Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible dublin broadband

Options
  • 24-07-2002 5:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

I called Beam Solutions last week so I could have a statement for the AGM. They have not replied my call.

However, not to worry all is not lost. I have another company about to reveal themselves, in the coming days. The service offering is as follows:

Prices for residential is set at €40 for a 512kbps full duplex
    connection with a contention of 8:1 maximum.

They are considering a gamers connection for €70pm where they will guarantee a CIR (Committed Information Rate) or just increase the bandwidth to 1Mbps at night.

Initially it will be Dublin, but I'm sure with the calls on boards for wider coverage, we will see progress.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

whoa.

What mode of delivery are they using? How reliable do you feel the information is?

err, is this a troll?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by Dangger
    Prices for residential is set at €40 for a 512kbps full duplex
    connection with a contention of 8:1 maximum.

They are considering a gamers connection for €70pm where they will guarantee a CIR (Committed Information Rate) or just increase the bandwidth to 1Mbps at night

to good to be true ?

can you shed a bit more light on how they intend to offer this? where in dublin you can get it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

Give me a few more days and their site will be live. I will be informed and then game on! Whaddya mean is this a troll!!! Have I ever? ;)

As with wireless the world over its going to take time to roll out coverage. Here is some information I have so far. "Initial coverage will be around Sandyford
    Industrial Estate, Donnybrook area (RTE mast), Blackrock, Park West and Dun Laoghaire. We will then roll out as demand arises from clients."

I mentioned this at the AGM, were some of you alseep?!

Doh!
    Yeh, remember now:)
    For some reason i got it into my head that this was a copper solution. I will dispense self-flagellation forthwith :)

Ps - Might as well get peoples hopes up again by splitting this into a new thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Sandyford Insutrial...? Are we talking about Sky-Net telecommunications here?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm underwhelmed, I'm in Waterford....:(

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭pertinax

the thread name was possible dublin broadband so tis inevitable to be dissapointed

Sorry, I'm respecting the request for a few more days before they go live with the offering. However its not Sky-Net.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

is that additional to the services already listed on their site?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

I feel your pain mike :(
    ah well, at least we have NTL...decent speeds, 48hrs at the weekend flat-rate...if it didnt have that 2hr cut-off, I'd be a much more paitent man..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

Dublin 15 folks :) there was at least 12 of us in the other thread looking for flat rate/broadband :]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

is full duplex, upload and download = same speed?

contention of 8:1 maximum, what does that mean?

and does Committed Information Rate = lowish pings?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Originally posted by l3rian
    is full duplex, upload and download = same speed?
    It means, technically, that you will be able to download at 512kbit and upload at 512kbit at the same time. In practice however there is usually an impact if you upload & download at the same time.
    contention of 8:1 maximum, what does that mean?
    It means that technically 8 subscribers will be fighting for the same bandwidth. Bear in mind that all consumer ISPS have contention, many dsl & cable isps have contention ratios of up to 50:1. In reality, it usually doesnt effect people a whole lot.
    and does Committed Information Rate = lowish pings?
    Pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

well, the positive side is its another company witha solution then the other shower of spanners we normally have to deal with...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭phoenix2181

yeah I'll beleive when i see it for real....ntl/cablelink have being promising me for the 4 years for cable modem.... I've been promised by eircon since july 1999 about having adsl, now they upgraded the bray exchange 7 they tell me my line fails.... I beleive the messiah will rise again before we have broadband at as exceptable level (cheap & widespread) :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Rez-N-8

Hi i'm from Letterkenny Co.Donegal i was talking to Mark a few days ago and we are getting broadband up here in a few days beamed from Derry plus a possible couple of satilite connections i keep you posted on the results

Rez

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Originally posted by phoenix2181
    yeah I'll beleive when i see it for real....ntl/cablelink have being promising me for the 4 years for cable modem.... I've been promised by eircon since july 1999 about having adsl, now they upgraded the bray exchange 7 they tell me my line fails.... I beleive the messiah will rise again before we have broadband at as exceptable level (cheap & widespread) :mad:

Hold the phone phoenix2181!

I just saw Jesus walking down the Stillorgan Dual Carraigeway!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭phoenix2181

god damn....I'll have to stop wearing that big white cloak...people are starting to get the wrong idea about me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Best definition of a Committed Information Rate is here: http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0%2C%2Csid7_gci213852%2C00.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by phoenix2181
    god damn....I'll have to stop wearing that big white cloak...people are starting to get the wrong idea about me ;)
    Yeah, and lose that beard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Mark_irl

Any news yet or is this the same old story for these boards?

Fingers crossed for a live web site on or around August 1st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

Should we expect something more substantial than...

"Click HERE to register your interest"

Or will offer products and services to purchase straight away.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by BoneCollector
    Should we expect something more substantial than...

"Click HERE to register your interest"

Or will offer products and services to purchase straight away.?
    Like beam? :)

url any1?

Originally posted by Dangger
    Fingers crossed for a live web site on or around August 1st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Hoojah Nickabolokov

please God givus somethin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Hoojah Nickabolokov

amen ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Gunn4r

Its Aug. 1st

(jumps up and down with excitement)

• Advertisement

messiah, dont let us down now :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement