Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of moving....

• 22-05-2001 2:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭

Right I'm in two minds atm wether I stay where I am or not I was just wondering does anyone out there have a position for me.

Langs. VB6/VBS/C/C++/ASM/Open Script(Tool book)/Install Script(Install Shield 5)/SQL/MDX

Techs. OOP/D, (D)COM(+), MTS, OLAP, .NET,ASP

I wont lie my C/C++/ASM is gone to crap since I havent got to do any in years but if needed I would be able to pick it up again.
    But I'm very strong in VB and SQL. Esp SQL (MS MSQL 6.5/7/2000). I've over 3 years exp in fincial services and Insurance services.
    Any one have any offers???

kayos

When you get to hell tell them I sent you,
    you'll get a group discount...

tribes.gameshop.ie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,464 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You'll probably get better notice on the 'Work' board

Changing call sign to SIERRA PAPA OSCAR OSCAR FOXTROT.

[This message has been edited by Victor (edited 25-05-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,464 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Self note: conduct sanity check

Changing call sign to SIERRA PAPA OSCAR OSCAR FOXTROT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Victor:
    You'll probably get better notice on the 'Work' board

</font>

This is the work board

kayos

When you get to hell tell them I sent you,
    you'll get a group discount...

tribes.gameshop.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Loomer

I think he was joking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 madmax

Since your thinking of leaving, are there any vacancies where you are now, or would you recomend not working there?

I'm thinking of moving on myself similar experience sql/vb/asp/html how are you finding the job market?

They say here that they are always trying to hire, i could pass on your cv, we're a galway based bespoke development company.

• Advertisement

nah its not infopoint. Its FairField software, based in Ballybrit estate.

we do systems for hospital/doctor systems for the UK market, mostly Web based now.

It's not bad stuff, ms based and pretty high tech, we're looking to do new development in .NET once it's released ( the custmer is very keen for some reason)

The main reason I'm looking to go is that I'm not too comfortable here as I had a major blowout at my boss at a company night out a few months ago, I just don't see myself getting on to well here, but it's a personality thing, it's not a bad place to work really.

Hmmm never actualy heard of them. As for your client wanting .dot net I honestly would not blame them I have it at home and man is it sweet (no anti MS comments pls). As I said we are looking for staff atm and if you want to check our company out http://www.dmtintl.com we mainly work in banking/insurance stuff. If you like the look and want to try send me your CV and I'll pass it on.

kayos

I'm doing up my C.V. (just got to add a few more little lies) .I will send it as soon as I have it completed. I not really in the same boat as you in that I just want to get out of here. It is not nice place to work, there is big click (that I have chosen not to be part of) and besides I work for an idiot. Whats your place like? At least you can go for pints in town after work. Nice web site by the way.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I work with kayos...

Our place is a bit pants tbh - can't listen to music while you work, must wear semi-formal clothing, must not think you're a software company, must not expose what a con the insurance industry is - and so on curlydav.gif

Joking aside, it's an ok place to work in (I'm relativly new, so I haven't been turned). The folks are good, but they need to realise it IS a software shop and not and insurance one.

All the best!
    Dav
    @B^)
    We were all set for a game of Ice Hockey when Frank Williams says "Sorry lads, I've forgotten my skates!"
    [honey i] violated [the kids]
    Tribes 2 Goodness
    The Dawn of the Beefy King approaches...

madmax that company sound very fimaliar you wouldn't work for infopoint would you??? As for jobs where I work yep just fire me over your cv and I'll pass it on. I'm thinking of moving more out of seeing what I could get more than anything.

kayos

PS if the answer to the first question was yes say hi to Trev for me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 deadbeef

Hi Madmax,

What kind of ppl are ye're company looking for? I don't have a degree, but I've a couple of years VB & SQL. Do they take non-grads ?

Also, do they pay OK. I'm on 12k at the moment, but I'd really be looking for 14 to move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

If you have a couple of years experience they'll interview you to see if you're any good. If you're good enough they'll give you the job. I've only finished my diploma this summer (no degree) and I've been working as a developer for 4 years full-time (vb and now Java too), 6 years in total if you include testing.

I agree about getting some bits of paper though shows you know what you say you know. But 14k? Jesus tell them your on 18k and you want 20.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

14k???

Jesus man - you're really touching your toes there! Have you got any bits of paper that say you know the stuff? If not get some and that figure will go to 20k.

All the best!
    Dav
    @B^)
    We were all set for a game of Ice Hockey when Frank Williams says "Sorry lads, I've forgotten my skates!"
    [honey i] violated [the kids]
    Tribes 2 Goodness
    The Dawn of the Beefy King approaches...

I don't think they would take you if you were not a Grad. They want grads because they do not want someone that just learnt VB script and suddenly they think they are a software engineer. I dont really think thats fair. Even without the degree you dont seem to be doing to bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Mnemoniac

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by madmax:
    I don't think they would take you if you were not a Grad. They want grads because they do not want someone that just learnt VB script and suddenly they think they are a software engineer. I dont really think thats fair. Even without the degree you dont seem to be doing to bad </font>

There is only one language.

Hi Kayos/Kharn/deadbeef,

I stumbled across this on cnn there is hope for you yet.

100-year-old finally gets college degree
    June 1, 2001 Posted: 12:37 AM EDT (0437 GMT)
    MISSOURI VALLEY, Iowa (AP) -- A 100-year-old Iowa woman received a special birthday present Wednesday -- her college diploma from the University of Nebraska at Omaha.
    Myrtle Thomas taught for nearly 20 years at a time when a high school diploma was all that was needed. She took college courses for her bachelor's degree in education, including at the University of Nebraska at Omaha. But to get her diploma she would have been required to quit teaching to do 16 weeks of student teaching.
    Her daughter, Janice Mart, said her mother always was bothered about never obtaining the degree.
    Thomas' great-grandson, Chad Rotolo, set out to correct the situation. He enlisted the aid of the dean of the education department, John Christensen, who with others at the college decided to waive the student-teaching requirement.
    Christensen drove 25 miles to the Longview Nursing Home to present Thomas with her degree, and to thank her for dedicating her life to education.
    Rotolo then issued Thomas a challenge. He said if she kept working, she might get her masters by age 105.
    She chuckled and said "that would be a stroke of luck."

Advertisement