Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hostile Thread Ahoy - TV Going Dwn The Potty!?

• 24-07-2002 6:06pm
    Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭

TV Today - Going Down The Potty!?

[rant]
    It would seem that, these days, advertisers are hooked on the idea of Transvestite Cows promoting their damn crap products...
    Not only were Kellog's Cereal Bars advertised with the use of Uder the Cow, the new drink 'Smooth ' n ' Juicy' has Smoothy the cow - Both are transvestites...
    THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A ****ING MALE COW YOU DUMB ASS ****S!
    It's sick actually - both of them clearly have udders, hence they are either transvestites or have, at some point in life, been forced to have sex changes before being put on the screen.

Big Brother is almost everywhere!
    You cannot escape it - You'll either encounter it countless ammounts of times on the TV, or you'll find painfully boring articles about it in the papers or hear about how so and so done this that and the other in the house on the news... Who ****ing cares... I have the satisfaction of watching my OWN life, never mind someone elses. The last thing I want to see on the television at 5:30am after a long boring day / night being my plain boring self, are a collection of tossers sleeping!
    What a waste of space!

New shows being created these days are almost always based on sex... "Is Harry On The Boat" (Which isn't that bad actually), "Sex In The City", "The REAL Sex In The City", "[Insert random part of the universe here] Uncovered", "Undressed, "Dismissed"etc etc etc - Thank you TV for pointing out that the human race is solely comprised of sexually depraved little **** that have nothing better to do than look at a collection of tarts, sluts, whores and prostitutes that love to show off how many people of the opposite sex they can sleep with in one ****ing show.

Game shows to-date are pure and utter PARP!
    "This is 'Dirty Money' the game where playing fair gets you no where..."
    THATS REALLY ****ING INTERESTING! I think the mildly psychotic creators of that damn show forgot to mention in the advert that it's the most boring thing created since someone thought up the idea of watching paint dry - And thats an insult to flakey paint!
    To top it all off, the immensely annoying show has been gifted with an even more annoying host - Whatever ****ing accent he has, it cuts through my brain like a paper cut, and he's been given the chance to spread his annoying vocal talents, supplied by his deformed vocal chords, on Big Brother as well... How can any one watch that blasphemous pile of dog toffee? All I'll say is that anyone who can sit through more than two minutes of that trollop, or even the advert, deserves to be beat to death with their own kidneys...

Shows that used to be at least half decent have diminished into dribbling piles of ****ness.
    X-Files may as well be branded as a comedy now. Did anyone see that one particular show where some film making **** head wanted to make a movie using Mulder and Scully as the main characters... Can you say "SHIZNIT!?" - What happened to the good old days when that show had some seriously well thought out idea's, story lines, wonderful mysteries and characters? Chris Carter must be ****ing desperate these days if he can ALLOW that once 'good' show to degrade into that crap!
    Ally McBeal used to tickle my ribs back in the old days, and then it metamorphed into a Dawson's Creek type show, brimming with moral values and painfully unfunny watered down relashionship tormoils and trollop.
    Im not a fan of wrestling, but I bet even THAT has gotten worse over the course of time!

With the apparant success of the Spider-Man movie (Which I have not, and will not go to see) TV producers have decided to flood our screens with comic related ****E! Smallville (I haven't watched one of it's shows in full, so I wont slate too much because there's a very slim that chance it might be ok - And it does have it's own board, so I guess that says something) - Batman the caped ****ing crusader (It's STILL on Den2, and they simply wont get rid of it - Even kids aren't zombified enough to be tricked into watching that garbage) - Batman, the animation (Which I used to like - But now that they keep on repeating the stuff I turn the TV channel on sight!), and all Comic related movies from the past are sure to be shown over and over again at some stage - the list goes on.

Im sure you will all agree with me that "The Simpsons" remain as one of the best animations ever to have graced our televisions, yet even that show is running the risk of being overplayed - Repeats... Repeats... Repeats... Repeats... Oh, and guess what, it gets repeated even more - I can sit through endless ammounts of the show, provided that at least ONE of them that gets put on is one I haven't seen before, but that rarely happens these days...

I could go on some more and rant, and then moan, and after that go all out ****ing ****ish about the state of TV today, but I wont - It would seem that the majority of people here on Boards these days don't like it when I congest the entire site with pages apon pages of negative comments, and I know half of the people who visit this thread wont read half of what I have to say anyway.
    So I'll end this rant right now before I go nuts, and simply leave with with my Final Thought...

*ahem*
    "**** OFF TELEVISION, FOR YOU ARE NOTHING BUT A BORING LITTLE GREEN GOBLIN THAT I HOPE TO FIND SMEARED ON ON THE SOLE OF MY BOOT, AND AS FOR YOU TV PRODUCERS, YOU CAN GO AND CRAWL BACK UP YOUR OWN ASSES AND THINK UP NEW METHODS OF GROWING A MORE EFFECIENT BRAIN BECAUSE, BY GOD, YOU ALL BLOODY NEED ONE..."

I will now depart the building, and exhault my frustrations on any nearby pillows... Good day to you all...[/rant]

PS. Jackass and The Osbournes are acceptable, and I will not be executing THEIR producers...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

Paritculaly agree with the X Files rant.It was a deadly programme until about 1995.Then Mulder stopped believing in aliens for a time if i remember rightly,which was a BAD move.It was great in the early 90s but nowadays its a ****ing joke!In the old days theyd go out to nowheresville USA,investigate a pile oif murders connected to UFOs,would encounter them on a lonely forest road,and t would make a great episode.Nowadays its a pile of unconnected ****e,with no running storylines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭BKtje

Im not a fan of wrestling, but I bet even THAT has gotten worse over the course of time!

Your right it has. I watched it for about a year then it just became so bad and broing that i decided to ignore it.

I agree with all the shows you mentioned , however there are some shows i still enjoy watching.

Scrubs was good fun, the series is over now tho.

Six Feet Under i thoroughly enjoy. Its kinda a mix of lots of type of shows but it very funny at times.

The new Star Trek and Andrommeda i both enjoy as well tho that might in part be contributed to me being a sci-fi fan and not much other sci-f worth watching.

Overall a lot of TV shows are allowed to run on too long and in the end kill themselves. Futurama was stopped when it was still funny and i think it saved the show for me.

I only watch the above shows these days or the oddfilm but even a good one of them is ahrd to come by now on tv if you dont have sky movies. (even sky movies only show a good one now and then ;) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

[radical suggestion] Perhaps you may want to consider just not looking at any of these programs or TV at all? [/radical suggestion] :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Originally posted by RopeDrink

[rant]
    It would seem that, these days, advertisers are hooked on the idea of Transvestite Cows promoting their damn crap products...
    Not only were Kellog's Cereal Bars advertised with the use of Uder the Cow, the new drink 'Smooth ' n ' Juicy' has Smoothy the cow - Both are transvestites...
    THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A ****ING MALE COW YOU DUMB ASS ****S!
    It's sick actually - both of them clearly have udders, hence they are either transvestites or have, at some point in life, been forced to have sex changes before being put on the screen.

Yeah I noticed that one too but I think the sight of a bull fcuking the hell out of an orange would have been even more disturbing. Don't you?

Key to making a tv show you'll always love is to never make more than five series and to only repeat the show about once every 5 years.

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Buffybot, I must stress the fact that TV is one immensely large part of Human Life. I'm content with spending days, even weeks, cooped up in my little room staring at a PC Monitor until the point where I forget that TV existed, but when I eventually get the need to feed, and come across a TV screen, painful realisation of how **** TV can be hits me like a speeding barrell of transvestite advertisement cows strapped on the back of a high velocity Cinema screen showing ****ty X-Files and Sex Orientated Garbage on it...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

TV has been going down the pan for years now, if it was'nt for the fact I'm paying for this by the minute I'd never log-off!

On the box only a few programmes really demand my time -
    and they tend to be documentarys, stuff like Simon Scharmas
    History of Britain or the Channel 4 prog on Barbarians. TV still does that sort of thing well so I watch but otherwise its mainly soap/medics and real life (but not as we know it). I'm not interested. Oh yes Malcom in the Middle rocks as does
    King of the Hill and a few others but otherwise...

Mike.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I dont pay for this by the minute or by the *anything* now.
    Whats TV again?

The irony is that the only thing I watched on TV religiously recently was Scrubs (which is just as funny as *fúck*).

So I downloaded all the episodes.

Makes you think dont it.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭pertinax

The only thing on tv at the moment that ill make a point of watching is six feet under, but any ould documentary on vikings or whatever i usually watch too.
    yes tv has gone down the drain but thats my i love my computer.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

"what is tv" is exactley right. I havnt even heard of half of the shows out there today...I did however hear of scrubs and it sounded like a good show, /me wipes tear away
    ahh well, tv will always be there...the missed experiences wont.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

PS. Jackass and The Osbournes are acceptable, and I will not be executing THEIR producers...

Frankly, I quite disagree with this.
    While the ASS is always funny, Ozzy should be shot for that stupid show.

I mean, the amount of people that Ozzy's music has touched people all over the world quite deeply, but this TV show? Who is it making an infuence on? Who is taking it to heart? Who is getting deeply affected by it?

But other than that... I find it very dull, and quite ****. Personally, I am the only one who hates that idiot son with a passion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Mikill

Originally posted by AngelWhore

Personally, I am the only one who hates that idiot son with a passion?

I just wanna say i totally agree with you AngelWhore.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

do not get me started on their idiot son ,,,,,oh man , if he`s not the most annoying little sh*t , jesus christ , !!!!!!!!!grrr

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭pertinax

what about the daughter whoever made her face dished out too many chins and cheek bones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

there is still some good left out there. south park, family guy, malcom in the middle, a new series of alan partridge(soon), scrubs, the simpsons, fat babies on jenny jones(ok scrub that last one), spring to mind. but the rest of it is tripe. damn i want digital with its 80's animation bits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

family guy

AMEN! , Still funny as the first series, Gawd, that has to be the only other really good animated comedy that has replaced the Simpsons repeats.

As for 6 feet under, well...maybe its just for intelligent ppl but.. Idont get it! I rather go off to the pub and hear a few more jokes of the barman Eamon..Soz..my opinien so **** u if u dont agree :P

As for Big brother, maybe if they tied up jane and forced her to shut up under penalty of being stoned to death by throwing Gerbils it may still be watchable but they are only milking it at this point.

As Don Syxpak would Say
    Dibh Eacks!
    only friend you'll need :D
    Well......that is if u have discovered what a rubber glove, Towel and elastic band can be made up to resemble :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Sorry rope, thats utter ****e.
    Could you be any more skewed? If you want to sit down and watch programmes aimed at the lowest common denominator then fine, but dont complain that their crap.
    [rant]
    They are Ads. You dont have to like, you just have to buy the product or not.
    Big Brother is almost everywhere!
    Hmm, unless you have e4 which is a cable channel, its only on about twice a day.

New shows being created these days are almost always based on sex... "Is Harry On The Boat" (Which isn't that bad actually), "Sex In The City", "The REAL Sex In The City", "[Insert random part of the universe here] Uncovered", "Undressed, "Dismissed"etc etc etc - Thank you TV for pointing out that the human race is solely comprised of sexually depraved little **** that have nothing better to do than look at a collection of tarts, sluts, whores and prostitutes that love to show off how many people of the opposite sex they can sleep with in one ****ing show.

Hey, its not our fault your watching rubbish television. What about The Sopranos, 24, Blue Planet, Six Feet Under and countless other good programmes and documentaries that make TV worth watching. The above examples come from Sky and MTV.
    For gods sake, what do you expect? If you want to watch programmes made for the lowest common denominator, then fine watch them, but dont complain that they arent stimulating you.
    You say that Undressed (a pointless and inane programme about people having sex) is crap. Yet you praise Jackass (a pointless and inane programme about people hurting themselves). Sure, jackass is funnier, but neither of them are going to raise your cultural awareness in any way.

Your taking the piss now. Wrestling was always crap. Kids stuff on Den TV was always for the young (mind you agree with you that the batman cartoons are good:) ). Are you going to complain that Playschool has lost its edge next?

I have to disagree about the simpsons btw, I think that has become slightly stale and groening should have stuck to his guns about cancelling it before it becomes a parody of itself.
    AND AS FOR YOU TV PRODUCERS, YOU CAN GO AND CRAWL BACK UP YOUR OWN ASSES AND THINK UP NEW METHODS OF GROWING A MORE EFFECIENT BRAIN BECAUSE, BY GOD, YOU ALL BLOODY NEED ONE

They dont have to. People watch what they make. They will contniue to make any piece of crap/work of art for as long as the ratings demand they must keep making it.

Do you really think the director of Live at 3 WANTS to make it?

edit: accidently deleted a large part of my own rant, cant be arsed reposting, you get the gist:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

TV is politically correct crap and has been from many many years, its just a ****ing shame that the bad programs annoy us so much that we forget what good **** is there, but at the moments its a lack of new programs thats ruining it, the golden age of adult cartoons may be over...simpsons to southpark to family guy to futurama...whats next.....its the same for a lot of genres but as long as i have the history channel , discovery and MTV im sorted!

btw; if they cancle Diagnosis Murder i'll kill them all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

Y'know what I hate?! Peole going "Oh! Watch this ad! I love this ad it's gas!", or something like that. It's really gotten to the stage where one ad can be more entertaining than a whole program!

That thing with the cows pisses me off too! And I refuse to watch any show where the title ends in "uncovered" or "uncut"!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

[rant]
    New shows being created these days are almost always based on sex...

99% of television is sex and it has always been this way.
    Can you think of anything more interesting then sex?
    If you dont like it, then i suggest not watching TV at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by Puck

That thing with the cows pisses me off too! And I refuse to watch any show where the title ends in "uncovered" or "uncut"!:mad:

I thought the original Ibiza Uncovered had merit actually. It documented a cultural phenomonen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Originally posted by Dustaz
    I thought the original Ibiza Uncovered had merit actually. It documented a cultural phenomonen.
    thats true. the original was great. it was totaly new and caught people by surprise. whats next, Naas Uncovered followed by Naas Uncut :rolleyes:

i agree with ropedrink, there is way too much garbage on tv these days. some shows are getting repeated way too much (Batman, Simpsons etc).

But as all ready mention there are some very good shows out there to try and even the the balance out, Scrubs and 24.

its impossible for a tv network to put on great shows 24/7.

what i really hate on tv is the ads for loans. there are so many of them on tv now, especially on sky. does any one here ever watch the channel Trouble on sky. apart from it repeating old shows constantly all it shows during the ad break is ads for loans and for cars. as if young people are not in enough debt these companies are placing constant ads to practically brainwash young people in to getting loans.

thats my 2 cent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Hey, watch what you like, and if you don't like it turn it off. Chances are you've a remote with an 'off' button, if not there's one on the telly.

I can't stand people (members off my own family included) who sit in front of the telly with a remote in theirs hands saying 'This is ****e'

Get a life. The first step: Turn the TV off.

ARRGHHH

BTW I do watch a fair bit myself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Originally posted by Rabies

thats true. the original was great. it was totaly new and caught people by surprise. whats next, Nass Uncovered followed by Nass Uncut :rolleyes:

It's NAAS ;)

Though I agree with Dustaz - the original Ibiza Uncovered was alright, but really in a typical fashion, they've milked it to death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭darthmise

Oh For ****s Sake!!!

Consider it a favour theres nothing on. Otherwise you'd brobably sit it front of the idiot box all day long.

I wouldn't mind but the things you listed are either ads or the lowest form of TV shows around. I'm surprised you didn't give out about how Gerry Springer used to be special, but not anymore.

Read a book. Christ.

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

*sigh*.

As I have said, I am not a hardcore fanatic of the thing known as television, yet when I come across one it is usually infested with ****e.
    I am also quite aware of the very rare "Good Things On The TV" yet Im not ranting about them, I'm ranting about what seems to be all over the TV all the time, and happens to be (In my eyes at least) ****e for a few specific reasons.

The last time I checked, Im sure there was an Off Button on my remote, but I'm never around long enough to botherpressing one because I have a habit of retreating to my room, or outside, or to the pub, or a club, or anywhere else bar the front room.

Get a life you say!?
    I have one thank you very much, and I also have a point to make.
    Someone who can go on and on about how GOOD TV is needs a life more than someone who can pinpoint the bad things about it...

Advertisement