Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NTL Digital Question

• 25-07-2002 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

I was informed by a customer service rep that 80% of Dublin has been upgraded to digital quality cable and that the part of Dublin 16 that I live in is in the 20%?

Is this really the case? Also I have read elsewhere that people have achieved some success after a little bitching & moaning, is this true.

I live in rented accommodation and digital without a satellite would seem to be the best option (if it was available!).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

Can't help with either Dublin 16 or NTL info. but I can inform you that Chorus (a dismally inferior cable company/telco.) in Cork informed me (repeatedly) that their telephone service was yet to be 'rolled out in my area'. This was clearly crap as my neighbours all used it. I employed the 'bitching and moaning' approach with the result that they're coming to install my 'phone connection next week. Good luck. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

Originally posted by Wookie
    I was informed by a customer service rep that 80% of Dublin has been upgraded to digital quality cable and that the part of Dublin 16 that I live in is in the 20%?

Is this really the case?

yeah, you are the 1st person to post here in a while saying that you can't get it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Apparently its not unknown for NTL STBs to work on "not digitally upgraded" connections, but if NTL are telling you your area is not digitally upgraded, they are playing it safe. Think of the disappointment to you (not to mention cost to NTL) if they came out to install your box, and it didn't work because of low signal strength?

Its not that the actual cable has been upgraded - the cabling into my house is there ten years now - but a lot of the trunk lines have, also signal boosters have apparently been installed in many areas. Much of the cabling in certain areas still dates from the 1960s and in that case would be in rather poor condition by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Wookie

Thanks for the response folks.

It funny that you mentioned the cable on houses thing. Cos last year at some stage NTL came around and ripped off all the old cable from the houses on my road and replaced it. So it could be down to signal strength. I could have digital yet! Hopefully it will be sooner rather than later?

Cheers

Advertisement