Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How terrible the "Resident Evil" film adaptation is

Options
  • 25-07-2002 3:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭

I went to see the film "Resident Evil" yesterday with Cathal. I can say (and I am NOT exagerrating, I really mean this) that every single minute I spent enduring that pathetic, woeful and absolutley gargantuanly bad film is a minute that I have lost for all eternity and which I will never regain. This, above all else about this absolute testement to the unconquerable ability of mankind to create a ****up of immense, nay colossal proportions, is the most depressing part of my whole "Resident Evil" experience.

I mean, a film about "Resident Evil" could be so good. All the basic material is there, the T-virus, the zombies, Umbrella corporation. I mean, why not simply make a film based on the story of the first game.
    This is how my Resident Evil film would have gone.

-Contact lost with a remote mansion.
    -SWAT team sent in.
    -Contact lost with SWAT team.
    -A second team sent in.
    -This team is an elite military unit. The best of the best.
    -Second team discovers mansion
    -Attacked by a creature, one member killed.
    -Team hides in mansion. Barricades the doors.
    -Team then discovers that the mansion is infested with zombies.
    -Team is forced deeper into the Mansion, killed off one by one as they try to escape. Discover the truth about the T-virus etc etc
    -Team find a way out, but have to confront the Tyrant (a genetically engineered killing organism)
    -Survivors escape, mansion destroyed in an explosion.
    THE END

There, that's your average suvival horror/adventure. The formaula worked in Aliens, Predator, Pitch Black and a dozen other films. But whoever wrote and directed "Resident Evil" hadn't heard the words "Pacing" "Closure" or even "Storyline".

1)Scenes were put in wherever there was room, regardless of whether they were useful or not (for example, there's a five minute scene with the zombie dogs, added in purely so that the dogs themselves were in the movie, no one got killed, no one made any breakthroughs, it did not add to the story in any way, there was no point to that scene at all)

2)There were characters put in whose only purpose was to die (yes, they're to be found in EVERY survival horror, but they added in 4 of them and then killed them off in the same scene, and even then, they weren't killed by the movie's main bad guys, the zombies, but by the secondary bad guy, the computer, before the zombies even showed up.) Basically, half the cast was killed off before the bad guys even showed up. What was the point in having them.

Okay, I can't think of any more to say except, this is a terrible film and an insult to he "Resident Evil" games.

3)The film was gory. I don't mean the film should have been all nice and laa dee da, but the film was gory for the sake of being gory. In "Alien", the best survival hooror film ever, there was only one really gory scene, the chest burst, but because it was so disturbing, it was really memorable. In "Resident Evil", I can vaugely remember a dozen gory scenes, but I can't remember any one specifically, because it was happening so often, I stopped noticing the gore, I beame de-sensitised.

Did you think that "Resident Evil" was a good film and a good adaption of the games 6 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    33% 2 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    66% 4 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

heard it was good.
    haven't seen yet.

first bad review i've heard of it actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭imp

Even I, who rarely look upon a PSX know that it was a bad adaptation of the games BUT it was a very enjoyable movie, despite the constant bad reviews I keep hearing.

So nih.

}:>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭s0l

dude, its was resident evil film addaption, let me repeat that resident evil.

you can tell by the ads, only go to see the film if you want two very nice lovelys jumping about sweating. that and the director had ony ever directed _music videos_ before the film? I mean christ.

but it was the best game too film adaption I've seen, I mean, eek street fighter *shudder*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

hey, I liked the movie. And not just because of the 2 lovelies. I enjoyed the games and I thought the movie rocked. So. there,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 General_Lee_Erudite

Come on!!! "Bazookatone" what a load of sh1t!

1 - It was better that tomb raider.
    2 - you must be completely brain dead as a direct result of the T virus to sit in the cinema like a mindless zombie watching a movie that you hated more with every second.
    3 - your 'classic' horror movie story line is what is called a "flop"! every horror flick is just as how you stated and that is why they all failed except for the few that broke the moulds (i.e. Aliens 1/4, The Exorcist etc.)

I saw the movie with a load of my friends and i loved every minute of it. from the steadily revealed storyline to the well timed fight scenes with excellent music in sync and an excellent lead female.

now i don't believe that this is a matter of opinion but whether or not you are a gamer and familiar with the psx game is irrelevant because if you are not it is completely intriguing and unknown and if you are, well you are given everything that you see and expect from the game.

in regards to you classifing the zombies as enemy no.1 and red queen as no.2, i don't even believe that you could be further from the truth because red queen is the catalyst in the whole equation. the T virus' effect on humans is purely a sub plot because it is a developmental stage where the final stage is a military unkillable human.

this film is a simple no brainer on multiple levels.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

What about the Manga Streetfighter adaption? HAHAHAHA!

Now roll on Duke Nukem movie! ;p XXX WITH ROCKET LAUNCHERS AND ALIENS! WHOOP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭s0l

Hey Baby, Wanna dance? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

Heard it was good.

Not a big fan of the games.

A

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Green Hand Guy

I haven't seen it yet but from the clips of it I saw it looks crap. The big powerful zombie thing looks totally fake and the "Zombie Dogs" look like normal dogs wrapped in toilet paper. The special effects are so out-dated.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Originally posted by Bazookatone
    There, that's your average suvival horror/adventure. The formaula worked in Aliens, Predator, Pitch Black and a dozen other films. But whoever wrote and directed "Resident Evil" hadn't heard the words "Pacing" "Closure" or even "Storyline".

The bit there about the "formula" there is the biggest pile of sh1te i've ever heard. would you have prefered if it was the exact same as every other movie around?

2)There were characters put in whose only purpose was to die (yes, they're to be found in EVERY survival horror, but they added in 4 of them and then killed them off in the same scene, and even then, they weren't killed by the movie's main bad guys, the zombies, but by the secondary bad guy, the computer, before the zombies even showed up.) Basically, half the cast was killed off before the bad guys even showed up. What was the point in having them.

Actually, i thought that was good, as it kinda was unexpected, what with the leader and a load others dieing within a short while. that laser bit was stolen completely though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Kiwisco

My friend is the essence of a Res Evil fan. He has gotten every ps1 ps2 pc n64 and gameboy version of res evil, and even some of the same game on different consoles, and even the same game on the same console cause it was slightly different and japanese. And HE LOVED THE FILM?????

I'm lazy, needless to say, and have not yet seen the film. But for those who expected some sort of miraculous ground breaking film need to think,,,,, hard!

The script writers were not given scratch to work from in order to make a completely new and different film! They were given an already made plot? Practically all they had to do was make minor adjustments to the script which would make the film more visable and make out the dialogue! Perhaps they felt unimportant so they altered the plot a little?

But my point is that they weren't given very much room. They 'HAD' to work off an already well developed film concept of the attacking alien/shark/snakes/gorilla etc. or as this case would have it 'zombie'. You cannot expect this film to be ground-breaking! It has to be the standard survival against all odds film? doesn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Elvish

Have all the PSX games but havn't watched the film. I have it here beside me on cd, but i havn't watched it.

Advertisement