Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOFFL asked for input into PCLive ISP road test

Options
  • 25-07-2002 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

IrelandOffline are off to meet PC Live tomorrow (Friday 25/7/02) to discuss their annual ISP quality survey. Once a year, they ask readers for their opinions on the quality of service their ISP of choice provides them with.

The survey has been successful for PC Live previously in that they have received a huge response and got a lot of national media coverage for it, and in the process have highlighted some very important issues.

They would now like to take the process a step further and test the dial-up ISPs in a controlled test lab environment.

They have asked for input for drawing up a set of testing criteria.

Could we get thinking about this and get some ideas together?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

wont matter what you say as the "blistering quick " DSL will win and the "dload huge files" ...
    those guys just rewrite the eircom ads into topics.

used to like that magazine as well.

kdja

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

-Number of redials required to get a connection at different times of the day.
    -Speed of connection at different time of the day.
    -Dropped connections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by kdja
    wont matter what you say as the "blistering quick " DSL will win and the "dload huge files" ...
    those guys just rewrite the eircom ads into topics.
    As Dangger says in his post, it is dial-up ISPs they are testing.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I suppose an interesting one may be the software on the installation cd. How easy it is to set up, how intrusive it is after installing. What browser software it has. Free email addresses, webspace etc. Do they have a newsgroup server. That's all the weird things I can think of for now!

Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

they should test them for gaming quality - see which one is the best for games by measuring ping and packet loss to various servers.

They should measure performance at peak times when its difficult to get on 6-9 in the evening.

They should state whether the ISPs provide game servers or game information on their websites (like IOLs game portal with all the different servers etc.. on it).

The whole computer gaming part of an isp is more important these days, isps over in britain like blue yonder are always running ads in pc gamer magazine saying how low their pings are etc.. how good their service is for gaming.

• Advertisement

I reckon they should also run the battery of tests from a variety of locations. This would also show up the variability in quality generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

SkepticOne took the words out of my mouth. A number of people outside the DUblin area often complain of crazy amounts of login attempts before even getting a 2-3 minute connection.

If PCLive were to ask for volunteers from a cross section of the country's users, it may be more accurate. That said, these "tests" would need to be audited properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Hannibal_12

Tell them to try dialing IOL "Gold" during the day, you know the 1891 reduced cost day access service, if you can get on at all you are lucky. For a subscription service it is abysmal during the day, the time it is supposedly designed for. I imagine alot of small businesses swamp it during the day and so for the average user its nearly impossible to connect at all (sometimes) or at a decent rate (all the time)

Speed of connection:

As well as reported connection speed, there needs to be timings done on sustained download speeds from a variety of popular sources.

Gaming:

Latency when connection is optimised for gaming.

Quality:

Dropped packets etc., variability in reported connection speeds.

Availability:

Ability to get through at different times during the day. If possible, it would be good to get the user/modem ratio out of the ISP.

For accuracy, the above tests should be carried out from a variety of geographical locations.

Price:

Details of subscription, on-peak and off-peak call charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

I know its obvious, but the whole thing should be preceded and footnoted by the lack of any sort of FRIACO type deal. ok, so its not the ISPs fault, but if PC Live wont give you column inches who will?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Originally posted by kdja
    used to like that magazine as well.

kdja

Me too :( Every month though it seems to be getting smaller, and most of the topics are virtually the same but with a different title (how many times can you write about portable work devices?)

*sigh*

Best ISP in my opinion is still UTV Internet or the non-subscription Esat deal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Me too :( Every month though it seems to be getting smaller, and most of the topics are virtually the same but with a different title (how many times can you write about portable work devices?)

Guys, I know it's probably stating the obvious, but you should tell them. Editors and writers /want/ to hear from their readership -- it's the only way they can /really/ know whether they're getting it right or wrong. Fire off an email to them.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

let them know that gamers, like I once was, cannot afford to keep playing any more, as of the huge bills

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Originally posted by Tizlox
    let them know that gamers, like I once was, cannot afford to keep playing any more, as of the huge bills

Maybe that should be changed to "let them know that nobody can afford to stay online for any length of time now because of the huge bills."

I think that would pretty much cover all the bases, wouldn't it? :D

Originally posted by dahamsta

Guys, I know it's probably stating the obvious, but you should tell them. Editors and writers /want/ to hear from their readership -- it's the only way they can /really/ know whether they're getting it right or wrong. Fire off an email to them.

adam

Hey Adam,

Thanks for the advice - I gave that one a show back in October 2001. I hope they considered it - but chances are that they didn't!

Anyway ^_^ that's life. I think PCLive! should consider hiring one or two more writers - a more comprehensive gaming section, more thought-provoking net reviews and most of all - more hardware based articles (How to set up a LAN...a WAN...I don't think I've ever seen that kind of stuff in the magazine and I bought it for ten straight months... :rolleyes: I'd even work for free :p

Heading back to topic though! UTV Internet has to be the number one - for such a small company they have made a tremendous impact, and in my experience their customer support is nothing short of immaculate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Xian

Originally posted by Dustaz
    I know its obvious, but the whole thing should be preceded and footnoted by the lack of any sort of FRIACO type deal. ok, so its not the ISPs fault, but if PC Live wont give you column inches who will?
    Yer not foolin anyone, Dusty. I know yer just looking for FRIACO coz once we get it ye can shout from the rooftops for 20Mb connections for all without fear of gettin flamed. Yer just an "Objective 3"-head is all. Splitter!

... ahem: cue flame-proof smiley... ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Yes, its all part of my grand plan. Im actually Mr Deep Throat in Esat starting rumours about rubbish flat rate so that i can consolidate my broadband troopers and STORM IOFFL HQ!!!

Originally posted by Dustaz
    Yes, its all part of my grand plan. Im actually Mr Deep Throat in Esat starting rumours about rubbish flat rate so that i can consolidate my broadband troopers and STORM IOFFL HQ!!!

Iiiiiiii KNEW IT!

You and your Lionel Hutz avatar...you don't fool me...! *dramatic gasp**Various poses*

Send in the jackbooted stormtroopers...or the polyester jacket eircom reps...just send in something! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Vicky_Vixen

Originally posted by NoelRock

*sigh*

I used to like it too. But they put the price up by a pound a while back and then it started to get smaller. How can they do that?

Are there any other Irish PC-Technology magazines out there we could read?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by NoelRock

Heading back to topic though! UTV Internet has to be the number one - for such a small company they have made a tremendous impact, and in my experience their customer support is nothing short of immaculate.

I stand by that statement too. I joined up (when I first went online at home) with them when they were dna-internet, and have stayed with them since. They are nothing short of outstanding.

Tech support is always helpful when you need it, and they DO call you back when they say they will. Oh, and I connect on first attempt 99.99% of the time and get in excess of 45kbps most of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

well I managed to get an article written about little old me and one of my clients in this month's (August) edition of PC Live.

haven't seen the article yet so maybe they'll just tear me to shreds, i hope not though! It's all publicity though, right. Right... Right ... ?

so buy it this month :) !

anyone know what date it comes out on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭lara

But they put the price up by a pound a while back and then it started to get smaller. How can they do that?

Advertising revenues decide the size of the magazine, not the cover price... if advertising drops (courtesy of the tech slump/economic downturn) pages have to be cut too. Is a sad fact of publishing industry....
    :(

I think Adam is right - if you email them, maybe they'll take your suggestions into consideration. It can't hurt to try - if you email the editor and copy the assistant editor and staff writers, someone is bound to notice your mail! :)

well I managed to get an article written about little old me and one of my clients in this month's (August) edition of PC Live.

Who's your company, nahdoic, or am I supposed to ask? :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

a good possible test:
    download a specific file - over different dialup - the cost should speak for itself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TomF

I've also found that IOL-Gold goes to a snails-pace during business hours.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by lara
    Who's your company, nahdoic, or am I supposed to ask? :)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59439

thought that might have been it alright.

nice website!

Advertisement