Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Internet Help..

• 24-07-2002 5:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi all. I'm a developer moving to Ireland in the next few months. I currently have broadband internet installed. An always on, 512k for the equivalent of about 45 euros a month.

I've been trying to find similar in Ireland. The only company I come across is eircom and it's so expensive. The also have a 3Gb monthly allowance and you are charged for every mb you transfer over that.

Can anyone point me in the direction of any other companies, or will I have to bite the bullet and pay for eircoms services?

I'll be moving to Co. Wicklow if this makes any distance. The Bray/Enniskerry end..

Thanks in advance Em

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

I suppose you're moving over from England. If you thought it was bad there you ain't seen nothing yet. In selected areas of Dublin there is the possibility of getting ADSL and yes the price is non negotiable, there isn't any other ADSL provider for any cheaper really.

You say you're moving to Wicklow so the closer you are to Dublin the better I'm not sure about coverage in Wicklow but I wouldn't be holding my breath. There are other options, satellite access. But if you wanted to upload stuff you'd have to use a modem, only good for fast downloads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭edove

I thought you'd say that.. though I was hoping you wouldn't. Yeah moving over from England. At least apartments are cheaper to rent so I can spend what I'll save on broadband (eek!)

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭pertinax

chorus are cobbling out some cable, hence my kilkenny cable trial but i dont think there doing it in wicklow. clonmel and maybe carlow or laois might be other places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Try tallaght for ntl cable or try the dundrum area. i think you can get both eircom adsl there and ntl cable. Woudlnt be too bad at all.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

AFAIK you can get NTL cable if you're not in the upgraded 2 way system aswell, but it costs an extra €5 on the modem rentings, ie. €45 a month

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

http://www.irishwan.org

There's a Dublin WAN afaik, maybe a wicklow one too.

The initial outlay might be abit expensive, but there's the benefit of practicly being on a lan with people.
    Plenty of scope for fun :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

I suggest you head in the direction of Irelandoffline.
    Trust me,if you wanted to become a developer,you should've stayed in the country your currently in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by OJ
    AFAIK you can get NTL cable if you're not in the upgraded 2 way system aswell, but it costs an extra €5 on the modem rentings, ie. €45 a month

No you cant. You cannot use thier cable modem service unless you are in an upgraded 2 way area. The only areas they have upgraded so far are Tallaght, parts of Rathfarnam and Tempelogue.

In repsonse to the original question. Sorry mate, but i think your S.O.L :(
    I cant think of any service bar Satellite that will give you broaband in Enniscorthy. You can get ISDN there, the rental isnt much dearer than normal PSTN, but you will pay for call charges. At the moment there is NO flat rate service of any type for ISDN.

Welcome to Ireland.

(for more info, have a look at www.irelandoffline.org and its forums are on this board, under Community>Public>Ireland Offline )

PS Gerry or Kali, some of the guys on Ioffl might know of some solution in that area (but i doubt it) if you wanted to move it in there.

Ok so are you telling me that I may be totally buggered and I may not be able to get any hi speed internet service in that area?.. I was just going through the eircom site again and found some more small print that said i-stream was only available in Dublin!...

So what do you guys use..?

• Advertisement

Just called eircom and they do cover the Bray/Enniskerry area.. I can get an ISDN service, or ADSL .. expensive but if that's all there is..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

So what do you guys use..?
    at home i use my exceptionaly fast high speed..... wait for it... top of the range 56k modem.
    before your jaw drops to the ground in disbelief, yes Ireland is a backward country when it comes to providing high speed internet access.

when at work/college i get to use an extremly fast connection :D

hardly ever go online at home, its a waste of time and money.

damn money grabbing Eircom

fair enough.. I don't have a choice about going online though unfortunately :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by edove
    Just called eircom and they do cover the Bray/Enniskerry area.. I can get an ISDN service, or ADSL .. expensive but if that's all there is..

Sorry mate, I misread your post and thought you said Enniscorthy (in which case you were buggered;) )

Im on the eircom DSL service and although the charge is an arm and a leg, theres no contention issues whatsoever due to noone willing to sacrifice their first born to get online.

Advertisement