Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Price Increase from Sept 1st

• 24-07-2002 5:28pm
    Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭

There is to be a price increase of €7.00 per month for subscribers of the full package on Sky Digital. This will bring the new monthly price from €53 to €60.

The reason that Sky give is that they have provided us with new channels such as RTE1, NET2, TnaG, and TV3. (Correct me if I am wrond but does this not mean that we are now been charged twice for the Rte channels.) Also they say that it is to bring our price level with those over in England. At the moment they pay £37stg monthly.

A bit unfair if you ask me as they recieve more for their money than we in the Rep of Ireland.Yet again another form of discrimination against us.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Where is this information coming from?

GB£37 = €58.48 today.

Where's the extra €1.50 coming from?

Again I harp on about the basic sky services being available in the UK and not here. Where are the series links on Sky One. Sky+ looks like it has been pushed out again and there is still no mirror subscription.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 unknown_a38

is the family pack going to go up too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭DaveH

I've only been with Sky since March, and they've said in my later since I havent subscrided for a year, they'll be charing me €53 until 25\3\2003. I was thinking of writing to sky, plus the BCI, about the fact that we pay a license fee for the RTE channels. Also NTL\Chorus can not charge us extra for the RTE channels. I dont mind the price increase too much, I just make out from the letter, that €3-€5 of that fee is going to RTE.
    Also I notice in the SKY magazine that they have advertised the All-Ireland hurling and Football Semi's on Channel 102(Network 2). Is this a sign that the GAA are finally letting RTE show the matches on SKY or is another mistake as per, the Interactive World Cup coverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Genghis

Thats fairly bad news. It is a rise of over 13%, and not justifiable on the grounds of bringing RTE to us, etc. It's not as if we can opt-out of getting them, and call me cynical, but surely the real motivation for Sky putting them there was to increase its penetration, not its revenue.

My contract expires in December, and I will take my own steps to keep it low (in other words unsubcribe some of the channels).

My only hope is that they will match the price increase with the introduction of ITV and Channel 4, and possibly the other BBC's. If that was the case €7 will be worth it.

I'd guess the Family Pack will go up again, too - add 13% and round up to find out, I'd say.

They are also cute in their timing - taking advantage of the Euro strenghtening to hide the fact that they have been doing very well for well over a year now. Also, with the government promising to bring them under regulation, they know that a pre-emptive strike on pricing now may well be their last chance to impose price changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

My contract expires in December also.
    If ITV/Channel 4 and Channel 5 don't appear by then, I'm stopping my subscription.
    Sky have been running their operation here in Ireland like a mortgage company.
    Remember last Easter bank holiday Monday when Sky tried to direct debit Irish subscriber accounts for their monthly fees.
    Obviously the banks servers were switched off it being a bank holiday, so no money was exchanged.
    By 18:00 that day they had switched off the packages of the people they couldn't debit (Including me).
    I had to wait 2 days to get it switched back on.
    Now they want more bloody money. They can whistle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

€7. those stupid pricks. how can the arrival of RTÉ and TV3 on Sky justify a €7 increase. for that increase i would expect Channel 4 and ITV to be included. why not introduce the mirror subscription, Sky+, even put BBC radio channels on the EPG. this increase sounds like a pocket lining excercise to me. it's all greed

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I saw the new pricing today at work and was unamused! :( Especially since I ordered Prem+ for €64 last night! Sky Movies World is up and costs more than Sky Sports World.

The Family Pack is going down a cent to €26.99 which is strange. I am wondering if it's a printing error. Must take a better look at the list tomorrow.

FilmFour is going up to €9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Thats some increase for a service inferior to our that of our british counterparts I like having sky but im not sure I like it that much.
    I think Im going to phone them in the morning to downgrade my package 69 euro just looks a bit to dear to me. Damn I was just starting to like filmfour I thinks sports can go too I usually end up in the boozer if it's anything worth watching.

Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

This is ridiculous.When we got sky the family pack was £13 punts a month i think.It then rose to £16-fair enough.Then it rose to the 27 euro we have now,about £21 punts.Which is a 7 punt a month price rise since we first got sky,which is quite hefty when you think thats £84 per year extra.They better not raise the family pack again:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Yep, I'll definitely be getting rid of the movie channels.

I hardly ever have the time to watch them, so it won't be a huge loss to me.

If they gave us ITV, channel 4,5 and the digital beebs I might reconsider, but it looks like it's not gonna happen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ssmith

I agree, i have just had an increase from last year (they waited for my first 12 months to pass though - bless them). I got rid of the movies to cover that increase, and i will now get rid of the sports channels as well - if only we had a half decent Irish alternative! :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭dmeehan

i had gotten rid of the moview already
    and i dumped the sports for the summer, i'll have to see now if i get the sports back or not.
    i might just get skysports1 as i never watch 2 or 3, but then i will miss my skysports extra :-(

descisions, descisions

Irishbyte, you mention getting premiership plus for €64. As football is 90% of what I watch on SkySports, I was wondering if it is possible to sign up to premiership plus without SkySports. I suspect the answer might be no. But what happens if you sign up to Premiership Plus while on Skysports, and then a couple of months down the line cancel Skysports - do you lose your €64 or can you still watch?

I am seriously considering downgrading - afaics the movies are nothing much when you subscribe over a long period (I think I'll scream if I look at the EPG and learn that the Whole Nine Yards or the Bonecatcher is on again). If I could get Family Pack, with Premiership Plus, with a plan to upgrade to movies one month in three, I think I'd be happy (and richer).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hi Ghenghis,

Yes, you can.. There's an add somewhere in this months magazine along the lines of:
    64 euro if you're a Sky Sports subscriber, and 160 euro if you're not..

So if you stop being a Sky Sports subscriber, I wonder do they back charge you the additional €96?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

I got the corporate letter also telling me they were doing me a favour by holding the price increases until next year (that was 2001) as I had only just subscribed.And now I see theyre doing it again,fk that. I dumped skey exactly 12 months after the subscription and would advise everybody to do same.Get a bbc card, you miss nothing and gain CH4..
    Arent Sky looking for more bad publicity? Someone should point this info to a journalist or whoever is in control of business practices.Theyre taking the piss too far this time.

Unregulated Monopoly:mad: who can actually do what they like as the government snore loudly on the issue.
    They wouldn't be doing this if it meant people would move to the competition...:mad:
    But do this British company really think paddy is an eejit???
    I kept the movies....against my better judgement...they are going now....
    mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭jez

Anyone know what the Sky Sports World price will be. Its currently €45 . Maybe its finally time to downgrade to Family Pack.
    At least you would still get Sky Sports News Channel(i.e. soccer Saturday etc thru the season),and British Eurosport. Do we really need to see all the matches Sky show. We'll have Champions League on TV3 and UTV plus The Premiership etc.. Odd Man Utd game can be watched down the Pub!! Is this a good idea or am I just being too mean!! After all we only live once .Wot do u all think...

we only live once:D :D:D
    Sky's fat cats are already living it up with the windfall they have been getting from the rise of the Euro against sterling.
    Since they converted the subs last January, it has risen by at least 4p which multiplied by 250,000 subscribers runs into hundreds of thounds of pounds sterling already!

Now in a supremely foul stenching swoop, they intend to recoup, from our Irish pockets the money they paid the FAI for our football matches.

It's high time that they were regulated:mad: so they can't keep treating Paddy like they are, and that they give us an equivalent service to the UK.
    mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 philipe

It seems that the GAA will be live from Saturday as it is on the N2 tv guide on EPG

• Advertisement

I think you are right Madman.
    The 7.5 million over 4 years will easily be recouped with the €7.00 per month extra that the victims of Sky hype will pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭sayireland

Where can we see the new official prices for the the various main packages?

Will the installation cost go up as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭tombenjr

Hi
    I noticed in the last few posts
    that people are going to downgrade
    their Sky Package cos of the price increase.
    I thimk that is foolish because lets face it
    Sky is far better than NTL and
    Crappus Chorus.So Sky went up by 13%
    but don't forget that the VHI Insurance are going up
    by another 9% and the ESB is going up 15%
    s let face it as everything in Ireland is going up and
    the inflation is also going up so don't take it out
    on Sky as they have reasons like (paying RTE to come on).
    And I am happy to give Murdoch my €69 per month
    because t service is brillant and it also helps football
    unlike ITV Digital and it cares for customers unlike
    Chorus

VHI Insurance are going up by another 9% and the ESB is going up 15%
    Its not the fact that they are increasing the price, its the reasons they gave for doing it.
    RTE /TV3 coming onto Sky??
    What a load of cack.
    RTE /TV3 coming onto Sky has increased the uptake of Sky in Ireland by a huge amount. I would reckon that by Christmas there will be 300,000 subscribers in the South.
    No it's pure and simple greed. I'm jumping ship in December if ITV/Channel 4 don't appear.

Originally posted by philipe
    It seems that the GAA will be live from Saturday as it is on the N2 tv guide on EPG

let's hope it doesn't change like it did before.

after a few minutes thinking time today, the film channels are being dropped

byte

Originally posted by Genghis
    So if you stop being a Sky Sports subscriber, I wonder do they back charge you the additional €96?

No I don't think so. I asked this when I ordered and she said it would be OK but it would be cut off if I cancelled my sky subscription altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

I had been thinking of cancelling the film channels for the last few months, but had never bothered, 10 minutes after that letter arrived I made the call, using RTE as the excuse was just pushing things too far, especially as the family pack which contains RTE is not increasing.
    I can just imagine the response from British subscribers if they told they would have to pay extra for BBC/ITV.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I can't see how the inclusion of RTE/TV3 has cost sky money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭ixtlan

Not defending Sky... heaven forbid... but I guess you can look at it this way....

We all thought RTE/TV3 had pulled off a great coup by getting onto Sky without paying any money... Remember Sky are after all supplying a service to them (as well as to themselves)

Now, they are going to make us pay...

I think I'll mail Chorus and ask when they will have digital TV and internet access in my area (suburban Cork ...Douglas) . They told me it would be here 2.5 years ago, so maybe it must be due soon, but I don't have much confidence.

It's a sad case of the incompetents (Chorus) versus the greedy corporation (Sky).... Unfortunately competence usually wins...

Ix

Tip no.1 - Don't mail Chorus - you are unlikely to get a reply - phone them instead.

Tip no.2 - Check out ODTR's website to find out details of when Chorus promised digital in your area. It is in the document they submitted at the end of last year in regard to a price rise.

Tip no.3 - Don't hold your breath!

You still have to hand it to Sky service-wise - They are the only ones to go for if you want Digital TV. If they just got the channel line-up sorted, now ...

BTW someone mentioned the GAA on N2 at the weekend. It may well have been on the EPG earlier in the week, but on both Saturday and Sunday it was off digital. Despite seeing the feature in the Sky magazine, I very much doubt we will see the all-Irelands on Sky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭ixtlan

You are right about the e-mail versus phone, but I can't deal with the frustration of speaking to them in person.

With e-mail you can just keep sending the mesage til they reply. 2 years ago when asking about the digital rollout, it only took 11 e-mails to trigger a response....

Things don't seem any better these days. I shudder and laugh reading the "Chorus Digital: Should I be afraid ?" thread in the Chorus/NTL section

Ix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Dreed700

Please,

I know I am a sky-dummy, but my magazine this month says keep up to date with all GAA coverage on N2, hurahh says I no more blank screen on a Sunday. No more fiddling with the Rabbits ears to tune into Croke Park and other such splendid venues. My arse in a burger bap !!! it does not happen instead when I returned home after trecking to Thurles (and we were hammered). I turn on my VCR to see where we went wrong (some might say ..turning up) and what am I presented with a blue screen is what !!!!. NO GAA coverage, now I know some may say that is better than watching Kildare play, can somebody please tell me WTF is going on, why do we have no GAA coverage.. or am I doing something wrong here. Also why have they put Setanta on 435 is this just to annoy us ?

Please somebody wise reveal all

Originally posted by Dreed700
    why do we have no GAA coverage.. or am I doing something wrong here. Also why have they put Setanta on 435 is this just to annoy us ?

it has been mentioned here before that Setanta own satellite rights to GAA coverage but are we even allowed to book on Setanta in this country. if we were i don't think RTÉ would be happy but who'd be stupid enough to book it here anyway. it all boils down to money. the GAA are afraid of people in Britain watching GAA on Network 2 so we suffer with analogue viewing because of it.

Setanta was put on our EPG for Celtic games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Dumb question perhaps so apologies if it is.

We're getting Sky in soon. If we get it in before the end of August, will we be charged the increase in Spptember or will the increase wait 12 months?

just got my sky mag yesterday
    the cover letter informed me that my current sky package would not be increasing.
    i currently have the sky family pack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

We got the mag yesterday too. They said that because we had signed up less that 12 months ago, the price increase wouldn't affect us until November. We've got the regular package, plus movies and sports.

- Dave.

• Advertisement

oh maybe thats the same for me, i signed up last novemebr too

next time i'll read past the headline!
    ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Canadian

I downgraded last night from the whole shootin-match to the 27 EUR family package.

It took a VERY LONG TIME. I had to wade thru the automated system, speak to someone in accounts and then to my 'Program Advisor' very much from Scotland.

10 minutes of trying to suggest that my life would never be the same without my Disney Bonus channels, she finally relented and downgraded me to the 26.99 package.

I can't say I understand their pricing scheme, but it reminds me of airline tickets. I'm happier now in economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Leesider

I finally downgraded as well today.
    It only took a few minutes - the girl asked for my reasons for doing so, and I said it was 'too expensive', and I also got fed up of waiting for ITV/C4. She offered me contact numbers for ITV/C4 in case I wanted to call them myself, but I declined.

I actually feel better now, not having to shell out €60 a month, for movie channels that I never watched anyway.

I seem to have my BBC Scotland card in use significantly more than my 'Irish' card these days.

Following todays announcement that BBC Scotland are going to show 38 SPL games (Sunday afternoons), I was delighted. Free viewing of Celtic for the season.

The 4 'Old Firm' games will be screened live on ALL BBC1 regions, which is good news.

Originally posted by Leesider
    The 4 'Old Firm' games will be screened live on ALL BBC1 regions, which is good news.

it's better than nothing at all as some would say. now to get a BBC Scotland card :(

byte

Is there a BBC2 Scotland region on Sky? Pity the SPL games weren't on it if so as then people in rest of UK would have a choice to view them

Or will Setanta hold PPV rights for rest of UK? If this is so, it's strange how BBC have no probs showing programming for free whilst Setanta charge PPV BUT RTE (unavaible to ANY part of UK) cannot show GAA coz of Setanta whinging... :mad:

• Advertisement

Originally posted by irishbyte
    Is there a BBC2 Scotland region on Sky? Pity the SPL games weren't on it if so as then people in rest of UK would have a choice to view them
    it wouldn't have made a difference because people on forums always commented on how BBC Scotland blocked sport to everyone outside of Scotland
    Or will Setanta hold PPV rights for rest of UK? If this is so, it's strange how BBC have no probs showing programming for free whilst Setanta charge PPV BUT RTE (unavaible to ANY part of UK) cannot show GAA coz of Setanta whinging... :mad:

that is because they wouldn't get away with it over there.

it would be nice if TG4 got the rights to Celtic games in the SPL :) dream on methinks :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

BUT RTE (unavaible to ANY part of UK) cannot show GAA coz of Setanta whinging... :mad:
    They can't, because the GAA gave Setanta exclusive rights to broadcast. Why wouldn't Setanta whinge?

byte

Originally posted by Mountjoy Mugger

They can't, because the GAA gave Setanta exclusive rights to broadcast. Why wouldn't Setanta whinge?

Oh so Setanta have exclusive satellite rights? Including Ireland? Bit of a disaster considering we don't use the Setanta service. :(

Oh and it'd be nice if TG4 got rights for the games. Heck even RTE/TV3 could try for it. :D

is there any webpage showing the new pricing structure for sky packages?
    i want to get sports 1 back when i come back from hols
    i had all the sports last year but i NEVER watched 2 or 3, i just paid for them coz i wanted ss extra

i think i can do without this time

Advertisement