Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop constantly crashing

• 24-07-2002 11:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

My laptop is constantly crashing.

It's an Advent 6413 (P4 Celeron 1.1Ghz, 256Mb RAM, AMI BIOS) and it comes with Windows Millennium. I had upgraded it to Windows 2000 SP2 and only recently it's started crashing randomly. Sometimes it'd crash before I got a chance to put my password in to log on - sometimes immediately afterwards - and sometimes it'd wait a few minutes after logon.

Today, it seemed to be okay, so while I was logged on, I backed up all my essential data onto CDROM - I'd just gotten the last of it backed up when it crashed :rolleyes: ... so I returned the machine to the state it was in when I bought it by booting with the 'Return to Factory Settings' CDROM thinking that - well - if it's a bug in Windows itself, at least I can zap everything, reinstall and it SHOULD be okay.

Guess what - it wasn't. Now it can't even get past the 'Windows Me' logo screen - it loads for a bit, shows that screen for about 5 seconds and powers off. I can get into Windows in Safe Mode only.

Strange thing I just noticed is that my BIOS date is being displayed in the startup sequence as 09/11/01 (September 11th 2001) - ... it MAY be a total coincidence, but I'd never noticed that before. I don't think I've contracted a virus on the system but I guess it's a possibility.

Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

- by the way, when I say it "crashes", I mean the screen suddenly goes black, has a blinking cursor at the top and after a few seconds, the machine powers down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cond0r

The date sounds strangely iffy... it could be a virus I suppose...
    What I was thinking was, it might be some device you have in the/attached to the laptop, because when you boot to safe mode you say its ok, which means loads of devices aren't enabled.
    It -could- also be the chip over heating, I wouldn't be too sure about that though.

Have a look through sarc and see can you find a virus that changes the bios date to 9-11.

Hope this might be a tiny bit of help.

< Cond0r >

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I've gotten onto Tech. Support and they're picking up the machine on Monday. I basically can't be bothered at this stage after trying for ages to sort it out myself. Thankfully I managed to back up all my essential data and I'm not going to lose any important work.

The Tech. Support bod doesn't seem to think it's a virus. I've seen no mention of a 9/11 virus although there's been a few hoaxes. I think it's just pure coincidence that the BIOS happened to be manufactured or installed or whatever on September 11th 2001 - it's just my paranoia kicking in thinking it's a virus - I doubt very much that it's likely.

It seems to simply be some sort of basic mechanical failure - or, quite possibly a failure in the APM system in the BIOS... I'm not sure... I guess I'll soon find out. The Tech Support gave me a number for the repair centre so that once they get the machine I can track the repairs and find out exactly what the story is.

Bad timing, dammit. I've got work to do!

Advertisement