Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sol, Rio, Sami: Who Is The Premiership's Best Centre Back?

• 25-07-2002 4:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

Whos the Daddy?

I vote Sami, but I think when Rio hits 28 he'll be outstanding.

Whos the Best Central defender in the Premiership 28 votes

Sami
    0% 0 votes
    Rio
    78% 22 votes
    Sol
    21% 6 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

without a doubt in my mind.... olazan alpay of aston villa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭Xterminator

I voted Sol Campbell of the 3, tho you left out Southgate, Ugo Eheog, Dean Richards, Johnatan Woodgate, Stephan Henchoz, Alpay, Desailley, Gary Breen (alright now i'm joking ..)

But seriously, there are other contenders.

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭Stinkah

Well for the last two seasons Sami has been best. And that's not just my opinion but the opinion of his peers, who voted him outright player of the year for the season just past.

It's got nothing to do with the fact that I'm an avid pool fan and sami is my favourite player too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Sami boy, of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Sami Hyppia owns us all!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I suppose you should take into account the number of goals conceeded and the number of fowls commiteed and the number of cards picked up so that means Sami I think.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

My vote goes to Sol.

As for Hyppia its not that hard to look good when you have seven other defenders around you on the edge of the box. If the scousers had a more cavalier midfield I bet the back four would be shown up for what it really is.

Average.

Also sooner or later either Hyppia or Henchoz will pick up an injury that keeps them out for 4, 5 or 6 weeks and we will see just how good they are without their partner. I cant remember either of them being out for as long as that while they have been at pool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by bucks73

...sooner or later either Hyppia or Henchoz will pick up an injury that keeps them out for 4, 5 or 6 weeks and we will see just how good they are without their partner. I cant remember either of them being out for as long as that while they have been at pool.

Thats a fair observation, and I dont understand why Houlier
    has'nt sought to boost the central defence postions. Luckily both are very fit.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

William Gallas is outstanding and the boy will only get better, him and Terry are a great combination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭Littletinyman

Hyypia... Campbell and Ferdinand are both donkeys :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Originally posted by smuckers
    William Gallas is outstanding and the boy will only get better, him and Terry are a great combination.

he wontbe at chelsea too much longer tho, he has a clause in his contract that means he can leave for any bid of £7.5m or more, and leeds are on the case to get him in to replace ferdinand

Leeds have confirmed that they don't want him, the 7.5mil contract clause migh not exist contracts are confidential as we all know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Bob the Unlucky Octopus

Originally posted by Littletinyman
    Hyypia... Campbell and Ferdinand are both donkeys :P

Heh, now that's a riot if I ever saw one. Rio Ferdinand was touted as the first English defender with true two-footed skill on the ball since Bobby Moore. Seems that Sol's charging runs forward from defense at France 98 have also been quickly forgotten. Of the three, that big lug of a Finnish beanpole would seem to be your donkey.

I vote Sol Campbell- after a shaky start he showed what sort of consistent peformances in defence win titles. His partner changed fairly regularly, but he really looked the part, in his first season too.

Occy

Rio will have his work cut out when he comes to the bridge and he'll be facing Jimmy Floyd and The Smuck Man will be there. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Litlletinyman, anyone who thinks Rio Ferdinand and Sol Campbell are donkeys really needs to pull his head out of his arse. FFS did you not watch any Leeds or Arsenal games in the second half of last season, both were outstanding. I suppose that Vladimir Smicer is also the best midfielder in the country too?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

mathias holland is the best center-defender in the top league no doubt about it

Advertisement