Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fab 50 2002

Options
  • 24-07-2002 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭

Is anyone else a reguar listener of Fanning's Fab 50? What do people think of having the chart in June instead of at Christmas? Sucks if you ask me...
    Maybe they are trying to ride the wave of Witnness when people are more in a musical groove in the summer etc etc. But it still sucks, Christmas just won't be the same. First Santy and now this, Christmas is ruined forever.
    :( :mad:

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Dave Fannings still alive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭deco

Alive and broadcasting from Outer Mongolia....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭artvandelay

Now we have nothing to do them few boring days before christmas. probaly stop showing willy wonka chocolate factory next !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Dave Fanning gets his hands on lots of great music all year round (be it Sessions/Demos from local acts or acts from around the world) and in fairness he plays a lot but everytime he has the Xmas top 50 the rundown is invariably the same as it was the year before. You can lead a horse to good tunes but you can't make it request them.

I haven't heard any of this 'summer' top 50 that you speak of but I'd bet a hundred euro that AT LEAST one third of it is made up of the following acts ... U2, REM, Smashing Pumpkins, The Beatles, Nirvana and Radiohead. It seems the people who vote in that poll stopped listening to music somewhere around June 1997 I'm afraid.

The masses have spoken!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

aw man , i used to love that at christmas , but i was well annoyed by u2 , grrr me not care much for the cut a their jib!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭deco

I think it's indicitive of the greatness of those bans more than people have stopped listening to music.

Also, considering the big bands of the moment are Limp Bizscut and Papa Roach, thats not exactly Dave Fannings sore audience....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Top 10 as follows

10 Strawberry Fields Forever
    09 Debaser
    08 Fake Plastic Trees
    07 Bad (Live)
    06 I Am The Resurrection
    05 One
    04 Bullet With Butterfly Wings
    03 Paranoid Android
    02 Smells Like Teen Spirit
    01 Creep

Predictable if nothing else, but it seems to have been a compilation Fab 50 from the past 10 years. I mean, as far as I can make out, there will still be one at Christmas. Maybe I am wrong, but thats what it seems. Anyway, people vote for it, its not as if he chooses it himself, [conspiracy] or does he [/conspiracy]. It was enjoyable anyway, even if the suspense these days is guessing what tracks will be where, rather than what tracks will be in it in the first place. The only alternative to moaning is to VOTE, come December.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Originally posted by Pigman
    It seems the people who vote in that poll stopped listening to music somewhere around June 1997 I'm afraid.

Thats because it stopped being any good after 1997.

True, there is little that could be expected to infiringe on the quality of that top 10 anyway, even if it is predictable, its still got class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Creep's probably an sxample of a song thats been done to death, but its still quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

i love creep, think its a great song for when your kinda just sitting around or something.

Originally posted by plastic membrane

Thats because it stopped being any good after 1997.

Not true. That's exactly like a 40 year old guy saying 'there's been no good music since 1977' as he dusts his vinyl collection of Led Zeppelin and Thin Lizzy.

There's no point mentioning particular bands because you're either of my opinion or not and me simply listing bands X,Y and Z isn't going to change opinions.

Much like me trying to convince the 40 year old LedZeppliner that Smashing Pumpkins are great it would be an equal waste of my time to try demonstrate to a Smashing Pumpkins fan of similar mindset that any new band that appeared on Fanning during the past 12 months are great because they have already reached the concrete opinion that music is not as good as whatever they were 'into' during their formative musical phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭buzzerbuckley

Nirvana smells like teen spirit,now thers a song.The kevin kilbane of alternative music.(crap and vastly overated).Should be an overated fabless 50.that would get my vote.piece of crap as some aul canadian once sang.followed closely by the drivel that is "wonderwall",a song for the peasants.Fanning himself is now a squad player with his show reduced by a third.Uaneen had a great show,then she sadly died too early.2fm mourned,but what did they do?axe her show and replace it with some clown putting on a false yank accent playing whitney houston station.great tribute.now fanning(who is admitly ovet the hill)show is been faded out.I think an evening at the crow.

Advertisement