, what would u say if u were offered a 6 month contract for 29 yoyos a hour??

I was on some site there and they reckon I would pull out 2700 euros a month, any ideas??

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

That doesn't add up. 29/hour = approx 4500/month.
    It depends on what you do. If your a programmer it's not much. Is it in Ireland? What will your overheads be - travel, accomodation etc.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

umm, after all the bells , tax, prsi, etc would land me that amount.

Programming alright - you reckon it is crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

it depends on a few things
    1) your level of experience. obviously if youve been programming in x,y,x for 25 years, you could command a lot more. if you are straight out of college, you get less. you get what you pay for essentially, and you get paid for what you know.

2)have you currently got a job and how much less (the idea that you would change jobs for less money is non negotiable) does it pay.

3)is it just a 6 month contract? what are the chance of further work, or a roll over contract.

4)what do the other contractors get paid there.

5)the state of the market. its about 21 or 22 irish pounds, which in itself is not too bad, no matter what way you look at it. what are the chances of getting paid more somewhere else in a market where the conditions seem to be that contracting is getting less favourable, and your skillset is not as good as others out there.

its easy to say that for a programmer thats not much, but when youre hungry, youre hungry, and knowing visual basic wont fill your little tumtum :)

also, is there any get out clause. if something else does come along, can you change. what penalties will you inccur?

what do you do now?
    are you full time or contracting now?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Programming for 5 years

Now: Sitting on my ring - not doing a sausage.

The prob is that there is a good gov job coming up in Sept but I cannot afford to do nothing.

Have not seen the contract at all.

I would have thought that may 34 yoyos an hour would be more the measure BUT since I am out of work then maybe I should not be fussy.

What do ye honestly think, should I get a kick up the ass!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭misterq

A bird in the hand and all that.
    You would need to weigh the benefits of waiting for a job that might come up in Spetember against what you would lose by possibly not working for the next 5 weeks.

A rough calculation, but the September job would have to pay about 6-7 euro more p/h to compensate for the wait.
    That doesn't take into account the risk factor...

The going rate is only applicable if there are other jobs going...

Ronan

• Advertisement

Originally posted by misterq

The going rate is only applicable if there are other jobs going...

that my friend, is probably the wisest thing i have head in a long time.

earning 29 euro an hour is a lot more than earning nothing.
    or the potential to earn more nothing in 5 weeks time.

On the head there lads, especially in these climes, nothing feckin happening so if they offer my finks i may jump, fingers crossed

lads thanks for yer help

no problem, just a subjective point of view

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

I haven't read this thread for a few days. I am contracting for 6 month's after being made redundant. Full time work usually includes pension, VHI etc. I am being paid more that when I was full time but when you look at the other beneefits I probably end up with less.
    With 5 years experience, 29/hour is not great. If you haven't been working for a while your TFA should be good so you shouldn't pay much tax. If you are declaring your own tax and VAT then start accumulating receipts, mobile phone bills etc. Get yourself a creative accountant. You'll need to set up as a Sole Trader and get yourself a Tax clearance Cert.

Advertisement